Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of later bastard sword hilts Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hand-and-a-Half Sword, South German, probably circa 1520 Passau

Wide, double-edged blade, the upper third of each side with a shallow fuller. Obverse side inlaid in copper Passau Wolf mark. S-shaped curved quillons with spirally-fluted knobs, large guard ring with roped decoration. Below the grip on the cross-guard at the reverse side is an engraved monogram "RF". Stepped grip with original leather, with ornamental marks having remnants of gilding. Spirally-grooved pear-shaped pommel.

Overall length: 44.9" (114 cm); Blade length: 36.14" (91.8 cm)

Copyright © Hermann Historica Auction House

A more detailed photo, alongside examples of other swords, can be found in our 16th century longswords photo album.

Attachment: 213.62 KB
Hand-and-a-half-sword,-Southern-Germany,-probably-around-1520.png
Hand-and-a-Half Sword, South German, probably circa 1520 Passau

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A German Bastard or Hand-and-a-Half Sword, last quarter of the 16th century

The ricasso and blade struck with a cross mark.

Overall length: 58.19" (147.8 cm); Blade length: 48.1" (122.2 cm)

Located at Reichsstadtmuseum Rothenburg, Germany

A more detailed photo, alongside examples of other swords, can be found in our 16th century longswords photo album.

Attachment: 154.6 KB
German-Bastard-or-Hand-and-a-Half-Sword,-last-quarter-of-the-16th-century.png
A German Bastard or Hand-and-a-Half Sword, last quarter of the 16th century

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Longsword, Germany or Switzerland, possibly 2nd quarter of 16th century

Blackened hilt. Fig-shaped pommel; shouldered grip of wood bound in cord and leather; horizontally re-curved quillons of circular section terminating in blunted fig-shaped knobs; knuckle-guard (which is secured by a fluted ring halfway up the grip; an unusual feature) and pierced; rosette-shaped shell-guards on either side; broad, double-edged blade of hexagonal cross-section with a ricasso and traces of a maker's mark (a fleur-de-lys) on either side.

Length: 39.29" (99.8 cm); Blade width: 1.969" (5 cm); Weight: 4.78 pounds (2.17 kg)

Wallace Collection A.482

Literature:
Mann, James G., Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms and Armour Volume II, London: The Wallace Collection 1962
Norman, A. V. B., Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms and Armour Supplement, London: The Trustees of the Wallace Collection, 1986

http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMus...detailView

Copyright © Trustees of the Wallace Collection

Attachment: 251.88 KB
Wallace-A482.png
Longsword, Germany or Switzerland, possibly 2nd quarter of 16th century

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Dec, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some may classify this as being more of a Langes Messer than a longsword and there's certainly some validity to this argument. Many would argue the hilt construction defines it squarely as a sword, but such distinction alone won't end the debate. The Wallace Collection calls this a longsword and so I chose to stick with that.

Longsword, German, circa 1525-1550

Blackened hilt; leather grip bound with leather, tapering larger towards flat diamond-shaped cap; cross-guard curves towards the blade, swelling at the ends; forward finger-guard on one side and side-ring on the other, the latter decorated with a slight roping ornamentation. Single-edged blade, slightly hollowed with shallow fuller; bearing a maker's mark incorporating the letter 'S'.

Overall length: 39.49" (100.3 cm); Grip length: 9.65" (24.5 cm); Blade width: 1.06" (2.7 cm); Weight: 2.56 pounds (1.16 kg)

Wallace Collection A.476

Literature:
Mann, James G., Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms and Armour Volume II, London: The Wallace Collection 1962
Norman, A. V. B., Wallace Collection Catalogues: European Arms and Armour Supplement, London: The Trustees of the Wallace Collection, 1986

Attachment: 169.08 KB
Wallace-A476.png
Longsword or Langes Messer, German, circa 1525-1550
Wallace Collection A.476

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Hand-and-a-Half Sword, Saxon, circa 1580

With broad double-edged blade of flattened oval section, inlaid with a latten orb and cross mark within the short fuller on one side of the forte, the ricasso with incised borders struck with three unidentified maker's marks on both sides. The blackened steel hilt comprising conical-shaped pommel, side-rings and counter-guards, with straight quillons having spatulate tips and button terminals and shagreen covered grip of tapering oval section covered with leather above the shoulder.

Measurements unknown.

Attachment: 177.4 KB
A-VERY-FINE-GERMAN-HAND-AND-A-HALF-SWORD,-SAXON,-circa-1580.png
A Hand-and-a-Half Sword, Saxon, circa 1580

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Three swords, left to right:

1. Hand-and-a-Half or Bastard Sword, Germany, second quarter the 16th century

Broad 44.5 inch blade with 9.5 inch fuller at the forte, the ricasso bearing the crossed flails maker's mark of Melchior Diefstetter, the reverse with the shield lozengy of Bavaria; fuller with line and dot border surmounted by a cross and stamped seven times with two small armorer's marks. Steel hilt comprising down-curving quillons with spirally fluted ball finials and outboard branch with reinforcing ring, the branch molded with five spirally fluted balls; inner defense composed of a saltire joined to the side bars, the lower side with projecting bar terminating in a spirally fluted ball; writhen pommel of compressed ovoid form, the center of each rib engraved with double lines. The 8 inch wooden grip molded with two rings at the center and single rings top and bottom and retaining perhaps 50-60% of the original black leather binding.

See No. A.534 in the Wallace Collection for a sword by Diefstetter with the same marks in the fullers.

Overall length: 55.12" (140 cm); Blade length: 44.5" (113 cm)

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22403/lot/5075/

2. A Hand-and-a-Half Sword, Southern Germany, third quarter of the 16th century

With broad double-edged blade with short fuller on each side of the forte struck with a series of marks within incised lines terminating in a crucifix, strong ricasso struck with the obscured crossed flails and shield of Bavaria marks of Melchior Diefstetter of Munich, iron guard comprising long straight spatulate quillons each with button terminal, and double oval side-rings each swelling at the center, all of flattened rectangular section, and arms of circular section, fig-shaped pommel, and flattened bottle-shaped leather-covered wooden grip

The marks on the fullers are similar to those on Wallace Collection No. A.534, and those on the ricasso to Wallace Collection Nos. A.480, A.481 and A.534

Overall length: 59"(150 cm); Blade length: 45.28" (115 cm)

Provenance:
Galerie Fischer, Luzern, Waffenauktion, 26-28 September 2002, lot 106

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22991/lot/164/

3. A Hand-and-a-Half or Bastard Sword, Munich, circa 1540-1580

Straight 42 inch blade of hexagonal section; 8 inch central fuller at the forte enclosed by a line and dot border surmounted by an anchored cross, the fuller inscribed sequentially IN MONACI and ME FECIT; strong ricasso bearing the crossed flails maker's mark of Melchior Diefstetter, the reverse with the shield lozengy of Bavaria. Steel hilt comprising long, spatulate quillons with ball finials and two ring outer defense, the bars of triangular section; inner defense of rounded bars comprising a saltire connected to the guard and side rings; pommel in the form of a truncated cone; quillons, outer rings and front of pommel decorated with panels of delicate scrollwork. Grip of oval section swelling at the center and wrapped in black leather.

For a very similar sword from the collection of the Comte de Nieuwerkerke, see item A.481 in the Wallace Collection. The blade markings on that sword, as well as A.480, are the same as those found on the present example. Another Diefstetter bastard sword, found in the Armeria Real in Madrid, has a pommel of the same truncated form. As Melchior Diefstetter worked in the Au district, southeast of Munich, the Latin phrase 'In Monaci (Manaci) Me Fecit' on the blade, which translates 'The Monks Made Me.' is perhaps a reference to the coat-of-arms of Au, which refers to the Lilienberg Monastery, situated there.

Overall length: 50.4" (128.1 cm); Blade length: 42" (106.7 cm)

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22403/lot/5070/

Copyright © Bonhams

Attachment: 117.13 KB
Three-16th-century-Longswords.png
Three 16th century longswords.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hand-and-a-Half Sword, German, circa 1510

Straight, double-edged blade with ricasso at base. Cross-guard with heavy écusson and spirally-cut finals. Older, leather grip with decorative. Fluted pommel probably not original to sword.

Overall length: 44.9" (114 cm); Blade length: 36.85" (93.6 cm)

Attachment: 208.73 KB
Hand-and-a-half-sword,-German-around-1510.png
Hand-and-a-Half Sword, German, circa 1510

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hand-and-a-Half Sword, Southern German, circa 1560

Double-edged blade of flattened hexagonal section. Fullers on both sides surrounded by narrow decorative incised lines. Maker's marks on both sides of the ricasso. Blackened hilt components with octagonal cross-guard bent at the ends. On the upper side, marked Arsenal number "IIA X". Obverse side has large guard ring, including iron guard plate. Thumb ring missing. Original Grip, the leather covering with small flaws. Octagonal pear-shaped pommel.

Elegant, rare weapon in nearly pristine original condition. Pictured in: Ewart Oakeshott, Bastard Swords, The Seventh Parklane Arms Fair 1990 p. 16

Overall length: 51" (129.5 cm); Blade length: 40.2" (102 cm)

Attachment: 237.77 KB
Hand-and-a-half-Sword,-Southern-Germany-around-1560.png
Hand-and-a-Half Sword, Southern German, circa 1560

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hand-and-a-Half Sword, Southern Germany, circa 1510-1520

Slender, double-edged blade of flattened hexagonal section. The first quarter of its length having a fuller with a Passau Wolf mark. Slightly curved cross-guard with roped finials. The single guard ring is also decorated with roped ornamentation. Stepped, leather-covered grip, spirally-grooved pommel with flower-shaped brass peen button.

Overall length: 43.31" (110 cm); Blade length: 34.7" (88.2 cm)

Attachment: 148.39 KB
Hand-and-a-half-Sword,-southern-Germany-around-1510-20.png
Hand-and-a-Half Sword, Southern Germany, circa 1510-1520

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Longsword, Germany or Possibly Switzerland, circa 1525-1550

Blued hilt. Pear-shaped pommel with small button on top; horizontally re-curved quillons of circular section terminating in pear-shaped knobs like the pommel; Pas D`ane, with open cage of guards, one being a transverse bar joining the ring to the Pas D`ane; on the other side a bar projecting horizontally and ending in a knob like the quillons. Shouldered grip bound with cord. The double-edged blade of flattened hexagonal section at the hilt merging into convex towards the tip. Incised with the running wolf mark on one side.

Overall length: 52.56" (133.5 cm); Blade length: 40.63" (103.2 cm); Blade width: 1.65" (4.2 cm) at guard; Guard width: 8.78" (22.3 cm); Balance Point: 4.25" (10.8 cm) from the guard; Weight: 4.2 pounds (1.91 kg)

Wallace Collection A.478

Literature:

Attachment: 188.14 KB
Wallace-A478.png
Longsword, Germany or Possibly Switzerland, circa 1525-1550

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for posting up these swords with information and the links. A seemingly tireless effort but we know the effort and time spent to share these.

Cheers

GC
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Thank you for posting up these swords with information and the links. A seemingly tireless effort but we know the effort and time spent to share these.

Thanks, Glen. I appreciate the comment. I enjoy doing this type of thing from time to time as a stress reliever or just a way to keep my brain busy. Much of my efforts these days are put towards the myArmoury.com Facebook Page due to it being an easier publishing platform, but I'm trying to echo some of it here to some degree as I'm doing here.

More to come.

J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So has anyone found out much about that very distinctive ricasso design on some of these examples? It's the same as found on Albion's XIX blades, like the Gallowglass. I did a cursory search and read through of some threads here about the Gallowglass but didn't find anything specific, nor on the Albion page.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
So has anyone found out much about that very distinctive ricasso design on some of these examples? It's the same as found on Albion's XIX blades, like the Gallowglass. I did a cursory search and read through of some threads here about the Gallowglass but didn't find anything specific, nor on the Albion page.

It's a feature found on my Oakeshott Type XIX swords.

http://myArmoury.com/feature_spotxix.html
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=22778
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=26655
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=32510

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:

If you look in the XIX chapter in Oakeshott's, Records of the Medieval Sword, almost every XIX pictured has that design feature on the ricasso. Oakeshott talks about it a little, but has no information about why it was done or what it might mean.

Nathan, with all the photos that you have posted here and on Facebook of these German Bastard swords, I am amazed that there are so many in such good condition. The fact that they are a century or more younger than Medieval swords must be one factor.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you both. I had noticed the design on all the XIX blades from Albion, and had read the spotlight article, but did not remember much discussion about it. And I'll freely admit I did not think to use "Rosarial" as a search term! Big Grin Very interesting theory.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bastard or Hand-and-a-Half Sword, German, middle of the 16th century

Overall length: 47.17" (119.8 cm); Blade length: 38.74" (98.4 cm)

Attachment: 206.41 KB
Bastard-or-Hand-and-a-Half-Sword,-German,-middle-of-the-16th-century.png
Bastard or Hand-and-a-Half Sword, German, middle of the 16th century

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A German Bastard or Hand-and-a-Half Sword, circa 1530

The blade struck with a quatrefoil of star marks.

Overall length: 49.6" (126 cm); Blade length: 39.96" (101.5 cm)

Attachment: 294.46 KB
A-German-Bastard-or-Hand-and-a-Half-Sword,-circa-1530.png
A German Bastard or Hand-and-a-Half Sword, circa 1530

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Longsword, Germany, circa 1580 (hilt) and 14th century (blade)

The hilt of blued steel; pear-shaped pommel; straight quillons, round in section and ending in pear-shaped knobs with spiral-roped collar; side-ring on either side. Waisted grip bound with cord and covered with leather. The broad, double-edged blade has a shallow hollow running three-quarters of its length. The maker's mark is a bell within a shield, inlaid in copper on both faces 13.8 cm from the hilt.

Blade length: 37.6" (95.5 cm); Blade width: 2.125" (5.4 cm); Weight: 4.52 pounds (2.05 kg)

Wallace Collection A.477

Literature:

Attachment: 255.07 KB
Wallace-A477.png
Longsword, Germany, circa 1580 (hilt) and 14th century (blade)

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hand-and-a-half sword, Passau, Circa 1510-1520

Flattened, slender thrusting blade with a powerful, rhombic cross-section with a central ridge in the upper quarter. The cutting edge in places somewhat nicked. An orb mark is on each side with an inlaid Passau wolf mark on one. Curved cross-guard down-sloping towards blade and having a single guard-ring. Leather-covered, stepped grip with three ridges. Octagonal pommel with engraved decorative lines.

Overall length: 41.5" ( 105.5 cm); Blade length: 33.1" (84 cm)

Rare sword type in good condition. The blade can probably be attributed to a member of the Passauer Schwertfeger family Stantler. Compare to The Wallace Collection's A.479.

Attachment: 312.13 KB
Hand-and-a-half-sword,-Passau,-circa-1510-20.png
Hand-and-a-half sword, Passau, Circa 1510-1520

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of later bastard sword hilts
Page 5 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: