Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > LOB Rondel upgradeDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: LOB Rondel upgrade         Reply with quote

A quick side project (hopefully!)
I got hold of one of both "Lord of Battles" rondels last year. For the price, I was pleasantly surprised: well put together, sturdy, historically plausible (from some distance).

Both are sturdy, perfect candidates for upgrades. It took me 2 minutes to disassemble - good surprise as nothing is glued. A few pass on the "peened" tang top and I was able to unscrew everything.

Nut and top rondel are simply screwed on. Wood grip and brackets are loose, which could not be better to tweak and play around with. So for 57$, I have a dagger kit including a nice roped wooden grip, 2 grip brackets, a very sturdy triangular blade (with a beefy threaded tang), 2 nicely shaped rondels (the discs tapper towards the edge), a steel scabbard shape I can work with. Scabbard and bayonnet style loop suspension had a one way trip to the bin. Most of the hard work is done, everything is pre-assembled and ready for tweaks...so pretty happy with a purchase I was not fully convinced about.

This will be an excuse to do an rondel scabbard, always wanted to make one of those, but I could not resist and started messing about with the discs and wooden grip. I'll make the grip profile more subtle, file work the grip brackets, peen the all thing. I've started working on the discs - black and decker power file...35 minutes so far. I'll refine with dremel and file work.

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Way cool, Julien! I've been mulling over getting one of those! Now that I see it disassembled, I believe it's a must have! That thing is built like a tank! I have no doubt that you will do something over the top with it! ........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooh! Exciting project! I've wondered about those as project pieces, so this will be fun to watch.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine's ordered! I see some silver wire wrap on a grip and some file-worked rondels in my future. Sheath.....not too sure yet....may keep the bottom chape and build around it. Whatever I do, I'm sure yours will look a damn-sight better, Julien! Can't wait to see what you come up with! Big Grin ..............McM
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Oooh! Exciting project! I've wondered about those as project pieces, so this will be fun to watch.

I'm sure you have Sean! I'll try not to go overboard and finish within the next 2 month instead of embarking on a 2 to 4 years epic project Happy. I keep on screwing up my shape brazing on my Durer project and I needed a break.

Mark Moore wrote:
Mine's ordered! I see some silver wire wrap on a grip and some file-worked rondels in my future. Sheath.....not too sure yet....may keep the bottom chape and build around it.

Thx Mark, looking forward to see what you'll make of it too. These rondels are easy to work with, especially the top one that you can screw on the tang and clamp on a vice and file away. Yeah keeping the shape is a good idea, not hard to make more appealing with some filling too. Should look good on a double layered veg tan scabbard.
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: LOB Rondel upgrade         Reply with quote

Julien,

Thanks much for the lead. Had started a rondel project several months ago and was considering butchering an old bayonet for the blade.

Regards,
Dan
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just thought about maybe doing some piercings on the spacers---Dremel work---and having colored felt or leather underneath that would show through. Probably red or green. A certain fantastic looking 'iron hat' here in the forums gave me the idea. Big Grin Hmmm....should I ever decide to sell it, bet I know who would buy it! Wink Big Grin ............McM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > LOB Rondel upgradeDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic