Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Plan on having a "Mutt" sword made, ideas? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathan Gib

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Plan on having a "Mutt" sword made, ideas?         Reply with quote

So I'm planning to have a sword made by Mateusz Sulowski Swords https://www.facebook.com/sulowskiswords based off this design he had previously made

While I have no connection to the culture, I appreciate my heritage with the little, yet growing knowledge I have and would like a sword that represents where I think my family came from. It seems as if my last name Gibson originated either in the Hebrides islands, or lowland Scotland. While according to family I'm also Irish, English, French, and Native American(might be African, melungeons from Kentucky but not verified)

Here's an image of what I have in mind atm

(Done in haste, sorry for bad quality. I was hoping to possibly place the rings on the left within the Irish Pommel, but it was difficult to do on the app on my phone. Plus might look silly and ruin my idea)

I realize the cross-guard is a Highland design, but from the guards I've seen so far this is my favorite from Scotland. Then the Pommel is 'Irish...So with that being said what are your thoughts on my idea? Obviously it's up to me at the end of the day, but I like feedback. Also, please share any designs from any of the groups I listed that you think might compliment my mutt sword that I'm unaware of.

(apologies if this isn't the right place to post this kind of question)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you considered finding an extant original and having it replicated? I get the idea of a "mutt" as you call it, but honestly, that combination of parts really doesn't have any place together. I think there's a good chance that as you have this sword for a long, long time and learn more about history and arms and armour, you might become disappointed with it over time.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would second what Nathan said. I've found the more time I've spent looking at examples of antique swords, the less that I want pieces that deviate a lot from the norm. It's difficult to explain it, but it's almost as though one starts to internalize what sort of forms and proportions should be expressed together, and what sorts do not belong together. Seeing pieces that deviate from these forms and proportions creates an aesthetic clash that feels and looks wrong. It is likely that, over time, your enthusiasm for this sword will wane. Worse, should you ever try to sell it, you will have a much harder time finding a buyer for such a strange "mutt", especially commensurate with the price you paid for it originally.

I think it's better to spend more time looking at claymores (yes I know this is the wrong term), Irish ring hilts, and other such swords that appeal to you before taking action.
Jonathan Gib

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies both of you! Your opinions, and speaking to Mateusz Sulowski changed my idea about it. He mentioned how the pommel is lite and would throw the balance off, so I'm likely going to get the sword as is with minor changes...If any
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Sat 18 Mar, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you going to go with Scots Irish (Irish ring pommel and Highland Scot crossguard) it would make more sense functionally and visually to with much broader more cut orientated blade. Right now, your design would result in something which looks a bit odd and have thrustung orientated bladed with center of gravity to far out for its blade shape.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan,

It would be worth looking at images of antique XVa swords with scent stopper pommels to see what sort of cross guards they tend to be paired with. The reason I say this is because the particular cross Mateusz has used in the first image you posted does not seem to be especially common with scent stopper pommels, so I would want to have a cross more representative of the kinds found on antiques. Certainly, as you can see from the image I have attached, there were scent stopper pommels paired with crosses that have clubbed ends and a "V" shape at the center of the cross. Just the same, I would try to find other examples of confirmed antique XVa swords with scent stoppers. Be careful--a lot of the swords that are come up in a search online are fakes. Looking in Records of the Medieval Sword might be a good place to start. Unfortunately, all of the XVa swords shown in the myArmoury spotlight article have disk pommels which is not what you are looking for, so you'll have to search elsewhere.

Attachment: 146.29 KB
Talhoffer XVa.jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Plan on having a "Mutt" sword made, ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic