Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Genuine Arms and Armor sword??? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Genuine Arms and Armor sword???         Reply with quote

I recently found a seller with the following sword and am curious if this is a genuine A&A piece?
The seller’s description is: "Beautiful recreation of Maximilian the 1st's Bastard Sword as crafted by Arms and Armor".

The seller has agreed to stop by the shop and have it checked out, as well, but I hoped someone here might know.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachment: 13.95 KB
IMG_2241.JPG

Attachment: 164.01 KB
[ Download ]
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lordy no. Not if it's what's in the second picture; first one is too dim to really make out a whole lot.

This is the only one on their website that has a Maximilian I label:

http://arms-n-armor.com/custom918.html

Now I won't discount that they may have made some swords of broadly similar shape, but those cast metal fittings... I don't think so. More likely this is a cheap tourist-grade sword from the 70s or 80s, possibly Spanish made.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: A&A oldy         Reply with quote

Yep that's one of ours. An oldy by the looks of it. Looks like its been through a bit as well.

Craig
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember that sword. It was in some of the first paper catalogs that you guys would send out. I love the fittings.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...well never mind then Happy A very old one huh? That did occur to me, but I wasn't sure.

Mea culpa then!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How accurate a reproduction is it, if you don't mind me asking? And which Maximilian I? Happy
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: A&A oldy         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Yep that's one of ours. An oldy by the looks of it. Looks like its been through a bit as well.

Craig

Thanks for getting back to me, Craig. Can you shed any light on the construction of this piece. I like my swords to be capable of light cutting and not just wall hangers.

Thanks!
Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What would any of you pay for this? Blade has surface rust but I should be able to clean it up...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Balmer wrote:
What would any of you pay for this? Blade has surface rust but I should be able to clean it up...

$200 is a steal

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

$180 cash. Good weight, full tang with screw-on pommel. Will update once I have more time.
Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: update         Reply with quote

I'll add some decent photos later tonight but here is what I know, thus far:
This is a great blade. Very high quality with plenty of spring but doesn't feel like a whip. Nice "beefy" full-tang construction.

This thing is a beast! Feels fairly blade heavy and not nearly as nimble as my Hanwei Tinker Bastard. It is quite a bit longer, however.

It'll get some much needed TLC but I just gave it a good Scotch-Brite and oiling. Most of the surface rust was removed but the is some pitting from years of neglect. The original owner purchased it directly from the Arms and Armor shop in the late '90's (1996-1998?). At some point very soon, I'd like to have Craig take a look at it and see if he can do something about the pitting.

The handle "feels" awful and is covered in a suede. I imagine that will be a fall/winter project.

Overall specs, as measured by me:
Overall Length 46.5"
Blade Length 37"
Weight 3.35 lbs
Point of Balance 5" from guard
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have bought that thing in a heartbeat if I was local and could have picked it up. I doubt they'd have shipped it. It's a great deal, really. Grips are an easy thing to replace and a new ones goes a long way to making a sword look completely different: a huge upgrade.
Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some quick photos after the preliminary clean up. I have still have a long way to go but she's ready to hang on the wall. I can tell that this is going to be a spectacular sword, once I'm done with it.

After disassembly, I notice that the grip is asymmetrical and that the pommel was cast/machined just a bit crooked. With that said, this will be a great project for a new grip.

For $180, I feel like this is a phenomenal deal!

J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Old photos from 1993 catalog         Reply with quote

Man, that was a great buy! Seriously nice find, great price too.

I was inspired to grab my A&A catalog from 1993, from when I first encountered the guys at a renaissance festival. I'll always wonder if Craig or Chris were manning the booth that day.

Anyhow, here are the only photos of the Maximillian sword in question, straight from the catalog from days of yore. It would be improved by a better hilt, but I'm sure the blade and fittings are pretty good considering their age and use. Enjoy!

BTW First picture the Max sword is on the far left, number 80, next to the earlier incarnation of the Schloss Erbach<-----DOH! It's actually the German Bastard Sword! A&A Fanboy license revoked pending review!!

Attachment: 97.55 KB
A&AMaximillianCatalog (360x640).jpg

Attachment: 117.95 KB
A&AMaximillianCatalog2 (360x640).jpg

Attachment: 123.01 KB
1993 A&A Catalog (480x640).jpg

Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Old photos from 1993 catalog         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Man, that was a great buy! Seriously nice find, great price too.

I was inspired to grab my A&A catalog from 1993, from when I first encountered the guys at a renaissance festival. I'll always wonder if Craig or Chris were manning the booth that day.

Anyhow, here are the only photos of the Maximillian sword in question, straight from the catalog from days of yore. It would be improved by a better hilt, but I'm sure the blade and fittings are pretty good considering their age and use. Enjoy!

BTW First picture the Max sword is on the far left, number 80, next to the earlier incarnation of the Schloss Erbach<-----DOH! It's actually the German Branch Sword! A&A Fanboy license revoked pending review!!

THANK YOU! So awesome to have that info!
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aarrgghh! FROM MY POST IT'S ACTUALLY NEXT TO THE GERMAN BASTARD SWORD!!!

Eek! (fanboy license status?)

Anyhow, enjoy it and yeah give us more pictures when you are done with the renovating!
Arne G.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A fine acquisition! I would have bought that without hesitation had I seen it.

Are there any details on the original this is based upon? Books with photos, or at least which museum it is in?
Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure. Hopefully, Craig Johnson will chime in and shed some light.
Chris Balmer

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few quick shots of the pommel and guard after being polished in my ammunition reloading tumbler for 3-4 hours. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the results. This weekend, i'll work on polishing the blade, as well.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great. You scored a good deal.

For what it's worth, the sword in question is a greatly simplified version of the swords of the family shown here.

Attachment: 1.58 MB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Genuine Arms and Armor sword???
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: