Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seems like there have been some good discoveries of late! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Scottish Bronze age weapons found.         Reply with quote

Some nice bronze age items recovered from an area that was probably a freshwater loch.

Broken Swords and Spears
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Battlefield of Kessel has been discovered.

In 55 BC. Caesar attacked two German tribes (Usipetes and the Tencteri) and subsequently 'genocided' them. Among the finds were swords, spearheads and a helmet. No pictures have been realized so far.

http://www.vu.nl/nl/nieuws-agenda/nieuws/2015...gebied.asp
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Lost Alexandria Sword found         Reply with quote

This is very cool

Lost Alexandria Sword found.
Niels Just Rasmussen

Spotlight topics: 15

PostPosted: Fri 18 Dec, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lost Alexandria Sword found         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
This is very cool

Lost Alexandria Sword found.

Great find!
Thanks for the link, Craig.
Added it to my Alexandria Arsenal thread.
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=320...mp;start=0
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roman sword found in North America???

Looks like a pretty weird "Roman" sword to me, what do you guys think?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Roman sword found in North America???

Looks like a pretty weird "Roman" sword to me, what do you guys think?

This is garbage - a hoax. You can buy the sword at Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Design-Toscano-Glad...e/22130342
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ugh. Sorry to sully a great thread with such a terrible link. I have been seeing this a lot in my FB thread. Guess it thinks I like swords or something. Laughing Out Loud

Anyhow, I thought there might be an outside chance it was some 19th century thing, but wow, I had no idea it was at Walmart.
Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those interested and able to read Danish.

Top 10 Danish archaeological finds from 2015.
Source: http://www.kulturstyrelsen.dk/kulturarv/forti...fund-2015/

Resume:
1) Late Neolithic long house from Vinge: 45,5 m long! [~2000 BC]
2) Earliest found Danish vine grapes from the Viking Age at the Tissø complex.
Had Tissø its own wine production as the climate was quite warm back then?!
3) Lead amulet from the middle ages (1250-1350) calling on the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit and all the Saints to protect God's servant Margareta against elf-men (!) elf-women (!) and demons from harming her eyes and other limbs.
4) Coastal dwelling at Orehoved, that was suddenly flooded by increasing sea level ~6000 BC. Means that tons of daily objects were hastily abandoned, like a half-finished drilling through a big lump of amber (see picture).
5) Perfect Frankish wine jar found in Ribe from 700's AD. [picture of it in situ]
6) Chapel of King Svend III Grathe [he was killed in the battle of Grathe Hede in 1157].
7) Viking silver treasure put down in the ground 950-1000 AD at Lille Karleby.
Besides the objects shown in the pictures it also contained a jewelry set comprised of 300 pieces of glass beads, amber, quartz and silver; 53 brooches of bronze or silver and 18 coins (Islamic and Western).
8) Preserved fields close to Hirtshals covered by sand in around 1700 AD and thus hasn't been touched since. So preserved plow marks and ditches can be observed.
Use of the area for farming starts from the Iron age.
9) Complete Iron Age society found at Skødstrup from around the Birth of Christ. It includes a burial-ground, a sacrificial bog, a "row-village" with paved central road (!) and spread out farms. Many dog-sacrifices have taken place (se picture) in the bog, but a woman in her 20's were also found.
This is the most outstanding find this year and the area will continue to be researched.
10) Bronze Axes from Boest. I created a thread about them here
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=32061&highlight=
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Bronze Age thrusting blade         Reply with quote

First of, greatlist Neil thanks for sharing there are some wonderful things on that list.

Here is one I just came across and highlights one of my pet peeves about classifications of things. This is described as a bronze age "rapier" which I know is a hold over from the 19th C. experts assigning the concept to the bronze sword blades found but today I would argue that calling it a bronze thrusting sword or even dagger would be more enlightening then confusing it to the rapier term which carries the connotation of a complex hilt with it. I realize I am probably just being picky, but there is so much poor info in the big wide sword world, that I hate to contribute to confusion when terms like this get used, even if the academics of the past are the source.

Sword found in Lanarkshire
Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronze Age thrusting blade         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
First of, greatlist Neil thanks for sharing there are some wonderful things on that list.

Here is one I just came across and highlights one of my pet peeves about classifications of things. This is described as a bronze age "rapier" which I know is a hold over from the 19th C. experts assigning the concept to the bronze sword blades found but today I would argue that calling it a bronze thrusting sword or even dagger would be more enlightening then confusing it to the rapier term which carries the connotation of a complex hilt with it. I realize I am probably just being picky, but there is so much poor info in the big wide sword world, that I hate to contribute to confusion when terms like this get used, even if the academics of the past are the source.

You are welcome Happy
Also totally agree that this outdated "rapier" term for these bronze age weapons could cause confusion.
"Thrusting-" or "stabbing sword" is a much more accurate description of these weapons.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: 16th C Arsenal storage found         Reply with quote

According to the article a building was found to contain the storage of arsenal items from the 16th C connected with Ivan the Terrible

16th Century Russian Arsenal
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bronze Age thrusting blade         Reply with quote

Niels Just Rasmussen wrote:
Craig Johnson wrote:

You are welcome Happy
Also totally agree that this outdated "rapier" term for these bronze age weapons could cause confusion.
"Thrusting-" or "stabbing sword" is a much more accurate description of these weapons.

That's never going to happen. Bronze rapiers have been considered as rapiers for centuries now, and very clearly define a type of thrusting sword from the British isles, with a hilt plate and typically a two rivet attachment that was used from the middle to late bronze age. Stopping to call them rapiers, would only cause confusion, as you wouldn't know what type of bronze age thrusting sword you'd be talking about, of which there are many different types. It's hard to confuse them with later steel rapiers of the 16th, 17th centuries, which are clearly not bronze rapiers. It doesn't concern the odd blade here and there, there are thousands of them. And that's excluding all of the other types of bronze age thrusting swords.

P.s. attached the definition of bronze age weapons from the British isles: dagger, dirk, rapier. The rapier in this case is the most extreme rapier from Lissane.

Attachment: 70.25 KB
dagger_dirk_rapier.png

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a short report on a great pristine Viking site found in Ireland - http://www.irishcentral.com/news/major-viking...16911.html
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Incredible find on Swedish Island         Reply with quote

Have seen a few reports on this and was just waiting till something popped up with pics this is an exceptional story and very interesting how the circumstances of this event have survived for us to study today.

Öland, Sweden 480 A.D. - A hastily built refuge—a grisly massacre—a turbulent period in European history
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Incredible find on Swedish Island         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Have seen a few reports on this and was just waiting till something popped up with pics this is an exceptional story and very interesting how the circumstances of this event have survived for us to study today.

Öland, Sweden 480 A.D. - A hastily built refuge—a grisly massacre—a turbulent period in European history

A very nicely written, thorough article and a very interesting case. It fires the imagination to think what these people could have done to incur such wrath from their neighbors.
Niels Just Rasmussen

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Incredible find on Swedish Island         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Craig Johnson wrote:

A very nicely written, thorough article and a very interesting case. It fires the imagination to think what these people could have done to incur such wrath from their neighbors.

What the article shows is quite interesting in that the livestock was not stolen. So this is not the result of a raid, but much more likely blood-revenge between clans on Öland fighting for resources or plain honour.
Blood revenge was a honour-duty, so whether you liked or hated the people was fairly irrelevant [even if you loved them you still had to kill them].
It was also quite common to leave your enemies on the ground to be eaten by crows, eagle or wolves. In later viking poetry combat is in itself called "feeding the eagles/ravens". The battlefield afterwards filled with the slain was the Vál - > Valkyrja (Valkyrie) is the "Choosers of the Vál" meaning choosers of the slain after the battle.
So it is perfectly normal that those of the enemy killed were not buried, but left to the animals of Odin; meaning that the inhabitants of the fortified village were the losers or they would have tossed them out of the village and continued to live there.

Fear of "rewalkers" (= Aptrganga, also called Draugar) probably kept others away from the place, so it wasn't resettled.
"Rewalkers" are physical bodies (not incorporeal ghosts), where the "hugr" (mind) didn't find it's way to Hel (which could happen if the proper burial rituals weren't conducted) and thus returned to the physical body animating it.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An undisturbed Early Bronze Age Grave site has been found in Lancashire in the UK - Morecambe Bay

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/mar/13/bronze-age-burial-site-undisturbed-millennia-metal-detectors
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another interesting find. Well actually identification of a find.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/satoja_vuosia_vanha_sot...ta/8742489

Quote:
300-year-old Dutch frigate Huis te Warmelo has been discovered in the Gulf of Finland near Helsinki. The ship sank in 1715 and it lies in an upright position at a depth of 64 meters. According to the discoverers, the ship is very well preserved, and its wooden hull is in shockingly good condition. For example, all of the ship's cannons are still standing on the deck.
The ship apparently belonged to the West Frisian Admiralty, and it was built in Medemblik.
A Dutch warship from this era has never before been found in such good condition.
The wreck was first detected years ago during seabed mapping by Finnish Maritime Administration, but its country of origin was unknown until last year when historian Peter Swart found an old Dutch sea chart that marked the location of the ship's sinking. This allowed to determine the ship's name and origin to a high degree of certainty.
Next summer, a Finnish dive team will dive to the ship for further studies and to completely ascertain the ship's name.

According to other sources all 115 hands perished with the ship so we might find some early 18th century naval armament too, perhaps the weapons familiar to your average Caribbean pirate during the golden age of piracy. Also quite surprising it sank 64 meters and ended on the bottom completely upright with the guns still standing on the deck.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Eek! That certainly has the potential to be seriously cool. I'm really surprised it has survived in that kind of condition for so long. If that picture is indication for the rest of the ship it looks like it just sank last year.
“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:
Wow! Eek! That certainly has the potential to be seriously cool. I'm really surprised it has survived in that kind of condition for so long. If that picture is indication for the rest of the ship it looks like it just sank last year.

The water of the Baltic sea is rather good for preserving wooden ships, low in salt and quite cold at those depths, they also pulled the Vasa from it's depths in rather good condition Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seems like there have been some good discoveries of late!
Page 7 of 21 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: