Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A Danish War Axe New Model Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: A&A Danish War Axe New Model         Reply with quote

An update to our Danish War Axe and Moonbrand added to our Custom Gallery

We decide to update our Danish War Axe with a replica of a very similar axe with a slightly different style of socket and slightly adjusted blade shape. These are all hand cut so there is a slight variation normally, but we thought this piece would match some of the requests we have been getting of late. We think its a nice variation for an update Happy

We have also added another piece to our custom gallery. This iconic sword is one of our favorites. It was one of Ewart’s treasured swords and integral to his research. He called it “Moonbrand”. A glorious 12th C sword of impressive form. Eek!

We want to thank all the folks who have contacted us to help them with their Christmas plans Wink we hope the results will make gift opening a great event this year!!

Happy Holidays to all!
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the profile of the updated Danish axe a lot! Do these have the diamond shaped cross section at the edge? Also, how are these made? Stock removal, forging, casting?
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Axe details         Reply with quote

Hello Mike

They still have the same edge geometry. The blade steel flows to a convex cutting edge. Construction wise the socket is cast and the blade is 1050 steel welded to the socket with a hardened and tempered edge.

Variations on this would be possible for an additional fee.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best
Craig
Mike Ruhala

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I was really wondering how these were being made since a straight stock removal method would take forever and probably have to begin with a piece of steel weighing 70lbs. Forged axes are $$$$ and a cast blade would be undesirable. This seems like a good compromise, the cast component is compact and meaty and the blade is reliable rolled steel. I imagine you'd break the haft before you'd damage the head.

I really appreciate your custom work, too. My semi-custom Durer has been excellent, it will cleanly cut a tatami omote mat with the last few inches of the blade. I may have to talk to you about an axe in the coming months.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,

It might be worth doing a comparison and contrast photo of the old A&A Danish Axe and the new one to help better illustrate the differences between the two.

Out of curiosity, why the 12th century dating for Moonbrand? I can see 14th century, or even 13th, but the combination of the hilt furnishing, the multiple fullered blade, and the fact that Moonbrand is an Oakeshott XIV blade makes the 12th century seem highly unlikely to me.
J.D. Crawford

(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think 12th c was a typo, since the detailed description on the A&A site gives the expected 14th c date.

I love this version of Moonbrand, especially seeing it next to the original.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A Danish War Axe New Model
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic