Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Wrong Lutel Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Cooper

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: The Wrong Lutel         Reply with quote

A long storey so I will have to do this in two parts. (Also posted on Sword Forum International)
In March of 2015 I decided I wanted to buy a modern made rapier. I had heard that Lutel were well regarded in this field. I was aware that there had been some sort of dispute in the company and that there were two websites offering similar products. One was still well regarded and one was not. I confidently placed an order for a Central European 17th century style rapier with a parrying dagger to suit. Also a French style leather hanger. A few days later after a failure in their ordering system I arranged payment by bank transfer. I then heard nothing for a week until I queried if the funds had arrived and received an affirmative reply. I then heard nothing and tried emailing to no avail. I checked the forums to confirm that I had ordered from the web site everybody said was still OK.

Old age? ,senility?, plain old fashioned stupidity? I had ordered from www.Lutel.EU not from http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/

I banged my head on the wall, the desk, several passing cars and resigned myself to the loss of a considerable chunk of money. No hope of retrieval. Then out of the blue in October an email from Petr at Lutel.EU to say the email system had been playing up and that my order would be completed and despatched by 16th November.

Joy...then no joy and no sword but an email at the end of November promising despatch by December 7th. Nothing received until I chased them again and got a reply saying it would be posted on the 11th and a tracking number would be forwarded to me. I received the tracking number on the 19th December after a problem with the parcel having had to be returned to Petr. Well something was obviously on its way and the tracking number showed some progress across Europe but then Christmas intervened and things seemed to get stuck again until the doorbell rang this morning 29th December 2015....

Attachment: 183.18 KB
phone_20151229_141011s.jpg

The journey not the destination
David Cooper

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: The Wrong Lutel part2         Reply with quote

So my order had arrived at last. Was it worth the wait?. Here are the stats:

Weight, sword:2lb 8oz (1.13kg), with scabbard: 2lb 13 oz (1.28kg)
Lengthoverall: 44.5'' (113cm) Blade:38.5''(98cm) to start of hilt rings, 40.5'' (103cm) to crossguard.
POB:3.5'' (9cm) from crossguard.
Profile taper: 0.71'' (18.2cm) at ricasso, 1.06'' (2.9mm) at start of hilt rings, 0.68''(17.4mm) at mid blade, 0.26'' (6.6mm) 2 inches from tip.
Distaltaper 0.31'' (8.mm) at ricassoand to the start of hilt rings, 0.16'' (4.1mm)at mid blade, 0.11''(3mm) 2 inches from tip.

The blade is a plain diamond section with good profile and distal taper. It appears flexible and well tempered.The website description states a grooved blade and this is not the case, the weights and dimensions are also slightly different. I have drawn this to Lutel.EU's attention.
The sword compares favourably to my Hanwei Gustav Rapier. The blade is slightly longer, wider at the forte and then tapers to a thinner point which may be a little too thin and looks a bit vulnerable. It is very slightly stiffer and balances nicely. The wooden grip is rather plain and a bit utilitarian. The whole piece seems solid and well made, the tang is peened through the pommel.. I ordered it sharp and while it is not like a re-enactment blade it is not like a razor either. Overall I am well satisfied with what I have received. I know that there are still two Lutel sites and I cannot say how their products actually compare. This sword is cheaper than the corresponding offering from http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/ but the slightly inaccurate description shows the two ranges moving apart. I have nothing to do with either Lutel site and have received no payment or inducement to write this review. All questions and comments welcome.
As can be seen I ordered the sword with a companion dagger and leather hanger which I may review at a future date.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails

Attachment: 325.69 KB
phone_20151229_142037s.jpg

Attachment: 114.25 KB
rap1s.jpg

Attachment: 342.31 KB
phone_20151229_142121s.jpg

Attachment: 479.45 KB
phone_20151229_142131s.jpg

The journey not the destination
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad something came...eventually.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Wrong Lutel
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic