Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > AN XIII Pistol Percussion Conversion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Sanford

PostPosted: Fri 25 Aug, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: AN XIII Pistol Percussion Conversion         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information regarding when the An xiii pistols were converted to percussion and how long they remained in service and with what units?
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a Wikipedia reference for the 1840s for their conversion to percussion. However, it confuses the issue by saying that was when those still in service were converted but seems to say they were at the end of their service life about that time. You can interpret that for yourself but my view would be that by the early 1850s, when revolvers were beginning to be more plentiful that the single shot percussion would have been phased out.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
J. Sanford

PostPosted: Sat 26 Aug, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found a discussion on a French forum. The auto translation was very confusing but indicated something happened with the an xiii's around 1823 (I'm guessing percussion conversion ) and that the converted pistols may have seen service into the Second Empire. Very vague--hoping to find something more specific.
Dave Black

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After a quick google I turned up the following results.

The MAS pistol of 1850 seems be new built percussion version of the Model XIII, but looks to be all but identical. Hope this link works:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=qqeOMjr9kqYC&pg=PA30&dq=ouargla+foreign+legion&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDqeiLlPfVAhVKVbwKHUAAAkUQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=ouargla%20foreign%20legion&f=false

The French wikipedia page suggests that they were converted around 1860 to use a Minié ball. The conversion involving a simple change over in the design of the ramrod. It also says that they were in use as late as 1870 for port surveillance (customs service I'm assuming?).

I'm not sure if any of that is helpful, but it looks like military use until at least the mid 1850's and possibly well into the 1860's.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave Black. wrote:
After a quick google I turned up the following results.

The MAS pistol of 1850 seems be new built percussion version of the Model XIII, but looks to be all but identical. Hope this link works:

The French wikipedia page suggests that they were converted around 1860 to use a Minié ball. The conversion involving a simple change over in the design of the ramrod. It also says that they were in use as late as 1870 for port surveillance (customs service I'm assuming?).

I'm not sure if any of that is helpful, but it looks like military use until at least the mid 1850's and possibly well into the 1860's.

The issuance of long obsolete firearms is usually to those who will never need to fire them

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Dave Black

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Further to the above post, percussion pistols were issued to cavalry units as late as the Franco-Prussian war, see

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=ZVnuHX_6bG0C&pg=PA151&dq=Perrin+revolver&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjylsCMzffVAhVMW7wKHXs4CZAQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=Perrin%20revolver&f=false
J. Sanford

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dave Black. wrote:
Further to the above post, percussion pistols were issued to cavalry units as late as the Franco-Prussian war, see

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=ZVnuHX_6bG0C&pg=PA151&dq=Perrin+revolver&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjylsCMzffVAhVMW7wKHXs4CZAQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=Perrin%20revolver&f=false

Thanks Dave and to all who have offered information. Things are getting clearer. Based on this info I believe the discussion on the French forum referred to both the replacement of flintlock An xiiis with those that had been converted to percussion and then the later replacement of those pistols with the MAS 1850 which certainly would have been in use during the Second Empire.
I've also learned there were two versions of the An xiii conversions. Initially the pan was removed and a bolster with the nipple fitted into the vent hole. Later the vent hole was plugged the scallop for the pan in the lock plate was filled and the nipple moved towards the top of the barrel. Can't imagine why this more complicated conversion was adopted.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > AN XIII Pistol Percussion Conversion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic