Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Differences between using mace and warclubs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John A. Brown

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Differences between using mace and warclubs         Reply with quote

As I said earlier, I'm considering buying a macebell for my weightlifting regiment and swordsmanship studies. However I am should I expect a totally different style of wielding and techniques from training with Indian clubs?

I already started searching out club and bat combat manuals including the few translations available of Kshatriya bootcamp guides and martial arts texts so slowly I am becoming acquainted with club fighting and bat self defense.

I mean aren't maces and clubs quite similar in weight distribution (specifically their weight is mostly at the top part of the weapon)?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences between using mace and warclubs         Reply with quote

John A. Brown wrote:
As I said earlier, I'm considering buying a macebell for my weightlifting regiment and swordsmanship studies. However I am should I expect a totally different style of wielding and techniques from training with Indian clubs?

I already started searching out club and bat combat manuals including the few translations available of Kshatriya bootcamp guides and martial arts texts so slowly I am becoming acquainted with club fighting and bat self defense.

I mean aren't maces and clubs quite similar in weight distribution (specifically their weight is mostly at the top part of the weapon)?

Clubs and maces are used in an identical manner. The only real difference might arise in terms of balance; it is possible to make a club like a baseball bat, which will have a different distribution of mass than a club that is more rounded at the top. It is noteworthy that many if not most medieval depictions of clubs seem to show the latter shape, with a clear spherical swelling near the head. This is in essence no different from a mace.

Besides looking for the more obvious resources like Hans Talhoffer, Paulus Hector Mair has a section of his manuscript on the "Peasant Staff", which is really a two-handed club. Also, Fiore gives a couple of wrestling techniques using a baton, and this could easily be transferred to the club or mace. Wiktenauer, as you probably know, is the place to go to find this material.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Differences between using mace and warclubs
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic