Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wearing a sword belt with a Cuirass+Tassets... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Moore

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Wearing a sword belt with a Cuirass+Tassets...         Reply with quote

Hello everyone! My name is Paul and I am a new member here! I was hoping to get some guidance from someone much more knowledgeable than I about the current topic at hand. I am looking to put together a suit of armor for recreational purposes, like medieval festivals or dressing up for Halloween. I will be using a typical padded gambeson with maille as the base for the kit to keep it somewhat, and I use this term loosely, historically accurate, but along the way I have decided that the plate portion of the armor will be a bit more in the realm of fantasy. I would like to use a cuirass and matching gorget/pauldrons from a company called Stahlgilde. Here is the armor set that I am looking at...

I plan on purchasing the Hand and a Half Sword and matching dagger from Cold Steel to go with this to complete the set, but I am not sure if having the sword belt go on the outside of the armor is correct. Normally, if it was just the breastplate, the belt would cinch directly underneath the edge of the metal, but with the tassets in place I feel like the belt would interfere. I have not been able to find any pictures that show a sword belt over top of the tassets...the only images I find are of sword belts that cinch closed directly over the maille or hold together a tabard/surcoat. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks so much for your time, it is greatly appreciated!
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Easy to find pictures of sword belts over faulds, and you should be able to find some above the flange where the bottom of the breast and back is flanged. But for this particular armour, I don't think that'll work. Depending on how down the tassets come, you might be able to wear a swordbelt under the cuirass/tassets, with the sword either to the rear, behind the tassets, or below the tassets. Below won't work so well if they come below the point of the thighbone.

Otherwise, consider a baldric instead of a swordbelt. It's a common historical choice for armours of breast + two large tassets (like pike armours).

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Paul Moore

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo: Thanks for the quick reply! Under normal circumstances I would agree that a baldric would be the best and easiest solution to my dilemma, however, there is another complication with that...
There is another piece of the costume that I am planning on wearing and it is a medieval-ish type cloak that I am hoping will 'enhance' the look, for lack of a better term. This one in particular...

I can only imagine that the wearing of this cloak will not allow the use of the baldric as the fabric will cover the entire thing. Drawing the sword will be impossible unless the cloak is off. I am thinking that a better option now is to find out if the tassets can be removed, or to find a breastplate that does not utilize tassets at all. Maybe another option would be to ditch the breastplate altogether, and find a gorget that drops down really low to cover areas like the sternum? And then couple that gorget with a matching pauldron set? Oh, I am so confused...Any insight would be most helpful! Thanks!
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't see why a cloak like that would stop a baldric from working. I think a baldric would work better with it than a sword belt, because you can have the sword with the hilt in front of you and fairly high where the cloak won't stop you from reaching it. The sword could also hang fairly vertically, so it won't interfere with the cloak.

Since you're going mail+gambeson as a base, and have some interest in historical accuracy, you could go for a more historical breastplate. Such as:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...tury+Armor
although that's perhaps too expensive for a limited use costume piece. It won't get in the way of a sword belt, and it should work well with a large cloak.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Paul Moore

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo: I think I understand a little better why you recommended the baldric. For some reason I was under the impression that a baldric was designed for a larger sword to be hung on the back and therefore, drawn by reaching your hand behind your head and over the shoulder to get to the hilt. After actually taking the time to search I found that some of the baldrics will allow the sword to be mounted very close to the hip, which is a desired location for me. There might be a small problem, however, in that the sword ends up sitting almost vertical. This may cause a slight conflict as I am only 6 feet tall and my hip to feet length is shorter than hip to head. With the Cold Steel sword having a total length of 45 1/2 inches, the sword needs to be at a decent (probably 30-45 degree) angle to keep the tip of the sheathe from dragging on the ground. Couple this with the fact that I want to also carry the matching dagger on the opposite side so I don't think the baldric will work for me Sad ...

As far as budget, I am not limiting myself on price to obtain specific items. I don't plan on spending thousands upon thousands of dollars to make an armor costume that will see the light of day maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but spending upwards of $500 for armor doesn't scare or deter me from getting it. I also went back to search for some images of sword belts being used with plate armor and came across a really nice armor set that features a girl standing in the snow with full plate armor and a red cape...

I love the look of this! The sword belt does not seem out of place here like it does with the cuirass that I want to use, and this girl is obviously wearing a cuirass...you can even see the tassets hanging from it! You wouldn't happen to know who makes that armor, would you? I assume that I could make another thread for that topic if need be...

Needlessly to say, I am still kinda confused. I am torn between keeping my armor historically accurate and adding a flair of the fantastical. Guess I will just have to keep looking around!
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Effigies showing sword belt

Paul Moore

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, after some detective work (by scrolling through some comments on pinterest) I was able to find the username of the person who owns the armor shown in the picture that I posted with the girl in the snow. Supposedly, the cuirass was 2.5mm thick stainless steel and was purchased from a friend of his (they all live in Sweden) but the maker is unknown. The arm and leg armor came from Epic Armory under the Balthasar Collection, which has been discontinued. The gorget, pauldrons, lower leg greaves and helmet were all purchased from Oaklake. He didn't specify how long ago he bought the armor, but some searching of those companies revealed that none of the armor pieces taken in that picture are currently being offered at this time.

So back to the drawing board for me...I have noticed a trend where I find a set of pauldrons/gorget that I like, but the matching breastplate is kinda meh, or I find a cuirass that looks really nice but nothing else really seems to go with it. Does anybody know of any other sites that specialize in LARP/Fantasy style armor that I could look at. Thanks again for all your help!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Dec, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you're not too fussed about doing it the historical way, you could try using the Japanese method -- wrap a long sash around your body (at least twice around) and then stick the sword in at a shallow angle through the layers of the sash. It might work better with cuirasses that don't have the historical European shape with a pronounced waist and sharply flared-out faulds.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of later examples showing how important it is to have flared faulds or tassets to comfortably seat a sword-belt over the armour.

Attachment: 36.75 KB
03-004189.jpg

Attachment: 58.65 KB
montefeltro_1_130.jpg

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Look at the plate armor on Kult of Athena , Medieval Collectibles , and Epic Armory. They have a lot of cool stuff....some all the same , but they also have some different items as well. Just my two cents...........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh.......I forgot Armstreet armoury..........pricey, but cool. .............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Moore wrote:
I also went back to search for some images of sword belts being used with plate armor and came across a really nice armor set that features a girl standing in the snow with full plate armor and a red cape...

I love the look of this! The sword belt does not seem out of place here like it does with the cuirass that I want to use, and this girl is obviously wearing a cuirass...you can even see the tassets hanging from it! You wouldn't happen to know who makes that armor, would you? I assume that I could make another thread for that topic if need be...

Needlessly to say, I am still kinda confused. I am torn between keeping my armor historically accurate and adding a flair of the fantastical. Guess I will just have to keep looking around!

While we're at it, please don't use this picture as a visual reference for what you'd like your armour to look like. The entire harness looks too big for the woman wearing it -- the waistline of the breastplate seems to be almost all the way down by her crotch when it should be around the height of her ribs, and the leg armour gives a fattening effect rather than the lengthening and slimming effect that one should get from properly-fitted leg harness.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Wearing a sword belt with a Cuirass+Tassets...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic