Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > the khanda anbd tulwar, weight and handling help? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William P

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: the khanda anbd tulwar, weight and handling help?         Reply with quote

ok, simple question tat seems impossible to answer is, regarding the weights of the indian khanda, and it;s curved cousin the tulwar, both are very clearly cur oriented especially the khanda with its flared tip and almost nonexistant thrusting capability... but it seems noone lists the appropriate vitalstatistics on them, antiques sales websites note the blade length but thats about it.. some not even that, the only khanda ive seen in use was the seemingly monstrous one used in the rajput episode of deadliest warrior but i get the feeling khanda wernt that slow...

still, if anyone had some inhsight into their average weight and perhaps how they handle comp[ared to, say a highland baskethilt claymore or the 1796 light cavakry sword, or just other sword in general... it would be appreciated
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FWIW, here's a bit on khanda use from Sanatan Shastarvidiya.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the median tulwar weight is about 900g. Some are much lighter (600g and less), and some are much heavier (e.g., 1.2kg) without getting into made-for-show, sacrificial, etc. swords. On average, a little lighter (and shorter) than Persian shamshirs, but with more variation. Similar to the range of 19th century European sabres, not counting very long pallasches (for which one could look at long firangi as an Indian equivalent). If coming from 19th century European swords, only the hilt should be surprising, not the weight or handling.

I've only handled one antique khanda, and I didn't have my scales with me. Normal weight for a sword. A little blade heavy - the base of the blade is thin, so even though there's a good chunk of weight in the hilt, the blade itself doesn't help bring the POB back. The tip is thin, so the sword isn't outrageously tip-heavy. Just a bit. This was a sword with the south Indian hilt, rather than the basket hilt.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 04 Mar, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two khandas at 1.25kg and 1.3kg:
http://www.higgins-collection.org/artifacts/1513
http://www.higgins-collection.org/artifacts/1841.a

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 04 Mar, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two tulwars that I've got: one weighs 1040gram (spine thickness 7mm, single narrow fuller), and another 770gram (spine thickness 4mm, two wide fullers). The heavier one feels rock solid, and the light one very flexible and springy.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > the khanda anbd tulwar, weight and handling help?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic