Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Davis Reproductions Review, Whoot, Whoot!!Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Todd Eriksen

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Davis Reproductions Review, Whoot, Whoot!!         Reply with quote

Recently Josh Davis of Davis Reproductions finished up a few pieces for my Edward, the Black Prince (BP) harness. Before I go any further keep this in mind: Another craftsman had made a BP harness for me a few years back and I don't know how but the armor shrunk, especially in the belly and chest area. Go figure. Plus, it was just an 'okay' job. I am a man on a tight budget so I had Josh re-create only the main parts of the harness for me, with plans to add more in the future. SO..... Josh created the breastplate, full arms and cuisses. Everything else is from other makers.

I've known Josh since he was a 17 year old high school hippy up in Minneapolis through Arms and Armor. Now that he's on his own I wanted something from this budding craftsman. I drove up to St. Paul and had numerous fittings at his shop. His eye for detail is what impressed me. I tell you folks, the difference between a personal fitting and an off the peg or through the mail fitting is mind boggling. His in the shop eye while I was wearing it makes this fit like a well tailored suit. His work is fantastic. Josh commented that 'it's the little things' that make this harness awesome.

I wanted the harness to be based on the BP's effigy in Canterbury Cathedral, with some minor tweaks in the shoulders, just because.

Okay, less talking, let me post some pics as they talk for themselves.

Attachment: 42.62 KB
Me BP.jpg
Me in my BP harness.

Attachment: 95.75 KB
Integrated spaulder with upper cannon. We chose the cylindrical upper cannon as that is how it is on the BP's effigy in Canterbury Cathedral. [ Download ]

Attachment: 61.38 KB
Leg harness. [ Download ]

Ich Dien
Todd Eriksen

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some of the 'little details' that make this harness pop. Takes a good eye to spot them, but this is the extra mile that Josh does on all his work.

Just so you know the back story on the stop rib. I have been in the poultry industry for many years and am a field technician for a chicken company overseeing all the farms raising our companies chickens in SW Iowa. So Josh suggested that we put Dominus Pullorum on the stop rib. Yep, it's Latin for 'Lord of Chickens'!!! So subtle but yet so me!! Great idea Josh!!!!

Attachment: 56.35 KB
Rivets.jpg
Rivet detail. It's the little things!!

Attachment: 43.4 KB
Detail.jpg
Josh's research showed the one he based this off has the brass fold back underneath the handle. Nice detail.

Attachment: 41.23 KB
Details.jpg
Notice the brass piece. Many knives have that to transition between the blade and handle.

Attachment: 40.35 KB
Hand made buckles. [ Download ]

Attachment: 89.97 KB
Josh replaced all the hinges on the old pieces so they all matched. Beautiful detail on them as well. [ Download ]

Attachment: 99.62 KB
Lord of Chickens [ Download ]

Ich Dien

Last edited by Todd Eriksen on Wed 15 Feb, 2017 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Todd Eriksen

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not only is Josh a master armourer, he is also a phenomenal leather worker. To add bling to my well to do 1350's soft kit portrayal, Josh created a leather carrying case for my medieval goblet. On top of that, he made an eating knife with matching pricker based on extant examples, along with the carrying case that also held my spoon. The photos do not show the amount of detail that went into the knife. They are exquisite.

Attachment: 132.82 KB
Eating set. [ Download ]

Attachment: 157.74 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 141.86 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 60.06 KB
IHS is the Latin monogram for Jesus. [ Download ]

Ich Dien
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is some truly outstanding armor you have there, Todd! Big Grin I'm sure you must be VERY proud! And, yes,....it's the 'little things' that really do make all the difference! Big Grin ........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I picked up a small eating knife from Josh this past year. Really nice. Based on the quality and fine detail of the knife, I can't hardly imagine how much time and beauty he has in that armor. Well done.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent work! Neat to see the nice little touches on this harness.

Some really nice pieces on his website as well.

RPM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Davis Reproductions Review, Whoot, Whoot!!Product Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic