Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Fighting with the German Longsword - Revised and Expanded Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christian Henry Tobler

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Fighting with the German Longsword - Revised and Expanded         Reply with quote

*** Now Available! ***

Out of print for several years, one of the best selling Western martial arts titles returns!

Recorded over six centuries ago, the teachings of the 14th-century Master-at-Arms Johannes Liechtenauer have been given new life by a world-wide community of modern swordsmen and women, fascinated by the elegance, efficiency and depth of his unique martial art.

Christian Henry Tobler was one of the pioneers in reviving the medieval Master’s art. Back in 2004, he created the first, published syllabus for training with the two-handed longsword in the tradition of the 14th-century Master-at-Arms Johannes Liechtenauer. Fully rewritten and revised with all-new drills and photography, this expanded edition brings to bear a decade of refinement, creating a definitive, “how to” guide with step-by-step instructions for executing the core techniques of the Liechtenauer tradition. Additional chapters introduce students to wrestling, spear and armoured combat; demonstrating the art’s depth and breadth. Heavily photo-illustrated, the book also makes use of decision-trees and training drills to aid in learning.

Used as a complete, self-contained course, or a primer for studying the original medieval works themselves, this unique book will be invaluable to martial artists, reenactors, medieval historians, or anyone who has ever wondered “how did knights fight?”

'Fighting with the German Longsword' is available in three formats:

- A black & white paperback
- A full-color eBook
- and...a special edition, author-signed, color hardback + the color eBook Free!

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Nice work!         Reply with quote

Nice work Christian. Until it became unavailable, your original version was my chapter's go to book for new students before introducing them to Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Longsword. I'm excited to give this new edition a look and waiting for Amazon to tell me it shipped... Happy

I'm curious, as a retrospective, which of your interpretations changed the most between editions?

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal

Last edited by T. Arndt on Tue 01 Dec, 2015 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Tylor!

Thanks for the kind words.

I'd say one change that follows throughout is the right side vom Tag. I had that held above the shoulder before, now it's on the shoulder, per a literal read of the text and in accord with the von Danzig drawing of the guard.

I make use of cross-line passes for some actions, such as the feint from upper to lower Zwerchhau and in some changing through actions. Speaking of that stroke, I show the 'flat on the shoulder' variant of vom Tag as a potential starting point.

Also, my Krumphau is angled more forward and less perpendicular to the line of engagement.

That's the more obvious stuff - there are many other subtle changes in mechanics, choice of techniques (notably in the Ringen am Schwert), and expansion of material that you'll find.

I hope you enjoy it! Thanks again for your support.

All the best,
Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Dec, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Hello Tylor! Thanks for the kind words.

You are very welcome.

I'd say one change that follows throughout is the right side vom Tag. I had that held above the shoulder before, now it's on the shoulder, per a literal read of the text and in accord with the von Danzig drawing of the guard.

Good to hear, when I first read your original edition I was holding vom Tag as you illustrated; however, since then I have switched to what sounds like something very similar to what is described above, so this is a most welcome change.

I make use of cross-line passes for some actions, such as the feint from upper to lower Zwerchhau and in some changing through actions. Speaking of that stroke, I show the 'flat on the shoulder' variant of vom Tag as a potential starting point.

Also, my Krumphau is angled more forward and less perpendicular to the line of engagement.

That's the more obvious stuff - there are many other subtle changes in mechanics, choice of techniques (notably in the Ringen am Schwert), and expansion of material that you'll find.

Sounds like you have been doing a good job to make the new edition "state-of-the-art" Razz

I hope you enjoy it! Thanks again for your support.

I have no doubt I will, thanks again for the countless hours this work represents.

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Joe Brown

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Just missed it         Reply with quote

I just missed it, Amazon has it as out of stock. I will have to keep a close eye out for a copy.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Purpleheart armory has it in stock here. http://www.woodenswords.com/product_p/book-fightinggermanls.htm
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Joe Brown

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jan, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Got it thanks         Reply with quote

Just ordered a copy thanks for the link.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Fighting with the German Longsword - Revised and Expanded
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic