Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help me find a longsword! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Westerhaven

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Help me find a longsword!         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm in need of some good advice, and I figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm in the market for a longsword (a birthday present to myself!). I've been looking around extensively, contacting various parties, etc, but I haven't yet found precisely what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for *one* of the three following things:
1) a sharp for both cutting and solo practice.
2) a dedicated blunt for partner practice.
3) a 'federschwert' for HEMA sparring.

Any one of those would be fine. So in that sense, I'm flexible.

But in another sense, I'm not that flexible. My main additional requirements are as follows:

1) Max budget $500 (US)
2) Min length 120cm. I'd also prefer a fairly *heavy* sword, if possible.
3) Max wait time 2 months, including shipping within the US.

The last of these requirements is giving me the most grief.

My first, strongest instinct is to get a gorgeous Albion from either the Maestro or Squire lines - on paper that would seem like the best option. BUT the wait times are a real problem for me: current Albion wait times are anywhere from 6- 12 months, depending, so I'd have to buy *another* sword with which to practice in the meantime. Not viable?

I'm also strongly, strongly considering a Valiant Armory Kriegschwert - I've heard good things about them, and the included scabbard is obviously a real bonus - they're beautiful. This would fit my budget very nicely, but it would break two of my requirements: firstly length, since the VA Kriegschwert is only 114cm or so, and secondly timing: current wait times are 3 months. Still, very possible.

I've also tried to contact Arms and Armor to ask about current wait times on their Fechterspiel and Fechtbuch training swords, but I've as yet received no response; we shall see.

I know people have Hanwei Tinker Pierce Longswords in stock, but I've heard bad things about them, so I'm pretty reluctant.

I'm sure there are many other options out there that I haven't considered - Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!
Dashiell Harrison

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you looked in Regenyei's feders? They're on the long side and I've been really happy with mine. IIRC Scott Brown of HEMA Supplies restocks his supply every month or so. He's the best person to contact about getting one in the US.
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I hear Miran Krsticic makes a meeeaaan Feder, and beautiful blunt swords! I'm not sure of the price, but it appears as though length customisation may be an option, they are relatively hefty, and the quality is apparently of the very finest!

In terms of a sharp replica, I would consider looking at the Arms & Armour lineup! Some of it may be above your range, but you may find something you like! And, as you said, the Albion Squire/Maestro line! Also, a Hanwei/Tinker Longsword, despite some small flaws is of excellent value for its cost! You can buy affordable hilt "cutlery" (i.e. hilt components) to make your Tinker Longsword more customised too! Look up The Printed Armoury! Good luck!

Jon Makar
Chris Friede

PostPosted: Mon 07 Aug, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've gotten to handle most of the Valiant offerings. (Sonny likes to hang out at the Scarborough Ren Faire in Waxahachie). His blades and scabbards are gorgeous, but they all tend to be very light. Even the Viking-inspired swords are very light compared to any other manufacturer. I wouldn't describe any of them as 'whippy', but if you are looking for a heavier blade Valiant isn't the first place I would go.
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Valiant Armory and Sonny is my first choice if I ever want another sword, but as Chris says my Valiant Prescott is on the lighter side for a longsword.

Keeping all your requirements in mind, I would pick up a Del Tin from Kult of Athena: http://www.kultofathena.com/deltin.asp
Reliable vendor, and reputable if somewhat old-school brand. Del Tins are generally built well and on the heavy side of the historical spectrum. You might like the DT5143:

My second choice would be Lutel in the Czech Republic - similarly well-built, affordable and somewhat heavier swords - but I can't speak to their current wait time.
http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/?p=productsMo...word-15007
Joe Westerhaven

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many thanks to you all for all these great thoughts.
Jon Makar

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you need any other suggestions, I forgot to mention that I have a friend at my local HEMA club that owns a Castille Armory feder in the style of an Irish, ring-pommel longsword. It was very affordable, for a custom, and is quite lovely and lively to handle. He has some minor complaints about the grip materials (it appears as though there is some kind of synthetic material covering the grip core). I believe (from what the Castille Amoury website says) that the more recent feders have milled aluminum grip cores with some kind of coating. I am assuming this is an improvement.

Someone else in my club owns a Darksword Armoury feder, and says that it is quite good for the price. It appears to have a really good (hard) heat treat! I find it a little less to my liking than the Castille Amoury one.

I have yet to purchase my first steel feder (I have a Purpleheart synthetic atm), but was going to go with the Krsticic that I mentioned above!
Leelund K

PostPosted: Thu 10 Aug, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kult of Athena currently has a Fechtbuch IN STOCK!

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ning+Sword

If you want a heavier sword, this is certainly better than the Fechterspiel, and no wait time!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help me find a longsword!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic