Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Luger ID Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Campbell

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Luger ID         Reply with quote

My father left to my sister and I 2 Lugers and 2 over-under Browning Shotguns. We have been able to ID on of the Browning.

I found this forum and wanted to see if anyone might be able to ID 3 fire arms. First, this Luger:
1918 etched (not stamped), 1466 and 66 appearing on other parts, and Mauser (I think) marking.

Thank you,
Scott

Attachment: 451.78 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 440.93 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 474.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 471.02 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 449.23 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 484 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 400 KB
[ Download ]
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott...

I suggest you look around the Net for a forum devoted to these types of firearms. I feel sure you will find one which specializes in Lugers, in which there is a lot of collectors' interest.

These guns are valued and identified by markings, including assembly numbers, which help determine whether the gun is 100% original or a composite of parts, which is not uncommon. Also, they were made for the militarys of a number of countries on a contract basis by Mauser. This forum, while firearms do come up occasionally, is populated primarily by folks interested in more ancient weapons.

Good luck and you should be able to get your questions answered elsewhere.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Scott Campbell

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you. I apologize for not being more thorough in my recognition of your very fine forum. Now that I look at it, there are some very cool stuff here. Again, sorry and if you are able delete this thread. Don't want to embarrass myself any further. Best regards, Scott
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gosh Scott...

I am not an administrator and there is no need to delete your post, if I was. I was just suggesting you might have more luck on another forum.

Yes, this is a very interesting and maybe unique forum, which has a lot of members who know quite a lot about their subjects. I have learned a lot here and have even used it as a place to research for articles and a book or two. Don't feel embarrassed and do stay on the forum and look at some of the posts. There are also a number of member-produced articles on various subjects which are very interesting as well. I think you will find a lot of interest to you here.

I am really more of a gun guy than a sword guy but have got them too. Send me a PM, if you wish, regarding your other guns and I will see if I can help you.

Lin

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott....A word of warning: Swords are addictive. You may wind up being a blade junky if you hang out here long enough! Laughing Out Loud Welcome to the Armoury, and many happy returns!!!........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott - go to the two sites linked below and submit pictures in the newbie sections. There are also resources on both that have data on markings, etc. You'll want some additional pictures, including a good shot from the top, showing the date and toggle stamps clearly, and everywhere a number or symbol is stamped - this includes the disassembled pieces. If you don't feel comfortable disassembling the gun, you will get less info.

Basically, on these guns, practically every piece that could be stamped with a serial number was. Your primary serial is 1466, but I couldn't see the post-script letter on the end (this is important for determining date range of manufacture within the given year). All of the smaller pieces with a stamp (including the inside of the grips) will be stamped with a "66" if they match. Appears it was produced by DWM, Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabrike, (the large mark on the toggle that is hard to see in the photos), which is the original manufacturer of lugers and is considered highly prized. The magazine looks like it is of the right era (wood base, nickel rather than blue), and should also have a full serial number stamped on the wooden base (including letter). If the magazine has a "+" after the serial number, it means it was the "second" magazine and not the "primary" magazine. Also, you may want to look through your dad's papers - soldiers that brought lugers back with them were supposed to file paperwork with the military that approved the "bring back" and provided data on the gun and some of its markings. Even if it wasn't brought back by your dad, he may have acquired it from the soldier, or the family of the soldier, who did and have that paperwork. The more of the story you have and the documents you have to back it, the greater the value. I can tell you that since there is no seer safety, it is likely a military gun. Without seeing the toggle markings, etc., I can't say whether army, air force or navy, but I doubt navy since the anchor and the Kriegsmarine "K" typically stand out and should be visible even in the shot provided of the top of the gun.

If there is a holster and tool with a matching acceptance mark, with matching year and all other elements lining up (Army issue, Air Force issue, German, Swiss, Portuguese), this also adds value. For the barrel length gun you have (i.e., not an "artillery" luger), Air Force and Navy are most sought after, generally, since they were the least likely to survive the demise or surrender of their original owner.

Good luck!

Myself, I have a 1939 Mauser Army, 5555p, all matching except magazines. Mine has a bit of deterioration in the bluing on one side. It has been speculated that the deterioration is due to organic biological staining that wasn't immediately removed. It was a WW2 piece, recovered by a US soldier - I'll let you work out how it was stained...

http://luger.gunboards.com/forum.php

http://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Luger ID
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic