Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Viking Sword Specs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kirstine Schoene

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Viking Sword Specs         Reply with quote

I'm thinking about making myself a viking sword, but sadly I have not the slightest idea of dimensions, weights, etc.
I want to keep it historical to some extent. I own no viking blades to refer to, and i've done some digging but nobody seeems to state these kind of specs. I just need to know the dimensions of the crossguard and pommel ( less so blade), or at least realistic/average figures. Would also be nice to know distal taper, fuller widths and blade angles.
Thanks folks.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A starting point might be to look at the specs for Albion viking replicas over at Kult of Athena. They even have a couple of blade thickness measurements - not enough for you, but It's something. Most would agree with me that Albion makes the most historically accurate replicas.

Again, that's just a starting point.

http://www.kultofathena.com/albion.asp
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would start with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Swords-Viking-Age-Ian-Peirce/dp/1843830892

That would give you a lot of examples to work with. I have one, and it gives good context.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram Verbeek wrote:
I would start with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Swords-Viking-Age-Ian-Peirce/dp/1843830892

That would give you a lot of examples to work with. I have one, and it gives good context.

Seconded, has good pictures and dimensions. If you have any museums in your area, you might check if they have anything on display you could look at.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
A starting point might be to look at the specs for Albion viking replicas over at Kult of Athena. They even have a couple of blade thickness measurements - not enough for you, but It's something. Most would agree with me that Albion makes the most historically accurate replicas.

Again, that's just a starting point.

http://www.kultofathena.com/albion.asp
Roger, I wouldn't trust in KoA's measurements 100%. I'm pretty sure their sword measurements are decently accurate, but I have gotten some measures from other things--mainly helmets and armor--that are waaaay off. Happy ......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I AM SURE, however, that their Albion measurements would be taken from Albion directly....so, there's that. Happy ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Viking Sword Specs         Reply with quote

Kirstine Schoene wrote:
I just need to know the dimensions of the crossguard and pommel ( less so blade), or at least realistic/average figures.

Length of guard is often published. Given a good photo of a hilt, you can get all of the other dimensions in that plane (easiest to work from a printout, if it's an online photo). The tricky part is to get thicknesses, because the usual side-on photo doesn't give that to you. A good source for thicknesses is Petersen's book:
https://archive.org/details/DeNorskeVikingesverdEnTypologisk-kronologiskStudieOverVikingetidens_105
where there are many drawings showing the thicknesses.

Other than Pierce's and Petersen's books, Wiglaf's Weapons Widget is a good one-stop online source for measurements: http://weapon.wiglaf.co.uk/biglist.php

Kirstine Schoene wrote:
Would also be nice to know distal taper, fuller widths and blade angles.

Very hard to find measurements of blade thickness, let alone the multiple ones you need for distal taper. As already suggested, KoA distal taper measurements for Albion Vikings might be your best bet. Blade angle - I don't remember seeing published values.

Weight and POB are difficult. First, values of these (especially POB) are published less often than lengths. Second, corrosion and missing hilts mean that the measurements aren't the same as the originals.

Typical weight is easy: 1.2kg. Typical POB is easy: 15-20cm/6-8". But there's a lot of variation, especially in weight. I've seen Viking swords from 700g up to 1.9kg.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I AM SURE, however, that their Albion measurements would be taken from Albion directly....so, there's that. Happy ....McM

Albion's measures aren't all correct too. Gaddhjalt is listed as 36" (91cm) blade and all of them have 88,5-89cm blade and width is listed as 5cm but it's actually 4,8cm.. That is just example I'm familiar with, there may be others.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Viking Sword Specs
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic