Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vince Evans Early 18th Century Jacobite DirkProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Vince Evans Early 18th Century Jacobite Dirk         Reply with quote

Being a collector of cool stuff is a really great when finances allow for it, but when there's no available money to put into such hobbies, one has to get creative. Over the last several years, the only new things I've acquired have been from selling off items and recycling the money. I've not spent any "new" cash on any arms and armour related purchases in a long, long time.

The money from the last thing I sold ended up not getting reinvested but instead went towards bills and other necessities. Bummer, right? A few weeks after this, I was really frustrated to see a great new Scottish dirk made by Vince Evans pop up that was available for purchase. I wanted it and I knew I had to figure something out.

So I took on the most annoying freelance project I think I've ever had. I endured several meetings with clients who literally screamed at each other while I sat there and watched all kinds of dysfunction. The work itself was boring and annoying and I didn't get a lot of sleep for a week... but at the end of it, the money earned paid off some bills and left enough to allow me to purchase the dirk. Sweet!

Vince Evans Early 18th Century Jacobite Dirk
This piece is inspired by an early 18th century Jacobite example that was shown on The Scottish Sword & Shield Web site. The antique has some strange proportions: it's very, very long and has an absolutely tiny hilt to it. It also has an unusual, but attractive, feature of a brass backing on the blade.

Vince tweaked the proportions while keeping the spirit of the original. He got rid of all the "squatty" characteristics of the antique, making for what I can only assume is a much more usable weapon (for anyone not having child-sized hands). He also chose not to do the brass backing but instead engrave the design on the blade and also add engraving to the spine.

The final outcome is a beautiful piece that feels perfect in hand. It's larger than the other dirks I own but still extremely wieldable due to the overall shape and mass distribution. The wide blade at the base and extremely acutely tapered blade gives the dirk a really sinister, dangerous impression but this is offset by the beautiful intricate carving of the grip. I tend to like things that balance opposing characteristics like this so this hits the mark for me perfectly.

The single-edged blade is made of 5160 steel and has two fullers; one extending three-quarters of the length and another shorter, wider blade extending only the first quarter. A sharpened false edge runs down the last several inches.

The dirk has a grip carved from walnut, antique brass mounts, and a leather scabbard also with antique brass mounts. The pommel cap is pierced with designs of stylized hearts formed from conjoined circles and bars.

Overall length: 18.3125" (46.5 cm); Blade length: 14.5" (37 cm); Blade width: 1.5625" (39.7 mm); Blade thickness at spine: 0.25" (6.35 mm); Hilt length (including brass): 3.875" (9.8 cm); Grip length (wooden section): 3.5" (8.9 cm)

Please view the photos below or see higher-resolution versions with much more detail in this photo album.

I'm thrilled to own this. I probably wouldn't have sprung for it had the freelance gig not been the project from hell. I'm glad I did, and I suppose in the end I'm thankful to have had that project. In fact, I'm looking for more, hopefully not so dysfunctional, jobs. Keep 'em coming.

Attachment: 417.09 KB
VE_JacobiteDirk01_s.png

Attachment: 374.13 KB
VE_JacobiteDirk02_s.png

Attachment: 364.31 KB
VE_JacobiteDirk03_s.png

Attachment: 373.11 KB
VE_JacobiteDirk04_s.png

Attachment: 365.93 KB
VE_JacobiteDirk05_s.png

Attachment: 681.29 KB
VE_JacobiteDirk_antique.png
Antique dirk, photograph copyright © Scottish Sword & Shield

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The detail on this one is typical Vince and Grace Evans, meaning it's outstanding. My favorite part is the pommel cap, I'm in love with the design. This is my favorite of all the dirks Vince has made.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous piece Nathan! Seems very worth a week of hellish work! That grip is just amazing. The original is so funky, I kinda like the brass spine it has. Just a superb piece to add to your marvelous collection!
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow...what a beautiful dirk. I like my Vince Evans dirk but this one is spectacular. Congratulations and worth, I am sure, the aggravation from the source of the money.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Jonathan Hodge

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is beautiful. I love the brass accents and warm wood color. The brass accents on the blade and scabbard are also a very nice touch. And the double fuller is a great tie-back to the original piece. Artisan-level work of this kind is rare indeed.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vince Evans shared a photo of the antique's spine showing the interesting interlaced pattern that he replicated.

Attachment: 645.51 KB
VEDirkSpine.png

Attachment: 63.92 KB
[ Download ]

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shown in context with a E.B. Erickson Canongate basket-hilt.

Higher resolution photos available in this photo album.

Attachment: 647.33 KB
VE_Dirk_EBE_Basket01.png
E.B. Erickson Canongate basket-hilt and Vince Evans early 18th century Jacobite dirk

Attachment: 644.17 KB
VE_Dirk_EBE_Basket02.png
E.B. Erickson Canongate basket-hilt and Vince Evans early 18th century Jacobite dirk

Carl W.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Oct, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for sharing this here. I like this dirk, a Lot. Congratulations!
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, that's a really beautiful dirk and looks great next to the basket-hilt. IMHO the modern version is much nicer than the antique - one doesn't often see that. I just finished yet another popular history book of Scottish history. Seeing these pieces almost makes me want to switch areas of interest in my collection. -JD
Alexander Ehlers

PostPosted: Sat 24 Oct, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to wear a Scottish Dirk, and participate in an American Civil War Reenactment. Many of them will be wearing Bowie Knifes, who is to say a soldier back then didn't have a dirk passed down to him?
Never give up without giving a fight, fighting is an opportunity for victory.
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful dirk, Nathan!

Fantastic job on the hilt, and yes, it has that warm lived -in look to it. altogether a fantastic piece!!

Thank you for these great photos.

Richard.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

J.D. Crawford wrote:
IMHO the modern version is much nicer than the antique - one doesn't often see that.

I have to say that I agree. The original is certainly "interesting" for many reasons, but has some very odd characteristics. I'm often drawn to this type of thing, but in this case, the version Vince created is much more pleasing and I imagine, usable.

Todd Salazar

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I owned the original at one time and the proportions of it are very unusual indeed. Overall, a beautiful design and look! Happy A terrific addition to your collection, Nathan!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vince Evans Early 18th Century Jacobite DirkProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic