Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Solingen Opinions Needed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Malick

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Albion Solingen Opinions Needed         Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone here has owned or handled the Solingen by Albion and what your opinion of it is particularly it's cutting ability?

Thanks,

John
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you read our hands-on review?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
John Malick

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I did read the hands on review several times over the past few weeks. I was just hoping for a few more opinions also in the review unfortunately there is no mention of its actual cutting ability or how it behaves while cutting different mediums like bottles or mats or rolled news paper.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't seen anyone post a review on the Solingen's cutting performance. Speculating a little bit, I would imagine it cuts somewhat similar to a Type XII such as Albion's Knight. With the Knight it was not particularly difficult to cut through a piece of bone in lamb meat that was nearly one cm in diameter. I would imagine the Solingen should be able to perform comparably; although it has a slightly less wide blade near the point compared with the Knight, the Solingen sounds like it has a bit more presence and authority.

However, maybe someone who has actually cut with the Solingen can comment on it and provide pictures showing it in use.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3203&highlight=

i will check. I think David Kite posted an informal picture report on how the edges held up to some tough cutting against a metal rimmed shield.

Sorry, the original post seems to have been replaced with the current more standardized review.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Sorry, the original post seems to have been replaced with the current more standardized review.

We wouldn't have replaced any posts. Not sure what you mean.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
John Malick

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the review the durability of the sword is mentioned and because it is tested against chain mail, hit against another sword and against a steel buckler. The worst damaged came from hitting the other sword which is the damage you see in the picture. I just wish the author had mentioned how it actual performed while cutting different mediums.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Years ago, I did some cutting with the Solingen prototype during a visit to Albion. I found it to be a good cutter against tatami mats. It's not quite as nimble as the Knight since it has a bit more blade mass, but a very nice example of the type.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Years ago, I did some cutting with the Solingen prototype during a visit to Albion. I found it to be a good cutter against tatami mats. It's not quite as nimble as the Knight since it has a bit more blade mass, but a very nice example of the type.

Yes, I would agree.

I own a Solingen and like it quite a bit. I would say that the knight has somewhat more "sweet" handling characteristics.
J. Helm

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any opinions/comments about the grip length of the Solingen? At 4.5 inches (according to David Kite's review) it seems a little longer than most one-handers. I have never seen any mention of it anywhere, so I assume most don't have a problem with it.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Helm wrote:
Does anyone have any opinions/comments about the grip length of the Solingen? At 4.5 inches (according to David Kite's review) it seems a little longer than most one-handers. I have never seen any mention of it anywhere, so I assume most don't have a problem with it.

Yes, there is plenty of room but I wouldn't describe the Solingen as having a "long" grip.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Helm wrote:

It doesn't look that long. According to Kult of Athena its 4.0"
J. Helm

PostPosted: Sun 01 Nov, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Yes, there is plenty of room but I wouldn't describe the Solingen as having a "long" grip.

J.D. Crawford wrote:

It doesn't look that long. According to Kult of Athena its 4.0"

OK, perhaps there is an error in the measurements by one or the other. My Yeoman grip is 4" and it has extra room due to my small hands, so any more than that seems unnecessary to me, but I haven't handled many swords to know if that makes much of a difference. It sounds like folks don't consider it to be an issue either way in this case at least though. Thanks for the feedback.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Solingen Opinions Needed
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic