Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reunited with old friends: swords by Al Massey, Glen Parrell Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reunited with old friends: swords by Al Massey, Glen Parrell         Reply with quote

After languishing in England for the past eight months, my two favourite swords finally caught up with me. They were shipped off a couple of weeks ago to my new residence in Canada, and I couldn't be happier to see them again, safe and sound. Doubtless they're glad to be back on these shores too, since both were forged by Canadian smiths. They're a well travelled pair, but - thankfully - remain none the worse for their journeying.

The sword below is one of Al Massey's famous leaves. It's just indescribable in the hand, and if I could keep only one sword from my current collection, this would be it. I've never held a weapon with so much personality.

Weight: 2lbs 4oz
Overall length: 37.5"
Blade: 28"
Grip: 8"
POB (from guard): 3.25"

As enamoured of the leafblade as I am, this pattern-welded Viking themed short sword by Glen Parrell is just as special to me. It was the first custom sword I ever commissioned, and I couldn't have been more pleased with the results. Its prettiness in pictures belies no small degree of ruggedness when encountered in person - it's a real scrapper; and I love the oily, almost fungal pattern Glen brought out in the blade. I was glad to recently find it pictured in the myArmoury 'Compare' tool lineup; and now it's also my avatar.

Weight: 1lb 12oz
Overall length: 28"
Blade: 22"
Grip: 4"
POB (from guard): 1"

Just wanted to share my relief at having these two back in hand!
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen was the first custom smith I ever heard about and REALLY wanted something like that shorty...he had a video on his website holding it I believe? its a shame with recent events that I wouldnt order from him but he is no less a brilliant smith!
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey James... I'm pleased to see you got your swords back to hand. I always miss mine whenever I'm away from them for long. Happy
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What's the latest word on Glen P ? Anyone heard from him? It's like he dropped off the face of the earth........hmmmm. mcm.
James A. Vargscarr

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert - exactly right; the video is still up there. VikingMetalWorks.com is certainly one of the better bladesmith's websites on the web; it's a fine showcase for a large portion of Glen's work.

As for the latest word on Glen, he just finished a beautiful pattern welded leafblade for Scott Byler, and I imagine that he's currently working through his backlog of orders. I haven't contacted Glen since receiving the rapier he made me a few years ago; but I would love to commission work from him again someday.

Scott - I've never been without my swords for such an extended period before. This will sound painfully corny, but I learned quite a bit about my relationship with them through the experience - I've never found myself so emotionally attached to a material possession before, and was frankly surprised by how much I missed their presence these past months...Unpacking them a few days ago felt eerily like receiving totally new pieces. It almost made their absence worthwhile. Almost. Wink
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got my sword, haven't heard a thing from him since. I'm going to have to get ahold of him somehow and discuss the idea of focus with him... lol As in I still owe him a painting and money and I keep asking him with no answer if his old address is where he wants the stuff or what... I do hope that he is still working away and will get himself out from under the 'cloud' that has descended on him. The guy makes a fine blade and it would be a shame if he disappeared as a reliable source to get custom work done. Time will tell, I guess...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reunited with old friends: swords by Al Massey, Glen Parrell
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic