Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Adding Tassets? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Adding Tassets?         Reply with quote

Is it possible to add tassets to this breastplate? The reason I ask is because this breastplate only has one fauld (not sure if that's the right way to term it). Thanks for any info about this.

Attachment: 28.04 KB
22.jpg

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, but if you're set up to make tassets, it might be easier to just add another couple of lames to the fauld. It's a pretty simple thing. See repro fauld below (I don't care for the shape of the lower lame--that should either be of uniform width or fatter in the middle than on the sides). I've made two faulds for children's breastplates, and found them to be pretty easy.

Attachment: 206.24 KB
breast2_518.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean:

Firstly, thanks so much for the info and great image - secondly, I should've noted up front that I was showing an off-the-shelf breastplate and was thinking of looking for ready-made tassets. I'm not an armorer, but think I could do some riveting Happy I will take your suggestions though and will see about adding lames/faulds too. Warm regards, Dean
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the one you posted is the same as this one, I'd say it's a bargain. It looks better in the KOA photos. My main concern would be size. Many cheap armours of this type are HUGE and too long. The waist doesn't look too low, but if it is, this construction allows you raise the waist by relocating the plackart. Note that the central rivet is a sliding rivet. Other photos at KOA show that it has a LONG slot for sliding. What we're seeing in the standing photos is probably the low end of that slot. If the high position isn't high enough, you could just drill a hole above the top of the slot and fix the plackart in place where you want it. If it fits properly at the natural waist you wouldn't need it to slide much anyway. It would also be possible to squeeze the waist in a bit just with your hands, though that can change the fit of the fauld and plastron if you're not careful. Shoulders can be adjusted that way as well.

This piece is actually pretty attractive to me as the basis of a display project. I'd take it apart, refinish, adjust the size, replace straps and buckles, maybe add lames to the fauld (though I vaguely recall that there were single-lame faulds--I'd have to check on that). It would even be possible to trim the arms and neck to fit me perfectly, then turn the new edges. Not difficult to do. That's getting into some heavy work, but the hardest part is creating the complex curve of the plastron and plackart. I'd figure I was paying somebody $100 for that, leaving the rest for me.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNSA9103

Attachment: 174.35 KB
breast.gif

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean:

That is the very one I'm considering. I'm only 5'5" (or so) so hoped the Medium one might be close to fitting me. Your assessment on the sliding rivets are reassuring. I was also considering "forming" the flared bottom in also. And as you say, the price tag is very tempting! Thanks again, Dean
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Mon 29 Feb, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I went ahead and picked up one of those breastplates from Kult of Athena. I cut off the end of the center sliding rivet which was quite long, and re-peened it tight to the highest (shortest) position. I also peened the two side rivets tighter too. It is now about 17" from the top of the shoulders to the bottom of the fauld. Very nice fitting. As the slot is pretty long, it could accommodate much taller folks - I'm only 5'5". I got the Medium one and it fit over an arming jacket and mail haubergeon very well. It has a very nice rounded shape to it - as you can see in the image below. The only thing, and it is a minor one, is that the buckles for the straps are kind of short - almost right at the edge of the breastplate.

Attachment: 140.44 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 100.52 KB
2.jpg

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 29 Feb, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i was looking at that again today and hoping you would check in here if you got one. i'm glad to know it works well. very tempting!
-Sean

Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Mon 29 Feb, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, it's quite a bargain, IMO. I may add additional faulds to it someday. But as is, it's still pretty nice.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

would you be able to supply these two important measures at some point?

Based on your 17" measure, I'm guessing it's about 12" across the waist and 8.25" across the chest. Is that about right?

Attachment: 114.24 KB
1_178 copy.jpg

-Sean

Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean, I'll get you the actual measurements when I get home from work tonight. Dean
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! I might have to sell some stuff, but I've been missing having some armour.
-Sean

Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean:

Here are the measurements - looks like the width at the chest/arms is about 10 and 3/4"; and about 12 and 3/4" at the pinch of the waist. The sliding slot is about 2" long. In the shortest position, the length (top of shoulders to bottom of lowest part of the fauld) is about 17 and 3/4" . Again, this is the Medium one, so there is the L and XL which are advertised as wider for the chest, but not sure if they also increase the length. Let me know if you need more info. Dean

Attachment: 117.02 KB
1.jpg

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's perfect, Dean! Many thanks for that data! Sounds like the medium could have been made for me. Big Grin
-Sean

Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's great; glad to be able to provide the info. BTW, I'll likely not add tassets, but additional lames might be in order Happy
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's how my project with this armour turned out: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=34529

Attachment: 201.05 KB
breastfront.gif

-Sean

Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic upgrades and mods, Sean! You have some impressive skills. In addition to the faulds, I like how you reversed the cross-straps. I find mine a bit short at the buckles.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i agree about the straps. i aggravated the length problem by lowering the plastron. try this--soak the straps as much as possible without removing them, and then stretch them as hard as you can and devise a way to suspend the harness from the straps while they dry. couple of nails in a ceiling beam or edge of a workbench? that should provide additional length.
-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Adding Tassets?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic