Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Windlass battlecry line. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Are windlass battlecry blades worth the money?
Yes
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No
93%
 93%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 15

Harry Kern

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Windlass battlecry line.         Reply with quote

I know windlass blades tend to have a reputation for being too "whippy" , can anyone tell me if their battlecry line also suffers from this shortcoming? If anyone has handled any of them what did you like or dislike about them. Thinking of getting one but I'm weary of their reputation. Wonder if I'd be better off putting that money towards a higher priced more reputable manufacturer.
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At that price point the Hanwei Tinker Viking and Norman are better swords.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have not touched one of them so they may be just fine. I just find the aesthetic very unappealing!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

None of my Windlass blades are floppy in the least. AFAIK that particular problem is only actually present on certain large models with insufficient distal taper, which makes their points too thick and heavy for their too thin and light bases to support, which leads to them flopping about in a very unswordlike manner.

Personally, I don't particularly like the black finish or most of the designs in the Battlecry line, but I seriously doubt being too whippy would be a problem with any of them.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Have not touched one of them so they may be just fine. I just find the aesthetic very unappealing!

Seriously. Looks like they're trying to undercut Zombie Tools' market share.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Terry Thompson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Mikko is correct, in that the "whippy-ness" of Windlass blades was relegated to some old models that haven't been manufactured that way for about a decade. Unless you are buying an old model second hand, the "whippy" flexing is something they seem to have conquered a while back with better profiling and heat treating.

The Sword Buyers Guide forums actually have an article on the Battle Cry line from MRL and I think they kind of gloss over the whole aesthetics that Windlass is going for.

But for the positives to consider;
1) The 'petina' of the line is a sort of 'blackening' that should help prevent rust when handling. In the past when people wanted "maintenance free" swords, I would usually suggest that they look into a stainless model (if they just wanted something to hang on the wall and look medieval.)
2) These are cutters! They come sharpened. You don't have to pay an additional fee on top of the base price like the standard models of Windlass's catalog. (this can also be a negative, as if you don't really want a sharp)
3) I can see how the mottled look could appeal to more of the fantasy/D&D/Wall-hanger/Con/RenFest crowd. From a short distance it has the fantasy look of an old beat-up weapon wielded in battles raging in eons gone by. The hilt furniture looks like it was cast and unfinished, but also passing for "something the town blacksmith pounded out" still blackened from the forge. In my youth, I would have liked this much more than the pristine polished blades of A&A or Albion, with their finely executed hardware.

Now for the negatives:
1) Price. Even if you consider you are saving a $20 sharpening fee, at the introductory price of $245, you're still paying what Windlass charges for many of their standard models that have been polished WITH the sharpening added on.
For instance: Classic Medieval Sword ($243 w/sharpening), Ulfbert Sword ($228 sharp), German Bast. Sword ($233 sharp)
2) They all appear to have scabbards. I'm not one that particularly cares for windlass scabbards. To be fair, the Windlass scabbards are considerably better than having nothing on a sharpened bare blade. Though they seem even more rudimentary of an affair then the standard models offered by Windlass. The chapes (tips) are squared and blocky. Even less attempt was made at shaping them to the shape of the leather than usual.
3) The hardware looks ROUGH. As much as my teen self would have gotten a big chubby over the rough-hand-hammered appearance of the hardware, my modern self just can't get over Windlass's failure at even attempting a fineness of detail. Especially in this line where it looks like they have left out several costly finishing procedures to provide symmetry and polish, and gone directly to the mottled "paint" appearance of the entire piece.
4) They don't appear to have any direct corollary to historical pieces. Once again, this was a positive I mentioned for those who are into the fantasy aspect. But if I were going full-on fantasy weapon, I would prefer to put it towards something in the Conan line, or kit rae that Windlass also already offers.

I think it all really boils down to whether or not you like them and if they fit your budget. Myself...I'd rather save up double the amount and pick-up a gently used A&A or Albion that someone is letting go at a discount. And have something that someone WOULD have used 500+ years ago, and not own a SLO "sword-like-object". I feel like there are already enough of those out there that you can spray some mottled paint or dab gun-bluing on.
-Terry
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Mike Ruhala........The Hanwei-Tinker Viking and Norman are great swords at that price range . I once owned an H-T Norman and it was built to take most anything. Peened tangs, light, and damn sharp. No 'whippy' about it. ...that I could tell, anyway. Traded it for another sword.....now I miss it like a lost puppy. Sad .............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Windlass blades, IMO, are often over built, not whippy.

The HT's are indeed one of the best values out there. I have two: the Early Medieval and the Norman, both with custom Crusader Monk grip wraps. Nice.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Windlass battlecry line.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic