Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Padded thigh armor... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Padded thigh armor...         Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to get padded thigh armor in smaller sizes? I really like the GDFB model with the steel knees, but the smallest I've seen would look absolutely ridiculous on me. I'm not a very big guy, only 5'-6'', and I have a thigh circumference of about 22''. I've only ever seen the GDFB's in large at 26-28''. Surely there are some swordplayers and reenactors out there that aren't built like a pro wrestler. I guess I COULD get the GDFB's and modify them, but that would be a big hassle. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several facebook groups that sell armor, also you could check the Armourarchive.org classifides and discussian forums. Armoruarchive is how I discovered both myArmoury and SFI about 10 years ago.

I think my main question would be what do you intend to do with the armor? Is it for costuming or do you intend to fight in it? That makes a huge difference. Add to that, if you are going to fight what group are you going to fight with?

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, David......I guess I'm looking more for costume purposes than anything else. I sure as hell don't plan on fighting anybody anytime soon! Too old and stove up. I'm just looking for lighter weight, semi-historical looking stuff for the Ren-Fests. That's why I've been trying to sell my plate and mail. Matter of fact, I need a couple of aspirin right now........McM
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Hey, David......I guess I'm looking more for costume purposes than anything else. I sure as hell don't plan on fighting anybody anytime soon! Too old and stove up. I'm just looking for lighter weight, semi-historical looking stuff for the Ren-Fests. That's why I've been trying to sell my plate and mail. Matter of fact, I need a couple of aspirin right now........McM

Well, I laughed out loud at this.......

You could make some costume stuff from packing blankets/ moving blankets. If you have sowing skills you could make padded armor by hand using almost anything as filler and make a shallow dish for the knee.

Go to armourarchive and look at the patterns there. There is also a great section called "I want to be a".....

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=14

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, David....I thought about just making some myself, but if I did, you'd sure as hell be able to tell it ! Laughing Out Loud I'm glad you got a good laugh. I think I found some that will work to my advantage. I may give them a try....if I don't like 'em, back they'll go. Saw all kinds in a web search, but most are overseas and waaaay expensive. Check out a website called 'Fight Club'....I think it's from Australia......A bunch of really cool stuff there. Thanks..........McM
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steel Mastery (Ukraine) does brig style and padded legs. They will typically make to order. I have several items from them, and have been pleased with all of it.

http://www.steel-mastery.com/en/brigandine-ar...ine-tasses
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Victor. Do they have a distributor in the US that you know of ? I have a thing about doing business overseas. That's all I'll say about that. .........McM
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark - No US distribution so far as I know (haven't checked KOA), but, since most of their stuff is semi-custom and made to order (at least on the armor/clothing side of the equation), I suspect that if they do ever have US distribution, it will be for accessory type items that can be produced in "standard" sizes.

And, while I understand that many have some hesitancy dealing with vendors on whatever is opposite of the side of the Atlantic where they live, I've had nothing but good experiences with Steel Mastery and the three or four other continental European and English vendors I've dealt with over the years.

Another thing to consider, if you or someone you know is handy with a sewing machine, you can find patterns for many of the textile based items of armor and padding out there and then it would be a matter of sourcing buckles and knees and other metallic bits - likely via KOA for much of it. Alternatively, someone similarly handy might also be able to make alterations to the GDFB product.

Good luck!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Padded thigh armor...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic