Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval Sites Near Munich Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jun, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Medieval Sites Near Munich         Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I may have a day or two where I will be in Munich this June and able to travel to the surrounding areas around there. I have been once before and I may go back to the Bayerisches Historisches Museum.

I would be interested in other places to see things related to medieval history. I have previously been to Nuremberg, Ingolstadt, Regensburg and Rothenburg ob der Tauber, although I may consider returning to any one of them. Any places where I can see medieval swords nearby, either including the above places or other places I have not mentioned, would be welcome. I am also interested in castles with comparatively early architecture, (mostly 12th or 13th century), especially those associated with the Staufer.

Any recommendations, especially for new places, would be most appreciated. If you know of an interesting medieval site that is not a castle, throw it in, too.
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jun, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,

A good start is taking a look at the website for the Bayerische Schlösserverwaltung as they are responsible for all castles & palaces owned by the Bavarian state http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/deutsch/schloss/index.htm

Many of the castles have roots back to the 13th Century or even older but have gone through numerous changes so it can be quite hard to find traces of the original architecture. For example Burg Trausnitz in Landshut was built in 1204 but the current complex has little from that time left that is visible.

I enjoyed visiting Burg Prunn with it's striking location, the burg itself is from 1200 but the lords of Prunn can be dated back to 1037. It has had a fair number of changes over the years so it too is a sort of hybrid with parts from diffrent periods. http://www.burg-prunn.de/deutsch/burg/index.htm

Another interesting castle is Burg Burghausen, probably the longest castle in the world with its lenght of over 1000 meters, first buildings appeared in 1255 with a lot of later additions. http://www.burg-burghausen.de/deutsch/burg/bedeut.htm

You have already been to many of the large "classic" sites & museums, with regard to ones you mentioned it should be noted that the Bavarian army museum in Ingolstadt is only partly open to visitors, the Neues Schloss is closed as they are rebuilding the pre-1914 section of the museum to improve and update the way history and the collection is displayed.
The excellent World War 1 museum in Reduit Tilly is open but I suspect it is outside of the period you are interested in.

I hope you have a great time, Bavaria is one of my top-3 favourite parts of Germany and I find myself coming back there time and again.

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Peter Rieder

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jun, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could visit my home town Landshut. It is very late medieval, especially the Altstadt (central, oldest part of town), and it has several medieval churches and a castle, Burg Trausnitz. It's a shame you're not visiting a little later, since from June 30 to July 23 the "Landshuter Hochzeit" ("Landshut Wedding") is taking place, which is a reenactment of a huge wedding between nobility that took place in 1475. Lots to see there.
A loaf that tries to twist its own fate is not a loaf at all but is, in fact, a pretzel.

Member of Ochs
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I have not visited any of the castles mentioned, so I will consider seeing at least one of them. Also, I hadn't even considered Landshut, so thanks for mentioning it.

Are there any other comparatively early castles in Bavaria that I might be able to see not listed on the website Dan? When I search online for castles, I almost invariably find endless websites trying to promote Schloss Neuschwanstein or other well-known Bavarian castles and palaces.
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As my main interest in Bavaria has been following in the footsteps of the armies of the 30-Years War I don't have a lot of information on early medieval castles except when I stumble up on them along the way or when look for other information in websites & books. (I am more than happy to get sidetracked to interesting medieval sites but they are not my priority when planning a trip.)

I did poke around the internet a bit with german search words and found these website which look they cover a good number of the castles in Bavaria.
http://burgenseite.de/html/index.html has both a map http://burgenseite.de/html/karte.html and list http://burgenseite.de/html/verzeichnis.html of the castles in "Altbayern" with some that are located in Franken/Franconia as well.

There is also burgen.de which includes a number of Bavarian castles http://www.burgen.de/deutschland/burgen-schloesser-in-bayern/

Hope they are of some help.

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Peter Spätling
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you end up in Upper Frankonia you could take a look at Pottenstein Castle that 's the oldest one in Franconian Switzerland from the middle of the 11th century. ~5km from there is Gößweinstein Castle, also quite old. In between is Tüchersfeld which inhabits the Fränkische Schweiz Museum. A lot of material from the surrounding region can be found there. Some bronze age weapons, early medieval and high medieval stuff, quite a few nice pieces actually. You can do all these three in one day without a problem. Other castles, nearby are Burg Rabenstein, Burg Rabeneck, ruin Neideck... there are castles... everywhere '^^ but the two mentioned at the beginning are the oldest ones. The region is really nice. Around 50km north of Nuremberg so you 'd have to drive around 2 hours to get there.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a coda to the original post: I ended up going to Bamberg, although I did not actually look around the city at all. Instead, I caught a bus out to Schesslitz and hiked up to see Giechburg Castle, with its lovely keep circa 1120-1140 AD. The next day, which was the day I was flying out, I returned to Nuremberg. Although I had already been before, I wanted to see the Germanisches Nationalmuseum and the castle for their swords, alongside visiting the Albrecht-Dürer-Haus for the second time. Thanks for all your suggestions, and if I ever return, I will undoubtedly search for this thread again!
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you feel like driving two hours on a comfy motorway, you might definitely enjoy the armoury of Ambras castle.

A very important and large armour collection located in a great renaissance environment, with also a wunderkammer and frescoed halls (in perfect shape) to see for further enjoyment.

In the Hofkircke, some ten minutes drive from Ambras, in the Silver Chapel there is a crested foot tournament helm with a well designed bargrill that as far as I know is a unique specimen, it is not a late gioco del ponte style hastily modified item, it is a specifically designed bargrill helm.

Town has a great late medieval core, centered around the Hofkircke
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have already flown back home, but as I mentioned, the next time I visit I will consider revisiting this thread,

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval Sites Near Munich
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic