Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > [Yet Another Video] The 1871 Italian cav. sword is useless Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sebastian Szukalski

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: [Yet Another Video] The 1871 Italian cav. sword is useless         Reply with quote

Decided to do yet another video, because it's much easier to display flexibility via video than still shots

https://youtu.be/8VAHQ6advQ0
Niels Just Rasmussen

Spotlight topics: 15

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: [Yet Another Video] The 1871 Italian cav. sword is usele         Reply with quote

Sebastian Szuakslki wrote:
Decided to do yet another video, because it's much easier to display flexibility via video than still shots

https://youtu.be/8VAHQ6advQ0

Great. Keep them coming!
You just need to get hold of a Danish M1843 cavalry saber and test it Wink as it saw much battle in the two Slesvig Wars (1848-50 & 1864).
https://www.arma-dania.dk/public/timeline/_AD_blankvaben_view.php?editid1=6

What an interesting combination on this Italian sword.
Absolutely ingenious guard and then this abysmal overflexible blade (and it is even German-made!).

About pipe-backs - it there some kind of reasoning stated in the contemporary literature behind its use?
Like cost savings or a dismissal of the sword to be used in actual combat, and its flexibility is to make injuries less likely in sparring between officers?
Or is it because pipe-back blades work reasonably well in thicker curved sabers (from earlier in the 1800's) and then people assumed (didn't think) that this kind of construction would be a problem on later thinner thrust-centric blades?

Last edited by Niels Just Rasmussen on Mon 29 May, 2017 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 May, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, hey, I've come across you on Imgur more than a few times (Cheomesh)!

Thanks for the video - it's an interesting blade, even if less than ideal for combat. Have you tried cutting a target with it?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sebastian Szukalski

PostPosted: Mon 29 May, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

Thanks for the video - it's an interesting blade, even if less than ideal for combat. Have you tried cutting a target with it?

M.

No, but now I think i'll have to - I always hate cutting with antiques so it'll have to be a fairly forgiving target that won't scratch the blade too much, though.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 29 May, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sebastian Szuakslki wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

No, but now I think i'll have to - I always hate cutting with antiques so it'll have to be a fairly forgiving target that won't scratch the blade too much, though.

I'm in the same boat (though I don't own any antiques personally). I now find myself actually desiring a copy of that sword someday. I seem to have a thing for the less-than-ideal!

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > [Yet Another Video] The 1871 Italian cav. sword is useless
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic