Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Jelling (Paul Binns) Late Viking sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Jelling (Paul Binns) Late Viking sword         Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking for a blunt sword of a style that is suitable 10th to c.a early 14th century (Visby era) reenactment and HEMA fighting so I've been looking at the Jelling Dragon Late Viking sword, 11th Century sword:

http://www.jelldragon.com/images/ph_norman_sword.jpg

I have a few questions:
Does anybody have one of these swords and are these Jelling swords any good?
What is the grip length on this sword (the original had a grip length of about 8-10 cm)?
Also does this blade really have a couple of extra fullers running down the edge of the blade?

Regards
KR
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't answer most of the questions, but what I would say is that I doubt very much this sword has anything to do with Paul Binns

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is Hanwei Norman blunt sword. Not a replica of any historical sword, but hilt is of a style aproppriate for 11th/12th century. The blade is for stage fighting and doesn't look historical. And since it's a Hanwei, it will nick in contact with better swords. I suggest you to look at Viktor Berbekucz products. I fight with a Berbekucz sword for about 3 years now and it's still in a very good condition.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why not go straight to his web-site? http://www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk/

From what I've read, reenactors are very happy with his swords, and he is well liked personally: http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=149002

Having said that, I don't like they way his swords look, even the higher priced 'collectors' line. The historical proportions and details are off, giving them a rough and cartoonish look. But that's just a personal opinion based on internet pictures.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have Paul's pattern welded seax and it is a work of art, very historical, but yes, his swords do have that stage combat, unrealistic look sometimes. But some, especially his pattern welded migration era/early viking age swords look very historical and beautiful.
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
This is Hanwei Norman blunt sword. Not a replica of any historical sword, but hilt is of a style aproppriate for 11th/12th century. The blade is for stage fighting and doesn't look historical. And since it's a Hanwei, it will nick in contact with better swords. I suggest you to look at Viktor Berbekucz products. I fight with a Berbekucz sword for about 3 years now and it's still in a very good condition.

I had no idea who made these things although I did know that the Hanwei swords are made from softer steel. I just read in some forum post that the Jelling swords were made by Mr. Binns but since I had gone to his we page already I was having my doubts since these Jelling swords look nothing like Mr. Bins' blades and the price was too low. I e-mailed Mr. Binns but I don't expect much since I heard his waiting list is over a year and I don't want to wait that long.

Oh, and thanks for the link to Mr. Berbekucz's page, I appreciate any referrals to good smiths. I also took a look at Albion but their stuff is way too expensive. Then there is Armour Class which seems to make good swords. Anybody have opinions on those makers?

Last edited by Kristjan Runarsson on Mon 09 Nov, 2015 4:30 am; edited 2 times in total
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heron Armoury, (Tim Noyes) http://www.heronarmoury.com/9th-13th-Broad-Swords.php

I don't have any personal experience with this, but most of it looks nice and he offers blunts for reenactment as well.
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Nicolaysen wrote:
Heron Armoury, (Tim Noyes) http://www.heronarmoury.com/9th-13th-Broad-Swords.php

I don't have any personal experience with this, but most of it looks nice and he offers blunts for reenactment as well.

Thanks that's a good link.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take a look at The Albion Skirmish Line swords - should be good for reenactment.. Albion makes great blunts. If you want something later than Viking era, look at their Maestro Line The I:33 is a good solid singlehander.

As mentioned, the photo in your first post is of the Hanwei Practical Norman. More photos and specs for it Here It isnt a high quality item, and I don't recommend it.
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The swords made by Armour Class are both good quality and good value for money, at least their 17th century swords are so I imagine their medieval swords are too.
Neil

N Melville
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Sun 08 Nov, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys I've now got so many choices I'll have hard time making up my mind...
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got a mail from Jelling, apparently that picture was not up to date. The Jelling swords are UK made and the blades are crafted from 1065 high-carbon steel, hardened to 50HRC (Rockwell). So not soft steel Chinese made budget swords to make that clear for others shopping for swords who read this thread.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion's 13th Century Knightly Sword from the Squire Line would also be an excellent choice if you wanted a sword that looked more the part of a reenactment weapon, without the rounded edges, while still having a thicker edge than some swords. It will be quite agile in-hand since it's similar to the Next Generation Knight, and it looks very good, too.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...ightly.htm
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kristjan Runarsson wrote:
Just got a mail from Jelling, apparently that picture was not up to date. The Jelling swords are UK made and the blades are crafted from 1065 high-carbon steel, hardened to 50HRC (Rockwell). So not soft steel Chinese made budget swords to make that clear for others shopping for swords who read this thread.

That is strange. I looked at it on the website. and it has the model number PHSH2326. The model number for the Hanwei Practical Norman is SH2326.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All swords I see on their page are either Hanwei or Armour Class.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

That is strange. I looked at it on the website. and it has the model number PHSH2326. The model number for the Hanwei Practical Norman is SH2326.

Yeah, I'd be rather cautious with that site until all such inconsistencies are resolved. There have been notorious cases where someone has (allegedly!) tried to pass off inexpensive Asian-made swords as locally made quality swords.

BTW, I don't think that all Asian-made swords are necessarily bad or have poor steel, but other things may go off in a work environment that is all about volume instead of quality control. I wouldn't buy unless I can inspect it myself.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Yeah, I'd be rather cautious with that site until all such inconsistencies are resolved. There have been notorious cases where someone has (allegedly!) tried to pass off inexpensive Asian-made swords as locally made quality swords.

BTW, I don't think that all Asian-made swords are necessarily bad or have poor steel, but other things may go off in a work environment that is all about volume instead of quality control. I wouldn't buy unless I can inspect it myself.

Price difference -

At KOA, the SH2326 is $138.00
At Jelling Dragon, the PHSH2326 is £149 ($223.50)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Jelling (Paul Binns) Late Viking sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic