Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Squire Line Customizations Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Albion Squire Line Customizations         Reply with quote

I think the Squire lines makes a nice basket of project swords. Nice blades. Nice furniture. Sharpen. Re-grip. Add a few risers. They are easy to transform into more than what they start out as. For example, you can take a standard 15th Century Bastard sword (below from Albion page):

Attachment: 29.88 KB
squire-bastard3.jpg

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: And do something like this         Reply with quote

Phone photos at dusk are phone photos!

Attachment: 120.44 KB
sqlb1 (600 x 450).jpg
with the extra bits

Attachment: 112.37 KB
SQLb2 (600 x 450).jpg
a bit closer

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: I just wish...         Reply with quote

That there were some more Squire Line options. Maybe a longer Type XV. Maybe something Roman. Figure its just fun to think about. Regardless, please share your Squire Line customizations. I'm sure there are more of them and I'd like to see what people have come up with
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nobody customizes these things?

Surprised!

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the price of customization, you are getting into Next Gen prices, so the question becomes, how important for you is to have a scabbard?
Brian M.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your improvements look great Joe. And I like the thread idea - hoping to see more DIY here.

I always really liked the version Lukas MG posted here a while back. Nice photos of another customized 15th C. Bastard Sword in this thread.

I've had my eye on the Squire Line Gotland for a while now. Just missed it - Viking Shield had one or more in stock a few weeks ago. Some day I'll have one and would love to see more inspiration for customization from all you talented people.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Luka pointed out, it isn't cost-effective if you are paying someone to do the work, but doing the customization yourself can be lots of fun and really improve these swords. I haven't done much lately, but here are some older grip re-wraps that I did on a couple of Squire Line swords. I also made scabbards for each of these, but I don't have pictures handy.

A Squire Line Knightly Sword:

More info/images here

A Squire Line Great Sword (original/Mk I model):

More info/images here

The person to whom I sold the Great Sword was going to use it for a project, so there has probably been further customization to that piece, but I haven't seen if they posted the results.

-- Greyson

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Need to make sure to let it be known that my customizations were done by VA.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not sure I entirely agree that paying somebody to enhance these things can't be cost effective. Sure the big names are going to run you a penny but they are going to run you a penny no matter what. There are plenty of names that are a bit off the regular path that can do nice work for not that much cost.

If you're doing it yourself, which I do agree is the sweet spot for these, you can end up with really good bang for buck.

I just wish there were a few more options as I can't self justify the cost of most of the squire line anymore. They are great products but I just don't have the same disposable income as I once had.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 17 Nov, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
With the price of customization, you are getting into Next Gen prices, so the question becomes, how important for you is to have a scabbard?

Mileage varies. Happy

In this case I expect to use it a part of my costume kit in settings where nobody will know the difference between this, and Next Gen, and Museum Line (or care). Which is most places actually. Having the scabbard and suspension is valuable to me and the extra cost of the other lines add nothing to the equation.

Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Mileage varies. Happy

I agree, take for instance this example below by maciej kopciuch, priced around a thousand euros if I'm not mistaken.
The sword and fittings from Tod already adding up to around 600/700, That leaves 300/400 euros for the sharpening, re-polish, lined scabbard, rain guard and extensive leather work - a steal.

So I'd say you can get amazing deals by having Albion squire lines professionally customized.

This one by the way is my favorite conversion of an ASL. Problem with maciej is that he tends to materialize exactly the outcome I had in mind for some of my projects, hence I'm prompted to move on to something else Happy
But the albion XV century bastard never completely falls off my list either - a bit of sharpening+a custom grip and you have a mercenary? Too tempting indeed! So I may still give it a go once day (I've posted for a used one on the marketplace about 5 or 6 times already).
Cheers,
J

Attachment: 144.91 KB
13522835_1729988690603360_6182764000792068481_o (Small).jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Squire Line Customizations
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic