Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Can anyone help me construct a dagger hilt, please? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Can anyone help me construct a dagger hilt, please?         Reply with quote

I acquired a janbiya / jambiya dagger blade recently, but it came without a hilt. I have shaped a grip and pommel out of oak, but I prefer a steel guard, so I bought a mild steel guard blank from Albion. As you can see from the attached photos, the hole in the guard needs to be reshaped.

I plan to reshape it with a ball peen hammer and chisel, but I'm not sure how heavy a hammer I'll need to reshape this (relatively) quickly, and if I go to the local hardware store and start banging away with various hammers, I think they'll complain. Razz Any suggestions? (I think a 16-ounce hammer would do the job, but I'd like to get the right weight from the start.)

After that, I want to secure the tang temporarily so I can check the balance while I do some test cutting. I plan to use a very small cobalt drill bit to drill three holes through the top of the grip, through the tang, and out the opposite side of the grip, then secure it with nails, hammered over on either side, to hold it in place temporarily. Is this a stupid idea?

Attachment: 14.08 KB
Guard and Tang project -- image 1.jpg

Attachment: 34.82 KB
Guard and Tang project -- image 2.jpg

Attachment: 118.56 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 144.79 KB
[ Download ]

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Carl,
If you need to make the hole broader and shorter, to fit the tang, I would advice filing - it could look painstaking, but at the end it would be faster, cleaner, and you donīt risk cracking your guard. Just broaden the hole at the exact length to fit the tang, and you donīt need to care about the rest. You could also add small steel wedges to secure it on both sides.
If you do it right, you donīt need to bother about securing it temporarily to the tang while checking the balance - the whole piece will just hold together. Alternatively, you could still secure it faster with small wedges.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Radovan Geist wrote:
Hi Carl,
If you need to make the hole broader and shorter, to fit the tang, I would advice filing - it could look painstaking, but at the end it would be faster, cleaner, and you donīt risk cracking your guard. Just broaden the hole at the exact length to fit the tang, and you donīt need to care about the rest. You could also add small steel wedges to secure it on both sides.
If you do it right, you donīt need to bother about securing it temporarily to the tang while checking the balance - the whole piece will just hold together. Alternatively, you could still secure it faster with small wedges.

I have a decent file, and if it's not good enough, I can borrow one from a friend. That might work very well. Thanks!

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Radovan Geist

PostPosted: Thu 15 Oct, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

good luck:) and let us know about the result!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Can anyone help me construct a dagger hilt, please?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic