Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > the Grimnir sword competition Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Audun Refsahl

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: the Grimnir sword competition         Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
I would like to make sure that you are all aware of the sword giveaway that Grimnir is doing. I'm sure many of you allready have entered, but I think everyone should get a chance.

This is part of the marketing of the game 'The Frostrune', a point and click adventure game due to release in september.

Now I want to present the sword, as it is an exciting project.
First of all, you will find a picture of the sword here: http://thefrostrune.com/sword/
well, it's a painting by Rene Aigner, the sword is still in production. But you get the design, type and so on.
So, what makes it exciting? It is a collaboration between Jake Powning and Nils Anderssen.

Jake http://powning.com/jake/ you all know. He has designed some key elements in the game, and he has also designed the sword. We neded the decorations on the sword to be both as authentic as possible and also reflect key features of the game, and Jake was the perfect guy for this.

Nils Anderssen is this guy: http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?s=1...opic=30965 He has made a number of swords and other historical reproductions of really high quality, and is combining highly developed classical skills with modern technology like 3D printing.
Lucky for us Nils is also a key part of the development and production of the game.

Letting these two guys play with a high quality american made blade is definitely exciting to me, and I hope you like it as well Happy
If you have any questions about the sword (or the game), just go ahead and let me know Happy

just bacon...
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys.
Mr Robinson and I have talked and moved this thread here, as it is a little commercial in some ways. Happy

I want to keep the focus on the sword, I think this is whatr interests you guys the most. But just to give you a backdrop:
The Frostrune is a point and click adventure game set in viking age scandinavia. You knw, the kind where you move from scene to scene to pick up items, solve puzzles and uncover a story as you play. For hand held devices like smart phones, tablets, or computers if you wish. What makes the game special is that we have made a real effort to make everything as authentic as possible. I have spendt 3 years researching every single object in that game. In a few cases, in puzzles etc, we could not find the objects that the story needed, and in those few cases Jake Powning has designed those objects for us. For everything else I have a source.

This makes the sword special to us. It is designed the same way, by keeping it as historically correct as possible, and at the same time useing Jake to tie it into the game. The sword appears in the game, naturally Happy

Nils wrote a blog piece on his construction of the sword, and I think you will be interested in reading this Happy
http://www.grimnirmedia.no/the-making-of-tyrv...une-sword/

As for the competition, I would love it if the sword is won by someone here, and someone who would write a rewiev on it Happy
It is not dangerous to enter the competition. you will have to register for a newsletter, and visit our page on facebook, if you are on facebook. The newsletter will not be spam. we are making some trailers for the game, you will recieve those, and a notification when the game is being launched. We will not sell your info or send other junk. I promise!

So, it's your chance to get a sword made by Jake and Nils, for free. It would be stupid not to enter Wink

-Audun

just bacon...
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is now an update on this sword to be found here:
http://www.grimnirmedia.no/update-on-the-making-of-tyrving/

just bacon...
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems that this 'competition' finished at about 4a.m. GMT but go on to the 'Win a Sword Competition' webpage and suddenly there is now another 4 MONTHS to go. It would appear that those who entered the 'competition' in good faith may not have had that good faith reciprocated! Not the way to make friends and influence people.
Regards,
Norman.
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Norman.

Yes, we have postponed the draw of the competition. Sadly. I will explain what happened.

We were set to release the game, and end the competition mid october. we missed our finnish date with one week. one small week. but that week changed everything. suddenly all the triple A companies, the biggest companies with multi million dollar marketing budgets, are releasing their games for christmas. These companies buy their way to the top of all sales lists, and suffocate everyone else. We had no chance in h*** to make it if we had released it. Even if we desperately need the money, will go 4 months without a paycheck and have the finnished product in hand. Our publisher, who has the role of being the sober grownup strategist who makes all the smart decisions, made the decision that we release in january. And they have the right, by contract, to make that decision. And it was a good decision.

I am sad, and sorry, for this. I would have loved to have the sword out by christmas, maybe see someone cut the christmas ham with it, or the christmas tree, or something like this. I do accept the critique, I think you are right to be disappointed, and I had wished to do better by you and everyone here, and everyone in the competition.

The things I will do better is; The game will be better, it will not be a rush job! I will have a long and serious talk with the publisher, especially on the topic of the newsletter, to make sure we give everyone the information and explanation that they deserve. Create more free content, I will talk to the swordsmith about this, make something that is valuable to the subscribers, and send this out through the newsletter and our other social media. Make more content for Steam etc.

Sorry for being a bad friend, I will try to be better at it.

just bacon...
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, man.....Don't beat yourself up. We have a saying here in the US...."Shyte Happeneth." Cry .......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mark, thanks.

But really, this is not a problem for me. this is quality assurance. If we find a fault, we have to make it better. we have to learn from it. and I could take several things away from this one, so it's good. reading Normans post didn't make me more sorry, I was already sorry for this, so letting you guys know is not a problem.

Making something, it being a sword, an axe, a game, for sale, for building abusiness, for public critique and acceptance is hard. you are really putting yourself out there, your pride and your financial stuff. I have been part of this forum for about 10 years now, seeing swordmakers start, struggle and make it, and retire to more sensible stuff. I have the greatest respect for these guys! I'm never buying factory made again! (hopefully, come february, that will not be a problem anymore Big Grin :P )

just bacon...
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Audun,
I appreciate your explanation and I do know that sometimes things do not run as smoothly as expected. Having more than a modicum of Norwegian ancestry and more than a passing knowledge of Norse folklore I am looking forward to the finished article i.e. the game. I do hope the delay in launching the game will be worth the wait.
My Regards,
Norman.
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Norman.

I'm taking the impatience as a compliment, actually. I am as impatient as you, and I really can't wait to see your reaction, both to the finnished sword and the finnished game. I was at a game expo this weekend, testing the game on the audience, and people comletely lost track of time and we had to politely remind people that they had played for 30-45 minutes, and that there was a line Big Grin It was an enormous confidence boost!

We had a meeting last night about the issues. I am writing a blog post right now about the delay, and we will use the newsletter to reach everyone with an announcement. I also talked to the swordmaker at that meeting and we are rushing for an update. I believe he is quite soon ready to send the wax models to casting, so that will be exciting!

About the date, we are absolutely aiming at the end of january now! we are looking at having the release event at somewhere exciting, like a museum or similar, so the exact date will release when we have everything ready. I can't say anything more, but some of the posibilities have me jumping in my chair... Happy

Thanx for keeping me alert!

just bacon...
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hilt has been sendt to casting now, and we eagerly await the results. Nils also managed to take some WIP picktures, and we uploaded them to facebook. have a look here:
https://www.facebook.com/grimnirmedia/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1195034423912675

just bacon...
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

Feedback score: 100%
(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just finished the game. I loved it Big Grin

It's fun, very atmospheric and the artwork is beautiful.

Has anyone won the sword yet?
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen, the end of this thread is getting near. The game is out on all platforms and getting awesome reviews. The sword is finnished, and the feedback is awesome. The competition will be concluded on sunday.
The winner will be drawn on GDC, Game Developers Conference, in San Fransisco by the legendary Tim Schafer from Double Fine Studios, the Peter Johnsson of adventure gaming. The announcement will be made Thuesday February 28th.

http://www.grimnirmedia.no/were-announcing-th...bruary-28/

You still have a chance to win the sword here: http://thefrostrune.com/sword/

You can see the pictures here https://www.facebook.com/pg/grimnirmedia/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1276386859110764 and also I have attatched some.
If you look around in the photo section of our facebook page you will find a bunch more WIP pictures.

If you haven't entered yet, now is the time, you only have a few more days. And if yoy haven't played the game yet, or gifted it to your younger family, why not take a chance Wink

Attachment: 59.7 KB
tyrving 1.jpg
http://thefrostrune.com/sword/

Attachment: 38.66 KB
tyrving 2.jpg

Attachment: 36.46 KB
tyrving 3.jpg

Attachment: 39.24 KB
tyrving 4.jpg

just bacon...
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, so I figured I'd throw together a WIP post as well. I was allowed 10 pictures, but I think you get the gest of it. It was first designed in a 3D modelling program on a computer. then sendt to Jake Powning for final design, and then 3D modelled in his design. the pictures starts after Jake was done. Enjoy, and join the competition!

Attachment: 8.31 KB
tyrving wip 13.jpg
This is Nils doing the final assembly in the workshop on the Vikingship museum in Oslo

Attachment: 10.41 KB
tyrving wip 12.jpg
Allmost happy

Attachment: 8.88 KB
tyrving wip 11.jpg
silver wire

Attachment: 10.34 KB
tyrving wip 10.jpg
Silver rings for the handle

Attachment: 8.46 KB
tyrving wip 9.jpg
Bog oak, of course

Attachment: 8.87 KB
tyrving wip 8.jpg
The pieces finally in bronze

Attachment: 8.68 KB
tyrving wip 7.jpg
Wax models ready for casting

Attachment: 12.74 KB
tyrving wip 6.jpg
Making silicone molds out of the plastic models, to create wax models for casting

Attachment: 8.72 KB
tyrving wip 5.jpg
3D printed plastic model of the handle with all fittings

Attachment: 8.34 KB
tyrving wip 4.jpg
3D printed model of the crossguard, with the correct pattern. Lots of cleaning up to do.

just bacon...
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: drumrolls         Reply with quote

The time has come to reveal the winner. I am quite confident that he is a member of this forum, I did a little research and found out he is a respectable knife maker out of South Africa. Well, ladies and gentlemen, please congratulate Stuart Anthony Smith from www.Forgedknives.co.za. Looking through his website I feel confident that we have found a worthy winner!

To see the drawing of the winner: http://www.grimnirmedia.no/we-have-a-winner/
To check out the game: http://www.grimnirmedia.no/you-can-buy-our-game-now/

Thank you all for the attention!

just bacon...
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful, and congrats to the winner!

Also, you receive bonus points for using Lego in the casting. Added the game for some much required mobile entertainment while I recover.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > the Grimnir sword competition
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic