Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Small Review: Hanwei Tinker Great Sword of WarProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Small Review: Hanwei Tinker Great Sword of War         Reply with quote

oh, I know, its been some time eh?

Stats:

Weight: 3 lbs 7 ounces
Overall Length: 47 inches
Grip: 9 and ¼ inches
Blade Length: 35 and 1/8inches from guard
Point of Balance: approx. 5 and 1/2 inches from guard
Center or Percussion: approx. 21 and 1/2 inches from guard
Distal Taper
Sorry fellas can’t find my calipers… but it does have a definite distal taper

Initial Impressions:
Well, it’s a big honkin sword, looks ‘Ford Tough’

Appearance:
I have always felt drawn to type XIIIa blades and felt they have a certain grace and beauty about their design/utility. The Hanwei Tinker Great Sword of War is big, its brutal, its not a pretty two-hander designed for deft fencing maneuvers. It’s a battlefield sword, and one look at it tells you its intended purpose; namely to take the same qualities of the era’s single hand cruciform swords and make them bigger, for more power and more reach. You simply need to look at this sword, and you can feel that it wants to shear through targets.

A closer inspection reveals a surprisingly thin blade profile, spread out over a wide surface area, perfectly designed to reduce surface area and improve cutting power. Yet the fuller is well defined and surprisingly deep. The cross guard is not overly big, and has a subtle almost octagonal design. The Pommel is a wheel shape, pretty much a Type K. One thing I do miss in this design is the lack of a rivet block over the tang, as that is a quality I like in other Type XIIIa offerings. The blade does have a fairly noticeable secondary bevel near the cross, and it does become less noticeable as it travels towards the tip. The finish of the blade is the typical Hanwei finish. I am not a huge fan of it many times, but its grown on me over the years. The grip is brown leather without any noticeable cord overwrap, but with a nice 3 tiered riser smack in the middle. It works, even if its not fancy. The scabbard is the same color leather, and is again the typical Hanwei offering. Its functional and holds the blade well, but it is pretty bland.

Overall, I am a big fan of the appearance, which is why I bought it. In person, its held up well to inspection for quality and I find it an extreme value as an excellent recreation of a type XIIIa.

Handling:
I can honestly say I have never handled a sword that is this heavy before. It’s a very big sword and it takes a good deal of strength to even hold it static. If I ever skip my lunch visit to the gym, all I will need to do is come home and get this sword out to make up the time away from weights. Its not that its poorly balanced or cumbersome, but its going to tire you out quickly. That being said, it’s a lot of fun to get working at speed. Its recovers well for its size and type, and it has a good presence when in motion. Any complaints you would have about its handling need be directed at its type and purpose, not at its manufacturing and design.

I have done some limited cutting with it, and I am pleased to say that it cuts better then the Tinker Viking blade I owned a while ago; Hanwei seems to have gotten a better idea of how to give it a proper factory edge for cutting light targets. One other note is that I was quite surprised with how much flex this sword has in its blade, I would have guessed it would be stiffer, but in fact there is a considerable amount of movement along either side of the COP when you smack the pommel. Its borderline whippy, but again, I don’t think this is a problem for its type.

What you should expect:
Because of a sale at kultofathena, I bought this sword for about $130 shipped in brand new condition. It’s a complete bargain, hell, an outright steal at that price. Its all going to come down to deciding if you want to have a sword of this type in your collection. Its not going to be an offering that attracts everyone. But it delivers what you expect, and is manufactured/designed well by Tinker/Hanwei. I could not be more pleased with my first sword purchase in just about 2 years.

Photos:

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
David Spencer

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Mike,
That thing is huge it looks normal, till you see the photo with the hand on the pommel and excellent price too.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This Sword is a Monster Eek!
I must own one!
Thanks for the review. I have always really liked the type XIII family, and it's good to hear the good things about this one.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, glad the impressions could help on purchase decisions!
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations! I also have one and I love it! I think it handles great for a sword that big! Long handle gives it great leverage.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 02 Oct, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is an excellent review. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and share it with us.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Friede

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: I have one now         Reply with quote

Mine is the brown leather hilt and scabbard. Must say, I love it! Having trained with bastard swords primarily, I really love the extra leverage from the grip. Snap cuts are quick and controlled. The edge could be a little more refined out of the box, but there is no secondary bevel I can see. Gorgeous piece and the best cutter I've used so far.
Johnny G

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice review
I've got the red leather handle and don't think I could like it less.

the blade would make a fine whip as a sword it's a sad joke but from several reviews I'm beginning to think that mine was just a freak as they generally get decent reviews. Though the flex of the blade is always brought up .

It's so flimsy that it bends over two inches under its own weight what held level with the ground.

Not trying to argue your review just tossing in my to cents.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Small Review: Hanwei Tinker Great Sword of War         Reply with quote

This huge sword may look blunt due to the blade's rounded tip but it's in fact sharp.
Even Kult of Athena has one.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
J. D. Woodliff

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd really like to see someone pair one of these Hanwei Tinker Great Sword blades with the Reislaufer hilt parts from the Printed Armory.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is next on my bucket-list. Just bought the H/T Bastard sword, and I'm loving it. Gotta have one of these too! Big Grin ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Small Review: Hanwei Tinker Great Sword of WarProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic