Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Henry V Crest by Davis Reproductions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Josh Davis
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Henry V Crest by Davis Reproductions         Reply with quote

Hello All,

Pardon my absence on the forums, I have been kept busy by quite a few larger projects. This is one of my latest.

This funerary achievement crest is part of a larger project in conjunction with Westminster Abbey and Tobias Capwell of the Wallace Collection. We approached this project using historical methods of construction suggested from the Italian artist Cennini in his book “Il Libro dell’ Arte” (The Craftsman Handbook).

This construction method describes building a crest from shaped halves of leather sewn together and left to dry. The surface details are then applied by either gesso grosso or in this case applied leather details. Finally the crest is leafed. This project used a copper alloy (bronze) for the leafing. The mantle was hand sewn and painted with ermine tails on the interior. The tassel is made of metallic thread and finished with a ‘turk’s head’ knot.

For more detailed photos, please check out https://davisreproductions.com/2017/04/08/crest-for-henry-v/ and keep an eye out for updates. I know this is a very brief description of the construction process, and I am also happy to answer any questions here as well.

-Josh
www.davisreproductions.com
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Awesome!         Reply with quote

This is an exceptional piece Josh, great work! Look forward to seeing it all mounted and on display. I love the detail of the lions coat.

Craig
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Isn't this Prince Edward of Woodstock's crest rather than Henry V's. Regardless, it's an amazing piece.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Josh Davis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan,

This project is based off the existing crest of the Edward of Woodstock you are correct. However after a lot of research done by Dr. Toby Capwell on the funerary achievements of Henry V there was mention of a crest of a similar description. So we decided to use the Edward's crest a model to build to.

A subtle difference in the crest for Edward of Woodstock and Henry V is the collar denoting that Edward was a prince and the absence of the collar for Henry V as he was a King.

This image was supplied by Toby and it is of a 1940's reproduction of the crest for Edward.

Thanks for the question!!

Josh

www.davisreproductions.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Henry V Crest by Davis Reproductions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic