Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Are there any unfullered lenticular blades after Viking age? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Are there any unfullered lenticular blades after Viking age?         Reply with quote

I am aware of only one unfullered lenticular blade from the Viking age http://sword-site.com/thread/495/lenticular-u...king-sword

It seems that after that period (mid 11th century onward) all lenticular European swords are fullered, every single one of them without exception.

But is that actually true? I would find it really fascinating if somebody could show me an example of a lenticular sword from the High Middle Ages or later that doesn't have a fuller.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of examples from Oakeshott's 'Records of the Medieval Sword' are XII.16 and XV.3 (XVs are usually diamond-ridged, but this one appears to be lenticular). I've seen a few others but don't recall where.
Sam Arwas

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
A couple of examples from Oakeshott's 'Records of the Medieval Sword' are XII.16 and XV.3 (XVs are usually diamond-ridged, but this one appears to be lenticular). I've seen a few others but don't recall where.
XII 16 debatably has a fuller. XV3 is interesting, didn't know it was lenticular
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have any good pictures to share but I know that there is a two handed sword, with an Irish style ring pommel, which has an unfullered lenticular shaped blade. It is in the National Museum of Ireland, in Dublin. I'm sure you will be able to find pictures with a quick Google image search.
Éirinn go Brách
Simon McKenna

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a number of examples that don't neatly fit any specific Oakeshott typology and here's one from a private collection that I was recently lucky enough to not only see but also capture scan data for - thought to be 14th or 15th century. Its lenticular in x-section throughout its 41" of blade length.

Attachment: 41.25 KB
Polygon model.jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Are there any unfullered lenticular blades after Viking age?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic