Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for opinions on armourers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Allwood

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Looking for opinions on armourers         Reply with quote

I'm interested in purchasing a suit of 16th century armor but do not know which makers are of quality. My intention is to have a functional piece and not one for decoration. Also, I'm not lacking of coin.

I look forward to your responses. ( I am new to this site. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section)

Nathan
Houston P.

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you checked the links section of the website? There are numerous armorers listed there.
...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. (‭Luke‬ ‭22‬:‭36‬)
Nathan Allwood

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the various links but i wanted to hear some opinions on purchases made.
Nathan
Martin Fischer

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

... probably the best man for the 16th cent. stuff in Germany is Markus Siefert:

http://plattner-siefert.de/
Ben Joy

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had purchased my plate armor from Illusion Armoring. They were phenomenal to work with and everything was of great quality. As a wonderful option (one that I capitalized on) you can even get the work done in stainless steel which might not be historically accurate, but the lessened maintenance is SOOO worth it; and it still takes quite a beating. I've done a lot of sparring in mine. On the other hand, if you want something really lightweight, they'll do work in aluminum, too . . . just don't expect it to take anywhere near the beating of either steel types.

However, looking at their page I noticed they haven't updated in quite a while (over a year, now). They could just be that backlogged, or -God forbid- something else could have happened. I know from dealing with them that they're always incredibly busy. When I had my suit made they had like 10-12 months of work on the table, but I got my armor within the projected timeframe.

They might be worth sending an email to, first, to see what's going on if you find things on their page that you're interested in.

"Men take only their needs into consideration, never their abilities." -Napoleon Bonaparte
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might also look at Armstreet. They make beautiful armor, and do it to your body specs. Maybe not 100% historically accurate, but also worth a look at. Happy ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are some good threads:

https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=30670&view=previous

Also Armour archive can have good information.

http://www.armourarchive.org/

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe A

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for opinions on armourers         Reply with quote

Nathan Allwood wrote:
I'm interested in purchasing a suit of 16th century armor but do not know which makers are of quality. My intention is to have a functional piece and not one for decoration. Also, I'm not lacking of coin.

I look forward to your responses. ( I am new to this site. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section)

Well, since you are not lacking in coin I'd highly recommend Jeffrey Hildebrandt of Royal Oak Armoury.

http://www.royaloakarmoury.com/

As one of his oldest continuing customers I'd say he's one of the best not only in his skills with a hammer, but also in unmatched customer service and after sales support.

Since you are in Illinois you can take a few days and visit him in Canada so that he can take precise measurements for a custom fit. If you just send measurements by e-mail you are taking a risk, even the best makers will tell you its very difficult to get everything right with a complete set of armor without the person being there.

Sure you can ship it back and forth until the fit is perfect, and spend a lot more coin, but an initial fit in person and perhaps one more when it's almost finished will guarantee a perfect fit.

Also, anyone that tells you they can start right away should make you suspicious, everyone good has a waiting list and that should be something you take into consideration.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe A....That last statement you made is just plain, good, all-around advice--and 100% true. Whether it be for armor, a custom sword, a custom car, a house.....yep! Wink Big Grin .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for opinions on armourers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic