Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How much should one sell a maille byrnie for? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dara Mag Uiginn

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: How much should one sell a maille byrnie for?         Reply with quote

I started working maille a wile back and I'm closing in on my goal for the required components for a euro 4 in 1 chainmail byrnie, made with 14 ga butted galvanized steel. My question is this: What would you guys purchase such an item for, on average? I wouldn't be selling it online, probably at a local craft faire or something. The maille is well put together so far (I'm a bit of a perfectionist!) and I'm feeling good about the assembly, so assume it's of medium quality.
"It is perfectly true, as the philosophers say, that life must be understood backwards. But they forget the other proposition, that it must be lived forwards."
-Søren Kierkegaard
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Butted shirts only sell for a couple of hundred dollars online. If you can get accurate measurements from your potential buyer and tailor it to fit properly, you could add more to the price.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Dara Mag Uiginn

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Butted shirts only sell for a couple of hundred dollars online. If you can get accurate measurements from your potential buyer and tailor it to fit properly, you could add more to the price.

Thanks, man. I chose butted because I could never make riveted 'from scratch', and I don't have the electrical epertise to weld (besides, it's dangerous to weld galvy.) It's also pretty hard to find stainless wire. Do you have any idea where one could acquire some? You seem like you know what you're doing.

"It is perfectly true, as the philosophers say, that life must be understood backwards. But they forget the other proposition, that it must be lived forwards."
-Søren Kierkegaard
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I live in Australia. I'm not sure there would be any point telling you where I purchase my stuff. Personally I prefer galvanised to stainless because it is cheaper, easier to find, and looks better.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Collin D

PostPosted: Sat 28 Nov, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Ring Lord is hands-down the most popular place for maille supplies in North America, and they're about as cheap as you'll find. I've heard that you can find a small selection of wires good for maille at fence supply stores, but I've never been to such a store so I can't confirm that. Plus it would require making your own rings from wire which some people prefer, but I've decided that for me the time saved is worth the extra cost of pre-made rings.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How much should one sell a maille byrnie for?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic