Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shoulder armour in this 15th century Italian Manuscript Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared McClelland

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Shoulder armour in this 15th century Italian Manuscript         Reply with quote

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4608/12984/

For a while I've been trying to put things together so that I can have a fairly accurate armour harness made based on Italian armour from around the 1430s, the only thing I haven't been able to find actual artifacts for is shoulder armour. Artwork I've found from the time (as seen in the link I included) doesn't depict it too well (I usually can't even tell if it's supposed to be spaulders or pauldrons). Anyone know what that drawing might be representing in terms of shoulder armour?
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks to me like a simple, dished pauldron with segmented upper arm. The cloak is hiding most of the pauldron, so the actual shape is unknown. But, a simple, rounded shape would be most likely. Happy .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are just wanting them for costuming purposes, Epic Armoury sells the Merc Steel pauldrons in 18 ga. steel. One piece shoulder, with two lower lames. Buckled belt at the top, and adjustable upper arm buckled belt. The shoulder belt can be used with either the buckle or strap end, or the whole belt---depending on what you are attaching it to. Looks very similar to the picture, though they are not taken from any historically based armor that I know of. I guess you could say they are 'generic'. If you are planning on any SCA/HEMA fighting, something in a thicker gauge steel would serve you better. The Merc's are available at KoA...not a bad price either. Happy ..........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Jared McClelland

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
If you are just wanting them for costuming purposes, Epic Armoury sells the Merc Steel pauldrons in 18 ga. steel. One piece shoulder, with two lower lames. Buckled belt at the top, and adjustable upper arm buckled belt. The shoulder belt can be used with either the buckle or strap end, or the whole belt---depending on what you are attaching it to. Looks very similar to the picture, though they are not taken from any historically based armor that I know of. I guess you could say they are 'generic'. If you are planning on any SCA/HEMA fighting, something in a thicker gauge steel would serve you better. The Merc's are available at KoA...not a bad price either. Happy ..........McM

At the moment I am m getting armour more for costume purposes, but I may eventually get into reenactment or living history, so I'm trying to get the armour as historically accurate as possible. So I'm not really interested in Epic Armoury armour, thanks for the suggestion though.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Google 'Mantova ducal palace Pisanello' and you will see frescos from the mid 1430's showing very large pauldrons They go back further than that.

Attachment: 94.19 KB
Mantova Pisanello.jpg

jamesarlen.com
Jared McClelland

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:
Google 'Mantova ducal palace Pisanello' and you will see frescos from the mid 1430's showing very large pauldrons They go back further than that.

Thank-you for this, I've been searching for a good source on shoulder armour for several months, this helps me tremendously.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another painted by Fabriano c. 1425.

Attachment: 52.81 KB
[ Download ]

jamesarlen.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shoulder armour in this 15th century Italian Manuscript
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic