Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Silly project idea... Ritter Steel Odachi Sword.... or not.. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Silly project idea... Ritter Steel Odachi Sword.... or not..         Reply with quote

ok,

I am getting the project bug, and seeing that I have about 70' of spare ito laying around, and only a bunch of normal size katanas in my collection...

I am fully aware that this sword is going to make my iberia swords look rather more decent, but does anyone even have ANY experiance with ritter steel products? Has anyone even seen one of these up close?

I was thinking about rewrapping the handle, dremmeling the kashire down, getting rid of the tacky tassle, tinkering with the saya, and generally just making it look 1/2 way decent. (keeping full in mind that the core blade will still most likely look rather less spiffy than a $3 steak knife) I have some experiance in refitting, so I know I can make it look good, but I just thought I would see if there were any opinions from experiance.

Thoughts?

Besides its the only O-Dachi (No-Dachi, ect) I can find.... Sad without spending $5K<

http://www.dragonsedge.biz/images/Odachi.jpg

http://www.dragonsedge.biz/product_info.php?c...46a4f4ce19

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related

Last edited by Alex Oster on Mon 07 Feb, 2005 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Silly project idea... Ritter Steel Odachi Sword         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:

Besides its the only O-Dachi (No-Dachi, ect) I can find.... Sad without spending $5K<

Alex,

Museum Replicas has something they call a Nodachi, which is cheaper than the Ritter piece:
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/showpr...ion=5[url]

I have never seen a Ritter Steel piece in person, but must say they don't look too great to me from the photos. Of course, I haven't seen the Museum Replicas/Windlass "Nodachi" either. The couple of Windlass swords that I do have are at least solidly made, if not the greatest workmanship.

Good luck.

Steve Grisetti
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: My two cents....         Reply with quote

I'd go with the Windlass piece, myself. I saw a couple of RS medieval models, and was not impressed. I've heard that the RS's have pretty shoddy steel, and are not well tempered.......but thats just heresay. mcm.
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although not what your looking for kriscutlery had a yari on the closeout section,
one of those would be a challenge for a project, Wink
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm afraid I haven't seen the Nodachi spcifically, but I have seen some Rittersteel products. I have to agree with the previous statements: Pretty shoddy. Not terrible, but certainly no better than the Phillipine line of CAS Iberia stuff.
Jack McGregor Lynn

PostPosted: Sun 06 Feb, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

from what I've seen of ritter's sword's statistics they run pretty heavy. Never worked with one in person but the swords just don't look right to me either.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well, as I said it was an idea. I may have a few others lurking deep in my brain, but this is the one taht jumped out at me late at night...

Thanks for all the input... I am deciding between this and an Albion palstave...

And I may just settle for a Hanwei tsunami katana w/ shobu zukuri and see about turning it into a Nagamaki...

too many plans so little cash...

who can't relate! Laughing Out Loud

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Silly project idea... Ritter Steel Odachi Sword.... or not..
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic