Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking advice on my first sword purchase. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Karl Akkerman

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Seeking advice on my first sword purchase.         Reply with quote

As background this is not my first time asking for help with this issues as I posted two threads "How can I examine a sword before deciding to purchase?" and "Sword storage?" back in 2010 but my sword hobby fell by the wayside due to having to care for a terminally ill family member in the intervening years.

At present I'm finally getting back into swords and since my previous threads I have had a chance to handle a number of Albion's swords (Meyer, Liechtenauer, I-33, Squire, Doge, Talhoffer, Discerner, plus two other Next Generation line swords that I can not remember the names of) and I purchased one of their Maestro Line Liechtenauer swords last year.

Note, that I like swords that have a good balance between cutting and trusting. The Albion Squire I handled, Oakeshott Type XVI, is distinct in my mind as the best feeling sword I have ever held. Also I am not sure about Type XIV blades because I do not like to aesthetics of the Albion swords of that type but the Lockwood Swords SL-1002, listed as a Type XIV, looks quite different.

I am trying to decide upon a first sharp sword to purchase. The criteria below detail the three basic options in sizes/materials first and then blade types or specific swords that I am looking at.

1. One steel Longsword (Oakeshott Type XVIa, XVII, XVIIIb)
2. One steel Arming Sword (Oakeshott Type XII, XIV, XVI, XVIII)
3. One Bronze Sword (Ewart Park, The Limehouse Sword, Naue II, Khopesh)

As for makers, I am looking at Albion Swords, Arms & Armor, Lockwood Swords, and Valiant Armoury, as well as Neil Burridge for the Bronze Sword option.

I would like some advice in narrowing the above options down to one item to order this year, and one to save for next year.

Also does anyone know of any conventions or blade shows in southeastern Michigan this year where any of the above steel sword producers may be showing their wears?

Thank you.
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though my own collection is quite humble, consisting only only of a 1930's long bajonet, and Tinker Hanwei stuff, I might give you some ideas you had not yet come to.

The Tinker Hanwei line is well balanced, though appalingly sharpened and quite simple, for the price they are universally well liked.

On the other end of the spectrum are the swords of Matheus Sulowski, they are without a doubt pieces of art, the swords as well as the scabbard, though I suspect at the end of your price range, and it seems a tiny bit heavy.

Your idea on the bronze sword is spot on as far as I know.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take it easy on those 'appallingly sharpened' Hanwei and H/T's---every one I own came deadly sharp right out of the box---especially my Cawood and Norman. Wink And...there's beauty in 'quite simple'. Wink .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark C. Moore wrote:
Take it easy on those 'appallingly sharpened' Hanwei and H/T's---every one I own came deadly sharp right out of the box---especially my Cawood and Norman. Wink And...there's beauty in 'quite simple'. Wink .......McM

Ah, that might just be the sample bias, I only saw mine and a friend of mine's, mine even had a noticable flat edge, you could see it in the light.
And yeah, I do like simplicity, but the bastard sword with fuller still looks a bit unfinished to me. The 9th c Viking one or the Norman however look much better, even though they are light on detailing as well.
Joe A

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own four Neil Burridge bronze swords and can attest to their authenticity and craftsmanship. He's an interesting guy to work with plus the USD is strong vs. the UKP these days.

These types of swords are much different than the other types you are interested in, and there are fewer aficionados compared to the other types if you are seeking a "community" of users. We are out there though, just not as many.

Keep an eye on blade length if you go with Bronze Age as some of the swords may seem surprisingly short, and the grips are smallish as well compared to later sword types.
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a lot of swords to chose from.
If it were me I'd start narrowing the field by answering 2 questions
Do you want an ancient sword or a medieval sword?
If medieval one hand or 2?

From there it gets trickier as personal aesthetics come into play.
There are pros and cons for all the swords you listed but which ones do you really like? Which time period interests you the most?
For me the type XVIIIs are my true love followed by XVs and XIVs. Type XVI not so much and type XVII not at all.
Your results may vary.

Once you have (hopefully) narrowed it down to only a few types then look at all the makers you mentioned, and more, and see what particular swords you really like.

Then balance cost, delivery time and makers reputation until you come up with something that works for you.

I don't have experience of all the manufacturers you listed so I won't get into that.

Good luck!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For bronze swords, there is only one person to consider - Neil Burridge. I just received an Ewart Park from him and am very happy with it. All the steel makers that you mentioned are good choices. Albions are the purest designs. Their XVIa Crecy is a favorite choice among many buyers. Unfortunately, you will have a long wait time.
Henry R. Gower

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Seeking advice         Reply with quote

I have a fair amount of experience with Albions, but very little with the others you list. However, after over 40 years of interest in this hobby, the sweetest, best balanced, most lively sword I have ever handled, antique or modern, is the Albion Oakeshott. It seems to want to glide in your hand, I like the aesthetics and the historical period it represents as well. There came a time I needed some ready cash so I sold mine, but regret it. Saying that, I must disclaim I don't personally know anyone at Albion and this is purely my personal opinion.
Henry
Karl Akkerman

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
For bronze swords, there is only one person to consider - Neil Burridge. I just received an Ewart Park from him and am very happy with it. All the steel makers that you mentioned are good choices. Albions are the purest designs. Their XVIa Crecy is a favorite choice among many buyers. Unfortunately, you will have a long wait time.

Mr. Hooper, could you expand upon the process for ordering from Neil Burridge? I noticed that the prices on his site and his face book page are a bit different. Also I have never placed an international order via PayPal before and Mr Burridge site is quit adamant about being payed in pounds.

As for Albion the Crecy is a the top of my list.
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Sun 30 Apr, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Windlass/MRL has a dodgy reputation at times, but their Type XIV arming sword is one of their best, and underpriced for the quality. We were cutting with mine at HEMA practice a month or so ago. Even our very experienced HEMA practitioners in the club were impressed with it's weight and balance, and it murdered those water bottles with verve and efficiency. I'd actually like to try it on tatami at some point. It's the one Windlass sword several people all agreed they wanted to handle.

The pros:
- good balance and feel, quick in the hand.
- the flared blade where it reaches the guard is quite aesthetically pleasing. .
- simple and Spartan in appearance. I like simple and Spartan.

The cons:
- it's a Windlass.
- the scabbard may not quite fit, as is common for many Windlass blades (mine fits fine, having said that).

Hope this helps.

Bob
Leelund K

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Karl,

My condolences for your family member.

May I ask what you're planning on doing with the sword(s)?

How many hours of training, play, or cutting do you plan on seeing yourself putting them through?

How much skill do you currently possess with these weapons?

To what degree is price an issue?

I think answering these questions would help you and us narrow down options.

Leelund

P.S. If you could give a brief summary of what you did and didn't like about each of the weapons you did see, that would also help. Also, it's just nice having more reviews, informal or not, floating around the internet.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 02 May, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Akkerman wrote:

Mr. Hooper, could you expand upon the process for ordering from Neil Burridge? I noticed that the prices on his site and his face book page are a bit different. Also I have never placed an international order via PayPal before and Mr Burridge site is quit adamant about being payed in pounds.

I ordered from his Facebook page. I noticed that the price there was higher than that on the website. I figured it was still very reasonable for the high quailty, and didn't ask him about it. Neil Burridge would be the guy to clear up that discrepancy.

Using Paypal, even with different currencies is pretty easy. Paypal will let you know how many dollars it will take to equal the poundage.
Karl Akkerman

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just thought I would let everyone who replied to this topic that a went with one of Neil Burridge's Carnuestie swords which is a variant of the Ewart Park type with a tin pommel. I am going to post a thread on it in the Historical Arms Talk forum.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seeking advice on my first sword purchase.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic