Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Best value historically accurate viking era clothing? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas R-W

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Best value historically accurate viking era clothing?         Reply with quote

I'm looking for historically accurate Viking era linen and wool tunics. I also would like to find a cloak, a Skjoldehamn (Hood), and a historical belt for the period. (I know it's a lot to find in one post but I need to get an entire costume ready.) I've been looking around and found a few sites with these items like revival clothing but I don't know where to look for high historical accuracy while spending (if possible) less than $100 on each of the items. Any help would be welcome! I'm sorry if the answers are right under my nose, judging the historical accuracy of clothing is really hard for me and I want to use these clothes for re-enactment, LARP, as well as Ren Fest clothing.
~Thorill
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://slavmedievalshop.com/

Her stuff it top quality and i have never had a bad item from her.. everything is made to fit you and she has always been 100% accurate in making them the perfect size
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Medieval Collectibles has a ton of wool and linen clothing out now, made by Mytholon. I have several pieces from them, and they are all very good quality...and inexpensive. You might find a suitable base garment(s), and then add a little personal flair to them to suit your tastes. Happy ....McM www.medievalcollectibles.com
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A lot of their new stuff is not yet in stock though....be sure to check the availability before ordering. They have a tab above the product that will tell you what's in and out, and the sizes and colors available. Also, be sure to check their 'new products' pages...they have been adding a lot lately. Happy ...McM
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark C. Moore wrote:
Medieval Collectibles has a ton of wool and linen clothing out now, made by Mytholon. I have several pieces from them, and they are all very good quality...and inexpensive. You might find a suitable base garment(s), and then add a little personal flair to them to suit your tastes. Happy ....McM www.medievalcollectibles.com

Oog, everything there looks pretty fantasy, to me! You'd be better off buying from my sister:

http://www.merchantadventurers.com/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MerchantAdventurers1?ref=hdr_shop-menu

Ask her about linen and wool for reenactor-quality clothing, she'll understand, but check her Etsy store first. (Just don't drag *me* into any negotiations, ha!)

Historic Enterprises is VERY highly regarded:

http://www.historicenterprises.com/

Good luck!

Matthew
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...not knocking your suggestions, but the OP did say for 'larp' and Ren-fest wear...and inexpensive. Yes, some of their stuff is a bit fantastical...but some are fairly plain and could be easily modified to suit. Wink ...McM
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark C. Moore wrote:
Well...not knocking your suggestions, but the OP did say for 'larp' and Ren-fest wear...and inexpensive. Yes, some of their stuff is a bit fantastical...but some are fairly plain and could be easily modified to suit. Wink ...McM

Sure, but his list starts with "reenactment", which to me implies historical accuracy. You can still wear accurate garb for LARP and Renn Fair, but you can't use fantasy clothing for reenacting. And yes, Historic Enterprises is a little pricier, but it's certainly good stuff. And you can avoid buying everything TWICE by buying the right thing the first time!

Of course, IF you can modify less-accurate clothing to be historically correct (not sure how you'd add sleeves to a tunic, though...), couldn't you just make your own clothes in the first place?

Just sayin'!

Matthew
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I suppose it's up to Thomas, eh? Wink .....McM
Thomas R-W

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your suggestions! I am looking for as close to historically accurate so I'll be avoiding medieval collectibles for the most part. I'll be checking out the suggested sites! You've all been very helpful. But what does the "...McM" mean at the end of a lot of the replies?
~Thorill
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

<---Those are my initials. I sign off all my posts with them. Happy ....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't know really why I use the small 'c'.....Just do. Razz Laughing Out Loud ....McM
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Best value? Buy some wool and make your own clothing. Here's a link to some nice hand-woven wool by the yard from Czechia:

http://handwovenwool.com/

I received my wool in about 6 weeks.

Be wary of merchants such as Medieval Collectables and By The Sword. They are internet store fronts and don't stock goods. They have third parties ship whatever you order. Carefully read their back order and cancellation policies because it may take months to get your order and there are steep "admin" fees if you decided to cancel instead of wait. By The Sword told me, after months of promising me my merchandise that I never received, "Read the fine print, pal, you're not getting your money back."
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:

Be wary of merchants such as Medieval Collectables and By The Sword. They are internet store fronts and don't stock goods. They have third parties ship whatever you order. Carefully read their back order and cancellation policies because it may take months to get your order and there are steep "admin" fees if you decided to cancel instead of wait. By The Sword told me, after months of promising me my merchandise that I never received, "Read the fine print, pal, you're not getting your money back."

I've ordered plenty of items from Medieval Collectibles--with an 'i' , not an 'a'. Medieval CollectAbles IS a store front, just like Dark Knight Armoury. I've never had a lick of troubles from them getting items or returns/refunds. As long as what you order is 'in stock', no problem. Never done business with By The Sword, and judging from their prices--never will. Wink And, NO, I do not work for Medieval Collectibles or receive any special treatment or discounts. I'm just a regular -satisfied- customer. Just FYI. Happy .........McM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Best value historically accurate viking era clothing?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic