Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > French Cuirassier Sword An XI Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gerardo Alamos

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: French Cuirassier Sword An XI         Reply with quote

Dear All, I just acquired this French cuirassier sword An XI. Please help me confirm it is an authentical piece. Many thanks!

Attachment: 454.58 KB
12.jpg

Attachment: 384.92 KB
16.jpg

Attachment: 285.82 KB
19.jpg

Attachment: 453.5 KB
26.jpg

Attachment: 287.97 KB
22.jpg

Attachment: 448.54 KB
24.jpg

Attachment: 391.79 KB
04.jpg

Attachment: 466.77 KB
13.jpg

Attachment: 495.61 KB
11.jpg

Dara Mag Uiginn

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't tell if the blade is authentic or not, as I'm an amateur, but my guess would tend towards yes, as it would be fairly difficult to fake that yellowing on the grip. In my experience, such discoloration only occurs on older items. I see it a lot on older books. It gives them that 'old' smell. So, in my unprofessional opinion, it's either a genuine blade in relatively excellent condition or a fairly old fake. Either way, it's been well cared for, and is a beautiful saber.

The inscription on the blade probably refers to June 24, 1812, the day that Napoleon I began his invasion of Russia by crossing the Neman river. But you probably know that already.

"It is perfectly true, as the philosophers say, that life must be understood backwards. But they forget the other proposition, that it must be lived forwards."
-Søren Kierkegaard
Gerardo Alamos

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinion! Cheers!
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gerardo,
You have got a splendidly well-preserved example of the French cuirassier sword. Apart from looking almost too good to be true, it seems exactly right - the hilt and blade marks match other swords of this and the chasseurs' model. The inscription on the back of the blade is the factory (Klingenthal) and date of manufacture. I have an example of the chasseur sabre marked Klingenthal juillet 1812. These swords were also made in Versailles. Well done.
Neil

N Melville
Gerardo Alamos

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Neil, thank you very much for your help.
Although I'm an Álamos, I'm half Scott from my mother's side. The Swinburn (or Swinburne) Family is from Northumbria. Sometimes, they would fight for the English and sometimes for the Scotts. Since my grandfather was a Swinburn Kirk, I guess I can say we were finally "conquered" by the Scotts. Best regards.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > French Cuirassier Sword An XI
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic