Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > First Customized Sword Question Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nicholas V

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: First Customized Sword Question         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm new to sword collecting and I want my first one to be special so I decided to go with a customized sword. I have a limited budget but I found two smiths who would create the sword I'm looking for within my budget. The only problem is I don't really know too much about them. Does anyone know about the quality of work from:

Rob Miller of Castle Keep Swords, or
Mark Morrow of Morrows Blade and Blacksmith Shop

Thank you!

Nicholas
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've heard good things about Mr. Morrow, but you will not go wrong with Rob Miller. He makes fantastic swords. Big Grin ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It depends somewhat on the type of sword you want made. Do you want sharp or something you can practice / compete with? Some people specialize in fantasy swords, other historical. The latter people may specialize in particular eras or types.

I don't know Mark Morrow, but Rob Miller does great work.

I usually use Arms and Armor of Minnesota, which works at a price point similar or a bit less than Rob Miller, with similar quality, and no customs / overseas shipping issues for you in New York.

There are a couple of really good young Polish swordsmiths active these days. Maciej Kopciuch and Mateusz Sulowski.

Other Americans:
Michael Pikula is active again but not taking commissions last I saw.
Longship Armoury tends toward functional fantasy blades but also does historical work.

There are other amazing people, but above the price point you seem to be aiming for.

Whoever you chosse, be prepared to wait and to accept that it might not come out exactly as you predicted.

JD
Nicholas V

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the input. Perhaps if I describe the sword I'm looking for it would be easier to give a fair description of the quality of work. It's basically a one-handed knight's sword (36 inch overall, 32 inch blade, ~2.5 lbs). Not looking for any fancy metal work, I like a classic and traditional style sword.

Hopefully that helps!

Nicholas
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd suggest Minnesota's Arms & Armor or Poland's Maciej Kopciuch for what you have described. Mateusz Sulowski is a good suggestion, too.

Yes, I'm echoing JD Crawford completely!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about the Albion Squire-Line 13th C. Knightly? That falls pretty well into the parameters you are looking for, and the price is not bad. Just a suggestion... Happy .....McM
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Swords         Reply with quote

Hello,

I highly recommend Mark Morrow, his swords are tough, well made and I love the steel he uses.

However right now for the price the Eastern European makers are doing great work for less
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas V wrote:
Thank you very much for the input. Perhaps if I describe the sword I'm looking for it would be easier to give a fair description of the quality of work. It's basically a one-handed knight's sword (36 inch overall, 32 inch blade, ~2.5 lbs). Not looking for any fancy metal work, I like a classic and traditional style sword.

Hopefully that helps!

The Albion Knight fits that description and runs about 1K...somewhat less than a custom, less wait time, and guaranteed results.

You could always save the custom job for later when you get more fussy about what you want.
Nicholas V

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was looking heavily into the Albion Swords but after inquiring they told me time to ship would be about 9 months at the moment. Plus, I really want my first sword to be unique and made specifically for me and not a stock item (childish? Perhaps). But thank you everyone for the suggestions and feedback. I can't wait to be more involved in this community, everyone is super helpful and knowledgeable!
Nicholas
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
How about the Albion Squire-Line 13th C. Knightly? That falls pretty well into the parameters you are looking for, and the price is not bad. Just a suggestion... Happy .....McM

I actually thought the same thing. The money saved could then be put towards a nice custom replacement grip, or even a scabbard and belt.

Travis
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My point exactly, Travis. Albion will sharpen it up, albeit a secondary bevel....But for a first sharp...hey....it's an Albion! The custom grip and custom scabbard are just "gravy on the taters". Big Grin ........McM
Travis Canaday

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas V wrote:
I was looking heavily into the Albion Swords but after inquiring they told me time to ship would be about 9 months at the moment.

Nicholas,

Just FYI... the wait on a custom sword could be nine months or longer. Years ago I had a custom katana made. By the time the blade went to the polisher, the koshirae maker, and the hilt&scabbard maker it had been almost a year and half before I received my sword. By then I wanted a longsword instead. Ha! I know it's not quite the same situation, but just be prepared to be patient.

Good luck!

Travis
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas V wrote:
I was looking heavily into the Albion Swords but after inquiring they told me time to ship would be about 9 months at the moment. Plus, I really want my first sword to be unique and made specifically for me and not a stock item (childish? Perhaps). But thank you everyone for the suggestions and feedback. I can't wait to be more involved in this community, everyone is super helpful and knowledgeable!

Not childish; cool. But then don't settle for a generic design. Do your research and find something unique for your taste. Good luck.
Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with J.D., this is a pretty cool idea to ask for an unique piece. You can choose your own specific design, in terms of shape or dimensions, to perfectly fit your hand.

But yes, you'll need to be patient. Some craftsmen have quite a long queue - but the result is often worth the price and the waiting. It can exceed two years (look at Marco Danelli, for example).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > First Customized Sword Question
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic