Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gjermundbu Viking Helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Connor DeLoach

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Gjermundbu Viking Helmet         Reply with quote

Hey I was wondering if anyone could recommend a historically accurate Gjermundbu helmet or a blacksmith who is capable of making them
Thanks, Connor
Joe A

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gjermundbu Viking Helmet         Reply with quote

Connor DeLoach wrote:
Hey I was wondering if anyone could recommend a historically accurate Gjermundbu helmet or a blacksmith who is capable of making them
Thanks, Connor

http://www.royaloakarmoury.com/

You will be very happy in the end.
Carl W.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From their posted helmet work here on myArmoury (no direct experience with either) I'd agree with Joe's suggestion of Jeffrey Hildebrandt, plus consider Patryk Nieczarowski. His link copied in below has a gallery of helmets...
http://www.artmajeur.com/en/artist/nieczar/collections

Both Jeffrey & Patryk appear to do amazing work, see their Makers posts here. Offhand I can't recall another custom helmet maker since Mercenary's Tailor went out of business (sadly, I have one of Allan's helmets). Hopefully some other suggestions will be posted to refresh our choices.
Connor DeLoach

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Gjermundbu helmet         Reply with quote

Do you think that thorkil or royal oak armories could make a Gjermundbu on a budget of $200, he has not replied to my email yet that I sent a couple days ago
Thanks, Connor
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think that any first world armourer could make an accurate Gjermundbu helmet for $200.
"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the other hand, there are plenty of off the shelf offerings in that price range

http://www.gdfb.co.uk/gjermundbu-style-helmet-649-p.asp

http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Battle-...:2145.html

Of varying quality in form and function of course

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep. If you don't want quality work then you may as well buy one off the shelf from one of the Indian suppliers. A $200 request for an accurate replica will not be taken seriously by any of the reputable manufacturers.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Connor DeLoach

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well there is always room to increase the budget but what do you guys think would be the less expensive option other than cheap Indian replicas?
Thanks, Connor
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A conical helm of one piece or spangen construction is a viable alternative for the late 10th century. Or you could buy a naalbinding (naalbound?) hat.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Connor DeLoach

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well in any case what does thorkil charge for a standard Gjermundbu helmet because I think I can increase my budget
Thanks, Connor
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 23 Oct, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Connor,

Since you don't seem to have bought many helmets before, you want to keep in mind that good quality helmets tend to cost $400 USD at the low end, to beyond $1,200 depending upon the nature of helmet, how much decoration there is, etc.

A good quality reproduction of the Gjermundbu Helmet is going to be closer to the $1,200 range. In a sense, asking for a "historically accurate" Gjermundbu Helmet that costs $200 is similar to expecting to pay $2,000 USD for a new car- it's not likely to happen. Wink

Edit: I just realized I was thinking of the Sutton Hoo helmet when I gave the price, and not the Gjermundbu helmet. Still, $200 is much too cheap for a good reproduction of the Gjermundbu helmet.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gjermundbu helmet         Reply with quote

Connor DeLoach wrote:
Do you think that thorkil or royal oak armories could make a Gjermundbu on a budget of $200,

No.
This is the one which Jeffrey made for a friend of mine.
http://www.royaloakarmoury.com/portfolio/gjermundbu-helmet/

It's a good price for a deceptively complex helmet.

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 25 Oct, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gjermundbu helmet         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
Connor DeLoach wrote:
Do you think that thorkil or royal oak armories could make a Gjermundbu on a budget of $200,

No.
This is the one which Jeffrey made for a friend of mine.
http://www.royaloakarmoury.com/portfolio/gjermundbu-helmet/

It's a good price for a deceptively complex helmet.

Note that if Jeffrey's replica is completed with a chinstrap and liner, that the price approaches $1000 CDN. This is what you should expect to pay for a decent helmet replica.

Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gjermundbu helmet         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

Note that if Jeffrey's replica is completed with a chinstrap and liner, that the price approaches $1000 CDN. This is what you should expect to pay for a decent helmet replica.

I don't think that there's any evidence that early medieval helmets were fitted with chinstraps or integrated liners?

With a properly fitting separate padded cap (for which, admittedly, there is an equal lack of evidence from the period), neither is necessary.

Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gjermundbu helmet         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

I don't think that there's any evidence that early medieval helmets were fitted with chinstraps or integrated liners?

With a properly fitting separate padded cap (for which, admittedly, there is an equal lack of evidence from the period), neither is necessary.

So what would the purpose of the holes along the bottom side of many examples be for, unless to sew in a liner?

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gjermundbu helmet         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
So what would the purpose of the holes along the bottom side of many examples be for, unless to sew in a liner?

Attaching a camail, perhaps?
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gjermundbu helmet         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Attaching a camail, perhaps?

You can usually tell which by the size of the holes. Small holes are for a liner. Larger holes are for attaching mail.

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 26 Oct, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why wouldn't the camail possibly be sewn to some sort of separate material that used the smaller holes? Though I realize there are surviving helmets with camails attached directly to the helmets, the alternative use of an intermediate material cannot be ruled out.

I personally see nothing unrealistic with providing liners in early medieval helmets. The practice was used throughout the Roman period and there's no reason for it to have simply disappeared when Europe clung to so much of the rest of the ancient material culture. However, my last message was simply a response to the inquiry about an alternative possibility for the holes... A camail seems reasonable enough!

-Gregory
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
The practice was used throughout the Roman period

Integrated liners?

Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gjermundbu helmet         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

Sorry Robin, within an early (ie pre 12th century) medeieval context, which ones are you referring to?
A small number of the 5th/6th century 'Gothic' spangenshelms have some holes around the rim but the total absence of any textile remains plus the wear patterns on some of the holes suggests something suspended (either mail or some other form of neck and/or cheek protection) rather than an integrated liner.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gjermundbu Viking Helmet
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: