Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Lockwood Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Lockwood Swords         Reply with quote

A new brand of swords (and scabbards) has surfaced over at Kult of Athena - http://kultofathena.com/s_results.asp?search=...mit=Search -

Lockwood Swords - looking at the specifications, these models seem promising. What do you think? Does anyone have some experience with them?
Olivier de Rancourt

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After a quick overview of their website, I see strong similarities with Valiant Armoury's products (shape, guard, stats, etc.). They somehow use 5160 steel instead of 1060 (VA). Their prices are homever much more expensives. On their website, the are selling scabbards alone, once again extremely similar to those sold by VA, for 500$. For such price at Valiant Amoury, not only you get the scabbard but also the sword that comes with it...

Exemple:

In this case, Valiant Armoury sword & scabbard : 567$.

Lockwood Sword : 750$ scabbard: 500$ Total: 1250$
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These Lockwood swords look really nice: http://www.lockwood-swords.com/index.php?rout...mp;path=33

So do the Valiant Armory Special Edition Swords: http://www.valiant-armoury.com/index.php?rout...mp;path=62

In fact:
The workmanship looks very similar.
The web-sites look very similar.
The long list of available grip colors is identical.

The Valiant special edition swords look much better than the usual outsourced Valiant blades, and the stats look really good. They look like an amazing deal including the nice scabbard.

Could all of these swords have been made by the same person? Not quite sure what is going on there, but I have a feeling that now is the time to buy those special edition swords. Wish I hadn't already committed all my hobby funds for this year.

Edit: I suspect that Sonny has found a new partner and that they are making a foray into the higher end of the business.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you dig a bit you'll find several places stating that Mr. Lockwood is Sonny's part time assistant and long time friend, so some level of similarity should not be surprising. His Facebook indicates he's been at it since 2013 and notes work he has done work for Sonny.

An about Valiant Armoury page notes an affiliation as well:

http://www.valiant-armoury.com/index.php?rout...ation_id=4

So maybe a high and mid stratification. Maybe something else. But the passing similarities seem obviously well rooted. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
J.L.A. Sereno

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From Facebook:

KOA Welcomes Lockwood Swords and a new Custom Scabbard Service! Also we are now taking deposits for Albion Armorers and Lockwood Swords.

We are pleased to announce that KOA can now offer customized swords and scabbards crafted by Stephan Lockwood - a Texan swordsmith who produces fine, high-end work.

His line of swords are individually crafted by stock-removing 5160 steel to shape and finishing the blade with a tempered treatment that gives it a hardness of 52-53 HRC. Hilt fittings are cast steel from his own waxes and the elaborate poplar wood grips are bound in cord and fitted with a tight layer of dyed leather.

From our website you can order (or put a deposit down) on one of these swords to be crafted for you with your choice of color for the dyed leather grip.

Mr. Lockwood also makes quality wood-core scabbards with sword belts - not only for his own swords, but he has also agreed to make custom scabbards to fit swords from other manufacturers.

If you buy a sword from us you can opt to have us work with Mr. Lockwood to have a customized scabbard built for that sword. He will make scabbards to fit swords made by other manufacturers and it is a good way to get a high-end scabbard for typically scabbard-less swords such as those offered by Arms & Armor, Del Tin or Albion Armorers.

Also - we are now able to take deposits for swords that are made to order by Lockwood Swords and Albion Armorers. You will see those details on the pages for those items

We will from time to time have some examples of Mr. Lockwood’s swords as ‘’ready to buy’’ and in stock on our site.

Lockwood Swords Products:
http://www.kultofathena.com/lockwoodswords.asp

Omnia in bonum
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So it seems he was (or is) working with Valiant but now he's marketing his own brand.

Well, if he's successful, and if he made those Valiant special edition swords, this might be a last chance to get some of his work at a bargain price.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's encouraging that the models that show blade thickness measurements start out at 6 mm or more and show extensive distal taper at the sword tip. (I wish that KOA would give at least one more thickness measurement at, say halfway down) If one starts out that thick, more creativity with blade geometry is possible.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They do look very good, and very reminiscent of Valiant Armory in many respects, especially the leatherwork.

The one thing that bothers me is that the fullers seem a bit... simplistic, I think, on many of these - uniform width, abrupt end and overall a very machined look to them.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Richard Miller

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I can see, Mr.Lockwood and Sonny Suttles have been, and possibly still are working together, but perhaps not in this venture. I also noticed a strong similarity in both the web site and the products, and I believe that both shops are located near one another. I also noticed that Lockwood photographs his swords before they're peened, exactly like Sonny does.

I thought that it was a bit odd that a line of swords this strong and savvy to the market hadn't shown up in any of my searches. All of a sudden a new line of swords appears from out of nowhere!

It's still nice to have more options in the market and whether one likes Sonny's line or not, he's always been a very honest man and super easy to work with.
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but it looks to me as if Lockwood Swords are at a somewhat higher price point that Valiant Armoury's offerings. Their competition may be more along the lines of Albion than Valiant, so besides sharing some sort of current or past business relationship, they may not be directly competing against each other.

Does anyone know if the blades are hand forged? I didn't detect any hammerings or other indicators of hand forging and hammering but maybe the pictures weren't good enough. I only wish he'd offer a Type XVII.

Bob
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bet we could ask the guy making the stuff. I've not tried contacting him because he's a bit over my current value point - but he seems to be active enough on Facebook. Maybe somebody ought to tip him to this thread if he's not already found it. Cool
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Miller wrote:

I thought that it was a bit odd that a line of swords this strong and savvy to the market hadn't shown up in any of my searches. All of a sudden a new line of swords appears from out of nowhere!

My guess is that Lockwood has been working on building up a quantity to retail via KoA and only just now released them. One imagines he took some time working on developing his skills before plunging into the market like this; perhaps there are some people out there with his early work.
J.L.A. Sereno

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Morgan wrote:
I may be wrong, but it looks to me as if Lockwood Swords are at a somewhat higher price point that Valiant Armoury's offerings. Their competition may be more along the lines of Albion than Valiant, so besides sharing some sort of current or past business relationship, they may not be directly competing against each other.

Does anyone know if the blades are hand forged? I didn't detect any hammerings or other indicators of hand forging and hammering but maybe the pictures weren't good enough. I only wish he'd offer a Type XVII.

Bob

I read on Facebook that he does stock removal.

Omnia in bonum
Alan D Meeds

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Lockwood swords         Reply with quote

Originally Steven did work for Sonny Suttles as has been stated. But he in fact posted his own Facebook page and website for his Swords. Approximately 2 years ago as I have been watching his progress for that time period. Many of his products do bare a strong resemblance. But with him making his own Blades through stock removal and using his own fitting.I think he is aiming at a slightly higher market niche. I had been planning a purchase from him for some time but sadly im in the process of disability filing and no longer have the funds. But I believe the market can keep another quality maker in business.
Big Al.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to KOA website these are peened to the pommel. As I recall, the Valiant Armory swords are mechanically closed. I'd say Mr. Lockwood is looking to produce his products more at the Albion level.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Valiant does mechanical assembly or peened. Regardless nice to see some new-er-ish options! :-)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Lockwood Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic