Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Complex and Baskethilt makers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Max L

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Complex and Baskethilt makers?         Reply with quote

So I've been a collector of Medieval swords for some time, and believe I'm pretty aware of the state of affairs in that field.

However lately, for the first time, I've grown interested in the complex and basket hilted swords of the 16th and early 17th centuries, particularly the longswords, sideswords, and back/broadswords. Basically everything except for rapiers (gross!).

I've perused the reviews and collections on this site quite thoroughly and it looks like many, if not most, of those smiths have been out of the business for some time.

Is there a craftsman of a similar skill level (and if possible, price point) as medieval makers Maciej Kopciuch (Swordmaker) and Mateusz Sulowski?
Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Complex and Baskethilt makers?         Reply with quote

Max L wrote:
However lately, for the first time, I've grown interested in the complex and basket hilted swords of the 16th and early 17th centuries, particularly the longswords, sideswords, and back/broadswords. Basically everything except for rapiers (gross!).

Wonder why, nothing can surpass a good end 16th century rapier, with a complex hilt and a 43'' blade Big Grin

Anyway, there's Marco Danelli. He did complex-hilted longswords, dussäge, sabers and other broadswords of this era, and his work is impressive. Unfortunately it's a victim of its own success and his waiting time is quite long (last time I asked it was like 2 years).
Max L

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Complex and Baskethilt makers?         Reply with quote

Guillaume Vauthier wrote:
Max L wrote:

Wonder why, nothing can surpass a good end 16th century rapier, with a complex hilt and a 43'' blade Big Grin

I need a little meat on a blade! Can't hit someone with the edge of those 43" twigs! :P

Quote:
Anyway, there's Marco Danelli. He did complex-hilted longswords, dussäge, sabers and other broadswords of this era, and his work is impressive. Unfortunately it's a victim of its own success and his waiting time is quite long (last time I asked it was like 2 years).

His stuff looks great, definitely would do the trick. Bummer about the wait time! Doesn't hurt to reach out and jump on the waiting list, though. Thanks for the reco.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try Arms and Armor of Minnesota - http://arms-n-armor.com/

They do great custom work. Below are a couple of things they did for me.

Attachment: 50.87 KB
AAHaudeggen02.jpg

Attachment: 100.02 KB
gbm6s3.jpg

Max L

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure why A&A didn't occur to me! Those are phenomenal!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max L wrote:
I'm not sure why A&A didn't occur to me! Those are phenomenal!

It has been a few years since they did a custom piece for me, but I would say that their custom prices are similar to Maciej Kopciuch's and Mateusz Sulowski's. Craig Johnson is very easy to work with. Take a look at their Custom section.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you could talk to EB Erickson about getting onto his wait list, that would be the way to go.

All other things considered, A&A would be my first choice. They aren't fast, but they're really, really good.

Other than that, I'd want to know more specifically about what you're looking to have made before broadening the recommendations.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Darkwood         Reply with quote

Hey!

Darkwood does as well. His regular stuff is munitions grade but his one of a kind custom are just excellent

Plus they are less expensive (not good resale on the secondary market however)
K. Robert

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marco Danelli as mentioned, Rob Miller of CastleKeep for backswords of any kind, and there is always Andrzej Mikicak and Tomek Kownal (who are both based in Poland) they could make you almost anything, complex or not
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vladimir Cervenka from the Czech Republic also makes very nice complex hilted swords and rapiers. Usually likes to stick close to historical designs, but may build adapted or mostly fantasy pieces if you ask nicely. http://www.sword.cz/eindex.htm
He's a bit more affordable than Arms&Armor but offers good quality, so if you're in the USA, A&A's got you covered, if you're from Europe, Vladimir Cervenka might be the better deal (also with regards to shipping and taxes).
Max L

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like A&A is the way to go. Thanks everyone for the info!

Now I just need to narrow down what I want. Perhaps this beauty here.
http://www.hermann-historica.de/en/korbschwer...mp;slide=1

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Complex and Baskethilt makers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic