Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Affordable Light Weight Infantry Sabers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Travis McLeod

PostPosted: Tue 24 Oct, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Affordable Light Weight Infantry Sabers         Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm currently in the market for a well balanced light weight saber. My budget is $250 absolute tops and I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible. I also have a preference for pre-Civil War era sabers as I find the more minimalist guards to be aesthetically appealing.

I'd love to hear anybodies thoughts or recommendations, good or bad, about cheap sabers on the market. I currently have my eye on the Windlass American Revolution Saber but that could easily change.

Cheers!

Last edited by Travis McLeod on Tue 24 Oct, 2017 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jordan E. Williams

PostPosted: Wed 25 Oct, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an antique I'll be putting up next week. It's an Austrian M1861 Infantry Officers sabre, stays close to early sabre roots though with a B guard.
His Imperial and Royal Majesty Hordan Vilhelm the Great, by the Grace of God, German Emperor and King of Prussia, Margrave of Brandenburg, Burgrave of Nuremberg, Count of Hohenzollern, Duke of Silesia and of the County of Glatz, Grand Duke of the Lower Rhine!
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd look around at any local antique/militaria shops, curio shops,
at the mentioned budget or higher, I would still look at antique,
a lot of the repro stuff looks very nice, but until you hit higher level (expensive)
they cant compete with the handling of the antique sabres, they were made to do the job,
of the few swords I've sold, three old sabres in various condition are still in the Doh bracket, Cry
try as many as you can, Wink
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Affordable Light Weight Infantry Sabers         Reply with quote

Travis McLeod wrote:

I'd love to hear anybodies thoughts or recommendations, good or bad, about cheap sabers on the market. I currently have my eye on the Windlass American Revolution Saber!

The MRL American Revolution saber is a mixed bag. it's pretty typical of cheap semi modern sword; slightly whippy but well tempered, threaded tang that goes through a pommel nut, folded leather sheath, etc. Mine is a solid budget sword that is pretty handsome. The grip is ok with gloves. One "con" is that it is definitely a light cavalry sword; very tip heavy which works if you know how to toss that weight around fighting saber. I was satisfied with it at ~$140 if memory serves.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 02 Nov, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Royal Sword has some possibilities
http://www.theroyalsword.com/english-american-swords.html
http://www.theroyalsword.com/swords.html
(contact to confirm availability)

There have been some of the above on ebay

The Cold Steel and other's not that horrible but much matters on what the purpose is. Antiques for appreciation and solo practice can be ok but if wanting a cutter, finding a sound example can be difficult. I bought a 200 yr mounted artillery sword for cutting and lucked out as far as usability goes. Even with a 33" blade, seemingly toy like compared to the Cold Steel 1796 lc.

Expectations go a long way as far as window shopping goes as well. You started with the Hungarian sabre you were unhappy with, then look at the other end of the spectrum with D guard bowies and are now looking at other comparisons of sabres again. I would not judge the overall market from having the Hungarian but at the same time, expectations are going to be forever clouded until determining what one really expects. An overly long reproduction is going to suck, compared to a shorter reproduction a nd both will often pale in comparison to authentic period swords.

The Potter sword from the Royal Sword is listed as in stock and I am curious myself. That and others have been on ebay. GGGodwin had an eagle sabre on ebay that looked better than his website pictures. Someone scooped it up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1812-eagle-head-pommel-officers-sword/292310880016?

Cheers

GC
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword has without a doubt the most period accurate blade profile of any non-custom sword:
https://en.empirecostume.com/light-cavalry-sabre-troop-copy-c76-a8101.htm

It has been reviewed very favorably online, and follows the design of the original almost to the letter.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Affordable Light Weight Infantry Sabers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic