Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Plate that dosen't require the clothes of the time? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ronald M

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Plate that dosen't require the clothes of the time?         Reply with quote

what I'm looking for is basically the lazy man's armor
I want something like plate armor (ex gothic) but i don't really want to pay a bunch to get period clothing

or if somone wants to explain how it all works...

smiley face 123? no? lol yeah well im here cause i like...swords and weapons and stuff obv
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Plate that dosen't require the clothes of the time?         Reply with quote

Ronald M wrote:
what I'm looking for is basically the lazy man's armor
I want something like plate armor (ex gothic) but i don't really want to pay a bunch to get period clothing

or if somone wants to explain how it all works...

If you want to partake in some sort of movie or television series I suggest you have a look at plot armor.

But in all seriousness why would you want armor without period clothing when the former takes more effort to put on than the latter. A lazy man would go into battle wearing what he wore when he woke up wouldn't he?
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about armour that's shaped like clothing? Razz

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What about something like Almain rivet, or 16th century munition armor? You should be able to strap that on over most anything.

Greek and Roman armor would work, too--muscled cuirasses and lorica segmentata. Heck, plenty of artwork shows Greeks in armor with no clothing at all! Helmet, greaves, cuirass and a big smile.

I'm sure there is plenty of SCA armor made to be strapped on over non-period clothing. It's not likely to be the most historical stuff, but some of it looks all right. (Depending on your point of view!)

Matthew
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The majority of plate should not require special clothing underneath. Cloth is soft, after all, and should squish up just fine as the plate is strapped on over it. You might not be able to move as well as you would in period garb, but it would be fine for walking around, possible chafing aside. There might be issues with particularly tight fitting pieces of armour-- I'm thinking greaves and vambraces in particular-- but apart from that you would be fine. I wouldn't want to walk around in a Gothic harness wearing jeans under those skinny legs, though. Major chafe-city right there.

The exception to this would be plate that requires pointing or other methods of attaching to a under-garment. In those cases, you do require 'period garb'-- a gambeson, jupon, or pourpoint-- with the necessary pointing for lacing the armour plates on. This could be circumvented though by creating some sort of leather harness with the points attached to it. It wouldn't work as well as a proper garment, but you could still shamble about in jeans and a T-shirt under the armour if you were so inclined.
Ronald M

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks guys i was just under the impression that the period clothing was also prettu annoying to put on

don't know where i read that but based on what you guys have said it dosent sound too bad

smiley face 123? no? lol yeah well im here cause i like...swords and weapons and stuff obv
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ronald M wrote:
thanks guys i was just under the impression that the period clothing was also prettu annoying to put on

don't know where i read that but based on what you guys have said it dosent sound too bad

It's no more annoying than what the average woman deals with every day. Look at it that way. Razz If they can do it, so can you.
Ronald M

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Ronald M wrote:

It's no more annoying than what the average woman deals with every day. Look at it that way. Razz If they can do it, so can you.

no way it can't be that bad
I've see my ex-girlfriend in the morning.

Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ronald M wrote:

If you are really looking at Gothic armor and armor from that time period (1460-1500) then it's just your standard underwear, undershirt, pants and a doublet/arming garment to which the pants are attached.

Pants = Trousers in American English isn't it?
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An example of "modern clothing" being worn with working armor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdC-WBAjPkk

...I would recommend wearing gloves with your gauntlets, however.
Ronald M

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:

Pants = Trousers in American English isn't it?

we use the word pants in canada not sure bout big ol murica

Ronald M

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyways thanks guys this has been really helpful
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
An example of "modern clothing" being worn with working armor:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdC-WBAjPkk
[/url]

That man is wearing thick hose and soft shoes! Neither of which is commonly worn by present day male residents of the U.S. of A. Wink

jamesarlen.com
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Feb, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depending on the definition of "plate," transitional forms like the reinforced surcoat or the pair of plates/coat of plates could be easily worn over modern clothing too. Mind that _any_ form of plate armour would probably require pretty substantial clothing underneath -- even if it doesn't require historical undergarments, it's probably not going to be very comfortable with nothing more than a T-shirt underneath. A denim or leather jacket would probably be the bare minimum.

(For comparison, note that modern ballistic plate carriers are made of multiple layers of cloth. They're the arming garment if we treat the rigid inserts as the equivalent of medieval or Renaissance armour plates.)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Plate that dosen't require the clothes of the time?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic