Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > HEMA and SCA fencing compatibility Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Austin Eden

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: HEMA and SCA fencing compatibility         Reply with quote

So I'm into the SCA AND HEMA. The problem is that my wallet is not really on my side with this. I figured others might be in the same boat so I thought I would start a general thread along the lines of either saving money so you can do both, or if anyone knows about products that can be used in both clubs.

To give a feel for what I mean by this, does anyone know if the Albion leictenhaur blunt can be used in both HEMA and the SCA cut and thrust fencing? I got a hold of one at a renfaire a few months ago and the balance and everything left me drooling so I'm hoping I can use it for both.

Direct all insults to me on twitter @Tig_Viking or dont. Thats cool too.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HEMA and SCA fencing compatibility         Reply with quote

Austin Eden wrote:
To give a feel for what I mean by this, does anyone know if the Albion leictenhaur blunt can be used in both HEMA and the SCA cut and thrust fencing?

Measuring the flexibility of my Liechtenauer, it isn't even close to meeting the flexibility requirement for SCA. The requirement is 12mm deflection by a 170g weight at the tip, and my Liectenauer is deflected by about 10mm by 340g.

Many HEMA groups/tournaments don't consider the Liechtenauer sufficiently flexible, either.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Austin Eden

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HEMA and SCA fencing compatibility         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
Austin Eden wrote:
To give a feel for what I mean by this, does anyone know if the Albion leictenhaur blunt can be used in both HEMA and the SCA cut and thrust fencing?

Measuring the flexibility of my Liechtenauer, it isn't even close to meeting the flexibility requirement for SCA. The requirement is 12mm deflection by a 170g weight at the tip, and my Liectenauer is deflected by about 10mm by 340g.

Many HEMA groups/tournaments don't consider the Liechtenauer sufficiently flexible, either.

Well damn lol. It's a shame really such a beautiful blunt.

Direct all insults to me on twitter @Tig_Viking or dont. Thats cool too.
T. Kew

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's an excellent blunt - one of the very best on the market. For technique interpretation, drilling, and so on, it is a fantastic sword.

What it's not particularly suitable for is hard fencing, tournaments and so on. Even with excellent protective gear, it hits hard, thrusts strongly, and can really mess someone up. This issue is basically why the vast majority of HEMA tournaments use feders instead of blunts (for more detail on this general topic, see Michael Chidester's article on triangulation in HEMA).

If you want to pick up something that's definitely suitable for tournament type use in both the SCA and HEMA, go talk to Castille or Darkwood.

HEMA fencer and coach, New Cross Historical Fencing

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > HEMA and SCA fencing compatibility
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic