myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Shields Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just pruned this topic of some promotional posts. Please keep that stuff off this forum.

Thanks.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Harry Lindfors

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A relative of mine is into larping, so I promised to make something for her. This shield is the result.

It's basically an average strapped heater, with a strong curve. Plywood bent to shape, the decals are thick felt, glued and nailed to place and then painted. A fun piece to make, even though it is purely fantasy.
Baard H

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

12th century shield for a Norwegian man at arms or lord.
Shape based on the Lewis Chess-pieces, the Bayeaux tapestry among others.
Colours and design from the Baldishol-tapestry.

Attachment: 492.27 KB
[ Download ]

At kveldi skal dag leyfa,
konu, er brennd er,
mćki, er reyndr er,
mey, er gefin er,
ís, er yfir kemr,
öl, er drukkit er.
-Hávamál, vísa 81
Greg Henrikson

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Rollo and shield. The shield is the basic one from vikingshield with added rawhide. I'm still trying to find someone else around here to try some techniques with it. The buckler crowd just runs away from me when I bring it to class ;-)
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is my faux-pavise. It's compressed plywood sheats and not planks, but the shape is good I think. Covered by several layers of linen and diluted glue. Paintjob and riveting by me. Kinda proud of the outcome of my first Fraktur font paintjob. Could pass as a fieldjob by a hungover foot soldier. Paints are linseed oil and pigment.

Danny Nguyen

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's mine, covered in leather and lacquered with silk on the back.

Attachment: 247.52 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 343.42 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 105.4 KB
[ Download ]
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Show Us Your Shields         Reply with quote

I noticed that the spider emblem on Danny's shield is akin to Venom's, one of Spider-Man's archenemies.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Kevin Coleman M.

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Shields!         Reply with quote

Canvas covered linden boards. Knocked these together over a weekend.

Attachment: 241.09 KB
[ Download ]
Zimke Zlovoljni

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My reconstruction of late 14th/early 15th century shield from the region of medieval Serbia, hope you like it.

Made out of laminated wood, bent into shape by press, once dried covered with several layers of linen using sinew glue. Leather straps colored using alcohol based paint to avoid staining on gauntlets when used.

Heraldry is painted with acrylic pigments, using water diluted wood glue as color binding, giving the color very slight gloss.

Shield shape is seen in several 14th century Serbian frescoes, as well as Orlando's pillar in Dubrovnik(Ragusa). Heraldry is based on 14th century Serbian heraldry as well as same symbols from "stecak" tombstones.

Eric Allen

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Broke in my new shield press with a pair of heater shields.

Basic "modern" construction--two pieces of 1/4" plywood glued together over a form to impart a curve. Covered front and back with linen. Painted with acrylics and given a coat of poly. Enarms and guige are leather, held on by carriage bolts, which will make it easier to replace the straps after I finally get some decent buckles.

The one, Gules a Cross Argent, is intended for my early-14th century Hospitaller kit as a renfair/costume piece. The other one, Per Pale Purpure and Vert, a Crocus Flower Or, is just for fun, and a symptom of having a wife who loves Disney movies.

[/img]
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Slowly putting together a kit... Late 12th C flat-topped kite shield. Sort of historical, based on Rolandslied of Konrad Pfaffe, AD 1180-1200.

I like the wood, so I left the back uncovered. Actual colors are a bit duller than in the photo, tried to recreate an ochre palette. The size is as accurate as I can get it - 20 x 40 inches - based on measurements and shield-to-body proportions from illuminated manuscripts.I covered the shield in canvas instead of leather. I use leather only on my fighting shields, and this one is for show. It gets expensive covering shields with leather, even if it is only 1-2 oz. pigskin.

Attachment: 96.57 KB
Flat-Topped Kite Shield 2.jpg

Attachment: 173.54 KB
427-10_large.jpg

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
Slowly putting together a kit... Late 12th C flat-topped kite shield. Sort of historical, based on Rolandslied of Konrad Pfaffe, AD 1180-1200.

I like the wood, so I left the back uncovered. Actual colors are a bit duller than in the photo, tried to recreate an ochre palette. The size is as accurate as I can get it - 20 x 40 inches - based on measurements and shield-to-body proportions from illuminated manuscripts.I covered the shield in canvas instead of leather. I use leather only on my fighting shields, and this one is for show. It gets expensive covering shields with leather, even if it is only 1-2 oz. pigskin.

Sublime, Harry. This is precisely the kind of shield I'd like to reproduce- the two models I'd want to work from are either the Rolandslied or Hortus Deliciarum. I love that you've captured the narrow, tapering shape of these shields, which very few makers seem to create, and that you've elected to have horizontal strapping only- another feature commonly seen in the manuscripts.

Well done.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Craig
Paul Greathouse

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the shields in my collection. Most of them are self explanatory, the round shields are maple rimmed with rawhide, except for the yellow with green snake, which is the end of an oaken barrel. It is ridiculously heavy and is used as a "training shield". The hexagonal Germanic shields are unfinished as of now, pine with a rawhide face, and will be painted soon, but I lack the funds for the umbos, so that project is on hold for now. The small ones are for my two daughters, 5 and 2. The tall heater shields are painted with the arms of Oain Glyndwyr and the English crown at the time of the Welsh revolution. All of the curved shields are bent plywood faced with canvas and edged with rawhide. I made all of these in my spare time, and most of them have been seriously put through their paces. I have been fairly happy with their performance but am very excited to use the hex shields, they seem very fun.

-Paul

Attachment: 183.89 KB
tall heater.jpg

Attachment: 161.37 KB
heater shields.jpg

Attachment: 150.96 KB
kite shields.jpg

Attachment: 205.63 KB
blue and red round shields.jpg

Attachment: 220.14 KB
training shield.jpg

Attachment: 186.45 KB
round shields 2.jpg

Attachment: 106.33 KB
hex shields.jpg

Attachment: 133.56 KB
kids shields.jpg

Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul there's a lot of work there!
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry,

I really like your kite shield. I would recommend putting a cover over the back as well, as all existing high medieval shields have. Whether or not you are actually using parchment and planks, the concept remains that a covering will prevent splintering and fracturing or the blank. It will simply look more historical and - if your construction methods are correct - function that way as well.

Cheers!

-Gregory
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
...I would recommend putting a cover over the back as well...

I know.... but I chose not to do so, that's why I wrote that my shield was "sort of historical...." Happy
Aaron T. Kelley

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So i ran across this thread looking some some late period German armor. So i figured i would post my last months work and work in progress.

The kite is a play on my SCA device with a mix of my Lady's heraldry. The Heater is a version 2 of my device and the final heater is a work in progress based on the Tarot Card- Strength.

Harald Schneider

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Kids Viking budget         Reply with quote

Last year I made two Viking Shields on request for my boys. They have faithfully served in a number of battles ever since and are still in good shape. I had to refix the handles a eventually, but otherwise I am contend. The TCO for both was about 15 Euros. The only catch was a string of "orders" for similar shields from their classmates and friends ;-)
Andrew Pribor

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Recently completed Targe with a contemporary Green Man design.
Stats:
20" diameter birch plywood base with 4oz hand carved/tooled design.
Colored with alcohol based leather dyes(no paint)
Sheep shearling padding on back.

Attachment: 159.14 KB
IMG_1128-2.jpg

Attachment: 172.67 KB
IMG_1126-2.jpg

"The Bow brings grief and sorrow to the foeman; armed with Bow may we sudue all regions."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Shields
Page 12 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: