Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Really strange katana - maybe its somehow rare? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marek Konopacki

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Really strange katana - maybe its somehow rare?         Reply with quote

Hello!

Well, i've found a katana, and since im a big lover of all kind of smooth blades I just need to know, if this one isnt a rubbish!
Soo if You guys could tell me anything about it ? Maybe someone can translate these japanese signs

Attachment: 190.54 KB
[ Download ]
Marek Konopacki

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

PS. I've just heard that the kanji's on the 4 photo means "guarantee for 5 years" Big Grin
idk what to think
David Cooper

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm afraid the translation is probably not far from the truth, in fact it may not last that long. It is a cheap Chinese fake. Pattern welded blade supposed to imitate Japanese tamahagane steel. Of very little value so don't plan on retiring on the proceeds just yet Cry .
The journey not the destination
Marek Konopacki

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Cooper wrote:
I'm afraid the translation is probably not far from the truth, in fact it may not last that long. It is a cheap Chinese fake. Pattern welded blade supposed to imitate Japanese tamahagane steel. Of very little value so don't plan on retiring on the proceeds just yet Cry .

damnnn! I though so Sad((

Hoped, that I will just find someone to encourage me :P

thank you, and have a good night!
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Cooper wrote:
You are right David, no traditionally made Japanese sword (nihonto) would ever have a blade that looks like this swords does.
Paul Mullins

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Use the blade to make an interesting hanger or cutlass.
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marek Konopacki wrote:
David Cooper wrote:

damnnn! I though so Sad((

Hoped, that I will just find someone to encourage me :P

thank you, and have a good night!

It is a blade of unknown origin, surely made with low level materials and likely not heat treated or, worst, badly heat treated.

I remember trying to reforge a eastern euro low level wall hanger, when put into the hot coals it started smoking and smelling bad.

Coal was regular .. it was a strange alloy so we trashed the entire thing.

I would use it as a wall hanger, appropriately dulled ...

Btw I do not know ow fake etched damascus looks like but these are not pattern welded layers, there is no pattern but a very irregular scattering that doesn't come from very creative layer stacking and arranging.

be careful
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm no expert on steel, but that entire blade looks like it shows lines of delamination. Pretty nice looking overall package, but I wouldn't use it to cut a marshmallow. Shine it up and hang it. Wink ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm no expert on steel, but that entire blade looks like it shows lines of delamination. Pretty nice looking overall package, but I wouldn't use it to cut a marshmallow. Shine it up and hang it. Wink ....McM
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:

If it is real pattern welding amde with scrap metal than it should be possibly useable since it shouldn't crack open, if he really wants to use it he could sand an area and then etch it with vinegar or the proper nitric acid solution in order to verify the existence of a pattern welded structure.

At that point a friendly smith might try to do a new passable heat treatment with some proper testing (previous reshaping of the point and geometry).

Not worth investing any money but if he finds a friendly smith working for fun it might work as a week end project.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(Sorry for the double post!) True, worth a shot. I would be more inclined to find a bare blade and do a rebuild. Happy ...McM
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword is a fake, because first of all I've seen something like that in Beijing China back in 2009. The store clerk had to close the door in order to show me some blades because Beijing had all sharp objects banned for Olympic a year before. There were several antique eating knives and there was this sword, exact same thing without the names.

Secondly, one side of the blade has the name 石井太郎(Ishii Taro) as the maker. The other side is 正光五年(Zheng guang) the date of when the sword was made. Now 正光 was a Chinese regnal year for Emperor Xiaoming of Northern Wei from 520 AD to 525 AD, hence the name 五年 or five years.

Hope this helps.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Really strange katana - maybe its somehow rare?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic