Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Best armourers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ísleifur Helgason

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Best armourers?         Reply with quote

Simple question, who makes the best armour reproductions out there?
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My vote goes for the following, based mostly on the fact that all of the individuals listed below have proven they can reproduce some of the finest styles of armour in the world to exacting historical standards. These are in no particular order:

Robert MacPherson

Jeff Hildebrandt

Jiří Klepač

Jeff Wasson

Peter Fuller

The Steel Legacy Workshop

There are a number of other excellent craftsmen and particular a whole crowd of talented fellows in England that specialize in 15th century plate. However, the list above is the one I can provide based on my own extensive browsing, communications, and the luxury of being able to view some fine reproductions in person. Cheers!

-Gregory
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's not a simple question at all. You can at least give us some idea of a time period or type of armor. A price point might help for a better recommendation. But honestly, in addition to those Gregory listed above, I can think of several others who might specialize in mail for example, or shields, or whatever.
Ísleifur Helgason

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
That's not a simple question at all. You can at least give us some idea of a time period or type of armor. A price point might help for a better recommendation. But honestly, in addition to those Gregory listed above, I can think of several others who might specialize in mail for example, or shields, or whatever.

Ok,

1: Best mail armourers.

2. Best 14'th century plate armourers.

I said the best you can think of, so price is irrelivent.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't afford this armor, but I admire the works of

Erik D Schmid, Maille http://www.erikds.com/

Gotscha Lagidse, everything: http://www.gotscha.nl/uk-armour.htm

Albert Collins, Via Armorari plate, etc, http://viaarmorari.com/en/my-categories/museum/

Jeffrey Hildebrandt http://www.royaloakarmoury.com/ I have a helmet now and a few more in queue. His work is phenomenal.

I admire Robert MacPherson and Jiri Klepac as well. They can do many things also.

Some other armourers out there I would go for different times or pieces, like migration era or whatever. Honestly I am not knowledgable for plate armor.

Really there are a lot of fine armourers out there, these are just some I know have done very high quality work for museums, as well as collectors. But I would not necessarily go to all of them for my own kit or collecting. A big part of this is access to original pieces.

Good luck!
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Gotscha Lagidse, everything: http://www.gotscha.nl/uk-armour.htm

I have seen many armourers work in person and would personally love to see some pieces by Royal Oak as I admire what he does immensely, however I did see some work by Gotscha around 4 years ago and I was floored by it.

It was in a league I didn't even know existed; I was simply not aware that anyones work in any field could get that good. I am less qualified to actually comment about the accuracy of his work, or the fit, but the quality I can vouch for.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

of course if you can get yourself something by Mr William Radford, the armourers armourer!.

I'm just happy to have items by Master M/Emrys |:-) and Per Lillelund Jensen of course.

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would happily add Gotscha Lagidse and also Grzegorz Kulig of Thorkil to my initial list! As far as mail is concerned, Erik D Schmid has already been mentioned and is probably the best at what he does today. I only wish his whereabouts and the general state of his crafting business were more well-known... Cheers!

-Gregory
Ísleifur Helgason

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
I would happily add Gotscha Lagidse and also Grzegorz Kulig of Thorkil to my initial list! As far as mail is concerned, Erik D Schmid has already been mentioned and is probably the best at what he does today. I only wish his whereabouts and the general state of his crafting business were more well-known... Cheers!

-Gregory

Where can i see Erik's prices and catalogue? His website doesen't show anything
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 28 Feb, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark:
Quote:
of course if you can get yourself something by Mr William Radford, the armourers armourer!.

I'm just happy to have items by Master M/Emrys |:-) and Per Lillelund Jensen of course.

Thanks Mark. You know what it's about for sure.

Gregory:
Quote:
...also Grzegorz Kulig of Thorkil to my initial list!
Yes Thorkil, beautiful work he has, but I don't know his time period fits the needs of the poster.

Tod:
Quote:
however I did see some work by Gotscha around 4 years ago and I was floored by it.

It was in a league I didn't even know existed; I was simply not aware that anyones work in any field could get that good. I am less qualified to actually comment about the accuracy of his work, or the fit, but the quality I can vouch for.

I would love to have that experience; I am sure you know a bit about quality!

Quote:
Where can i see Erik's prices and catalogue? His website doesen't show anything
His website has changed, looks still on construction. But just contact him directly and see if your project interests him and how long his wait time is and what the cost would be.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Mon 29 Feb, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Must put in a shout for Josh Davis at http://davisreproductions.com/ who is doing great work. I've seen several harnesses up close (and coming towards me with intent.... ) and its well worth a look.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Mon 29 Feb, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jolly Knight Armory in the Ukraine
He has a great eye for classic shapes

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Best armourers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic