Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Baselard, 14th C. from DHM Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Baselard, 14th C. from DHM         Reply with quote

This baselard has a very interesting story - a proof that life really could be stranger than the fiction.

Many years ago, while studying at the High School, I had a class-mate who was one of my best friends then - we shared common interests, read similar books, liked similar music and spent much of our free time together. After graduating our ways dramatically departured - we chose different careers, studied in different universities, lived in different cities and only some occasional meetings and phone-calls remained.
And surprisingly, several years ago, I met my friend on an re-enactment event - after so many years we still shared similar interests, even in our hobbies.

Well, he approached me with a request for a dagger for his kit, his choice was the baselard as type. Giving me full freedom, all the rest was up to me.
So, my choice was an example on display at Deutsche Historische Museum (German Historical Museum), Berlin, Germany (inventory # W922) - the dagger in the upper portion of the picture.

The blade was ground; to be honest I had some troubles with its variable cross-section - flat hexagonal of the first two-thirds, diamond near the point. The tang was riveted, using separate peen-block.

It's difficult to make a good replica, working only on one picture and some basic dimensions, but I tried to stay on the image I have as close as possible - this was the main issue particularly while making the guard and pommel. The grip is fictional and is made by walnut.

As the piece of wood was very old, it revealed some interesting internal damages - wood-worm tunnels, minor cavities and cracks. Some of them were repaired with tiny pieces from the same wooden block (for example - the rectangular section near the pommel on the darker, almost black strip)

while others (mainly minor tunnels) were left as they were. This gave me interesting, almost realistic appearance of used and time-worn weapon. This appearance is re-enforced by some intentionally left minor flaws on the blade and hilt.

Some stats:
Overall length - 350 mm
Blade length - 221 mm
Width at the guard - 38 mm
Thickness at the guard - 4.8 mm
Balance point - just infront of the guard
Mass - unknown yet
Blade - ground from 65G steel (similar in both content and performance to the US-standard 1566 steel); hardness - about 58-59 HRC.

Something else that was particularly inetersting for me, was the scabbard - this is my first one, made from laminated leather. My initial intent was to contact Leo Todeshini for some advise, later I decided to make it by my own - just to check my thoughts and ideas. The result was good (for the first-timer, of course); finally the scabbard and grip were oiled and waxed.

For some more pictures not included here, check Historical and Historically-inspired Knives & Daggers album on my FB page.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice baselard! I think the blade came out great, I love the hex to diamond cross section. You nailed it!
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great work Boris,

That is a really good looking piece, you should be very pleased with that and as Tim says, you nailed it.

Maybe some aspects were difficult, but it doesn't show here - looks really good.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice piece of work!

I'm a big fan of little imperfections like you note in the grip. While this is just my opinion, since I would expect that most of the weapons of the era weren't for courtly wear, they almost certainly showed little imperfections in the materials and finish, as well as variances from one to another, even when made by the same experienced craftsman. Then there are the ravages of use and age. All these things give character and make a weapon unique and personal. My personal favorite weapons in my own collection are not production pieces, but are one-off and custom items made by the same craftsman and reflect the confluence of his and my aesthetics, complete with their little imperfections and quirks.

I've enjoyed seeing your work, first as a skilled "do-it-yourselfer", and now as a dedicated professional. You have a great eye and skilled hands. Looking forward to seeing what you bring forth in the future!
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's always a pleasure to see your work Boris.
https://www.facebook.com/TimHarrisSwords
Boris Bedrosov
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys, thanks for the positive feedbacks so far!

# Tod
A specific question about the scabbard arose - I'll start a separate thread in Industry Pro forum

# Victor
You got it - that's the magic of the custom weapons. As you said - they are "unique and personal".
And just wait for a while - soon (maybe next week) I'll start another - most probably as a "Work-in-Progress" thread, about a very interesting commission dagger.

"Everyone who has the right to wear a long sword, has to remember that his sword is his soul,
and he has to separate from it when he separates from his life"
Tokugawa Ieyasu

Find my works on Facebook:
Boris Bedrosov's Armoury

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Baselard, 14th C. from DHM
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic