Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 'Viking' shoes and boots... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 25 Dec, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: 'Viking' shoes and boots...         Reply with quote

I've been looking at various websites that sell Medieval and Renaissance footwear, and many examples are touted as 'Viking' shoes and boots. In a lot of them, the tips of the toes are turned upward. Mostly just an extension of the sole, but in some--the whole toe. I'm sure this is a historic feature, but what is the purpose? Just fashion of the age, or some utilitarian use? Maybe to aid in walking through ice and snow? I've often wondered this, but just now decided to ask. Thanks............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suspect the "Viking" label is just a lure for the unwary. Caveat Emptor! I was heavy into shoe research a few years back and made many, but I don't recall ANY actual Viking-era shoes, Scandinavian or otherwise, with turned-up toes. Some originals had a *little* curl from wear, but they aren't really made that way that I remember.

Once you get into 14th century "poulains" with pointier toes, yeah, you see some curling!

And any "boot" that rises more than an inch or so above the ankle is not "Viking", nor Viking era.

There are some EXCELLENT books on shoes, these days, and some great websites such as Marc Carlson's:

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/%7Emarc-carlson/shoe/SHOEHOME.HTM

As always, research before you shop!

Matthew
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Matthew........I wasn't planning on buying any. I was mostly wondering if there was any historic evidence of this type of shoe. You see it a lot in Eastern European/Asian shoes, but I've never seen it in any historic Viking age shoes. Turned up from use and time, yes, but made that way on purpose, no. There's a lady not far from me that does leather work.....may see if she would tackle a pair of custom turnshoes. Big Grin I hate the idea of buying shoes online. I require a wide width and high arch, so I wouldn't mind going custom for good, comfortable feetsies. Big Grin ..........McM
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're welcome! Yeah, custom fit is the way to go, though there are some decent and reputable medieval shoemakers out there who might be used to accommodating feet like yours. I only made shoes for folks if I could trace and measure their feet, then made them try the finished shoes on before paying.

Interestingly, Mycenaean shoes are typically shown with curled-up toes! The ones I made didn't quite turn up as far as I was hoping, but I've seen a couple other people since then have better luck. Weird fashion, for sure.

Matthew
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's kind of why I'm thinking of seeing if this lady would be interested in the project. She's only about 6-7 miles from me, and patterns I've seen look pretty basic. Though, I may throw a few personal flairs into the design. Tracing around the foot would be perfect. I'm sure she has some good, tough Texas bull-hide for soles! Big Grin ........McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been looking very hard at the GDFB twin-buckle ankle boot, but the smallest size I've seen is 9-1/2. Way too long for my size 8 to 8-1/2, depending on the boot. Those really would curl up on me. Laughing Out Loud Anyone know if they are made in smaller sizes? They get excellent reviews at KoA. Medieval Collectibles sells some very similar called the 'Raimund' boot, but I'm not sure about the quality. Anyone have any of THOSE? Happy .............McM
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try Boots By Bohemond...

http://boots-by-bohemond.myshopify.com/collections/shoes

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, WOW.....That site is awesome Thanks, Phil! I had never heard of them before, even after all of my searches! I just may have to place an order, but I still may yet go custom. Thanks again! Cool! Big Grin ........McM
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try www.vikingleathercrafts.com. He offers some shoes as well as a host of other leather goods geared to that. He is also a very nice guy.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Lin........I've checked out VLC, and they have some nice stuff. If I WERE to buy some, though....I would probably go with Phil's guy, Bohemond. There are a couple there that I would like to see a kinda mix of. And...I may yet get some photos of what I'm thinking about, and pitch the idea to my 'leather lady' just down the road from me. All she can do is say 'No, I don't want to mess with it.' It's been a long time since I commissioned anything to be custom made. I just like watching over the step-by-step process, while trying the whole time to avoid being a pain in the butt. Laughing Out Loud Thanks again everyone!.....McM
Marc Blaydoe

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got my shoes from Bohemond. They are great shoes for an excellent price and hold up well but they are not very authentic.
An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Marc....I like the looks of their products. If you've ever read many of my posts here, you'll see that I'm not a real big stickler for 'historically correct'. One of the BEST pair of boots I currently own is a pair of Minnetonka knee-high lace-up hard soles. REAL hard soles, not the cheesy foam padded knee-highs you see advertised everywhere. I've had them since I was 18 years old, now 50, and they are still going strong. I look mostly for quality over authenticity. Bohemond products appear to be quite well made. Their pure simplicity would be the major selling point for me. Thanks again for the response! Happy .....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgot to add----I found the maker of the 'Raimund' boot I was inquiring about earlier. Turns out, they are a 'larp' manufacturer called Mytholon, based in Germany, I believe. I have a pair of their padded 'Leopold' bracers and greaves, and they are excellent. Sold through Medieval Collectibles. Their products with the item code 'MY' are Mytholon products. Nice quality, and fairly cheap. Just to let ya know. Happy Some pretty cool stuff a lot of American eyes may not have seen. Wink ......McM
Martin Moser

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

to reinforce what Matt was saying, those upturned toes so often seen in "medieval" (incl. Viking) shoes are fantasy. The only specimen Im aware of are near east and typically later, up to the 19th and 20th centuries.
There are however earlier shoes with a sort of upturned tip, e.g. the carbatina from Roswinkel and Oberflacht (http://www.landesstelle.de/alamanische-bundschuhe/) or some pharaonic Egyptian "curled toe" shoes (see my recon at https://www.facebook.com/leatherworkthroughtheages/posts/360982467433172).

Cheers,
Martin

https://www.facebook.com/leatherworkthroughtheages/
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I may have found my solution right here online. Just bought a new pair of 'chukka' boots. Ankle-high, three hole lace-up, brown suede leather, barely any heel---very low. Not the thick crepe sole you see on the modern chukkas. Very thin leather. I've already figured out a way to modify them to look--almost--like the genuine article. And they're in my size! Big Grin Anything I do to them can be undone easily. So...for $59 bucks...I think I can pull off the look. If not, I'll have a new pair of putt-abouts in time for spring! Laughing Out Loud Will try to get pics later, when I'm done. Big Grin .........McM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 'Viking' shoes and boots...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic